Motoactv

Search This thread

scuzzynut

Apr 16, 2012
New start

I used the root tool to root. Now that I know how to perform a system restore and start from the first stage I want to make the attempt once again to root with the root tool and perform the proper set up. Fast forward to the root process being finished. How do I communicate to the device if the adb is enabled? What folder in the MotoActv do I install the necessery files to utilize it as a rooted device? I know this is a lot of questions. At this point I have turned this forum into rooting for dummies, but....what can I say, I'm learning. The last thing I programmed was an altera board for a project back in my DeVry days. HAHA

ClearD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
I used the root tool to root. Now that I know how to perform a system restore and start from the first stage I want to make the attempt once again to root with the root tool and perform the proper set up. Fast forward to the root process being finished. How do I communicate to the device if the adb is enabled? What folder in the MotoActv do I install the necessery files to utilize it as a rooted device? I know this is a lot of questions. At this point I have turned this forum into rooting for dummies, but....what can I say, I'm learning. The last thing I programmed was an altera board for a project back in my DeVry days. HAHA

If the root process has finished and you are rebooted, it will look exactly like it used to. You can use Jay's easymodder script (in the wiki) to easily load a launcher, if you don't want to use adb to do it manually. You can flash roms with clockworkmod, after using the adb command:

Code:
adb reboot recovery

to reboot back into recovery. You can also make a full backup in recovery, which is always good to do before modding, but if you made one with the root tool, that will work just the same. :)

CEnnis91

Feb 3, 2012
Playing Around

So I've been playing around with different things on the MotoActv, now that I have it. I've basically been trying to figure out how to perform different daily activities. Here's my conclusions/findings/whatnot so far:

1) Avoid other virtual keyboards as much as possible; the stock one is FINE, only in rare cases should it be used. (ie Jefit Pro works -- someone asked about that -- but to sign in, you need a 3rd party keyboard); Wifi Keyboard is a decent solution, adb forwarding doesn't work however, and you obviously need wifi for it to work.

2) You can actually access apps in the stock launcher; hit w.e your menu button is (I don't remember reading this, but I might be repeating)

3) I hacked in screenshot functionality using CMScreenshot, just have to bind it to a keycode

4) I should have a way to bind keys, even bringing back the original Start and Media keys IN ADDITION to HOME and MENU from the keymap mod

5) If you're going to run root this and run 3rd party software, the keymap mod is a must, I tried to avoid it, it gets annoying

6) The notification LED is only 1 color (white) but can be anywhere from 0 (off) to 255 (on)

7) DPI changes suck, I wouldn't support them in a ROM, unless they are repackaged the moto apps to run at something like 95; we're already pushing the limits of this device, if the app doesn't work visually, give it up =)

8) There won't be any rotated display because it's disabled at the kernel level; we could/have hacked it back in, but it would break shake to wake, because Motorola never updated the source =( -- I see Ultimate Rotation Control works, but that's not exactly a free or elegant solution; is there really much interest in getting auto rotation working?

9) After using this for quite a bit, I've yet to see the need for a market, but I will still put that in the rom, just a little note.

10) Most used feature so far: Pandora -- seriously Pandora on this is probably one of the coolest things you could install

speedyink

Sep 10, 2010
1) Avoid other virtual keyboards as much as possible; the stock one is FINE, only in rare cases should it be used. (ie Jefit Pro works -- someone asked about that -- but to sign in, you need a 3rd party keyboard); Wifi Keyboard is a decent solution, adb forwarding doesn't work however, and you obviously need wifi for it to work.

8) There won't be any rotated display because it's disabled at the kernel level; we could/have hacked it back in, but it would break shake to wake, because Motorola never updated the source =( -- I see Ultimate Rotation Control works, but that's not exactly a free or elegant solution; is there really much interest in getting auto rotation working?

What's wrong with other keyboards? You've made me concerned for using the ICS keyboard.

Auto rotation wouldn't really be necessary, although giving apps accelerometer access would be nice.

ClearD

Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
I'm confused about being able to launch apps from the stock launcher. I hit menu, there is a black screen with one single home icon, that takes me back to the clock screen. Am I missing something? I don't see any of my apps listed there... :(

Itslame

Jan 6, 2012
Mililani, Hawaii
So I've been playing around with different things on the MotoActv, now that I have it. I've basically been trying to figure out how to perform different daily activities. Here's my conclusions/findings/whatnot so far:

2) You can actually access apps in the stock launcher; hit w.e your menu button is (I don't remember reading this, but I might be repeating)

3) I hacked in screenshot functionality using CMScreenshot, just have to bind it to a keycode

4) I should have a way to bind keys, even bringing back the original Start and Media keys IN ADDITION to HOME and MENU from the keymap mod

5) If you're going to run root this and run 3rd party software, the keymap mod is a must, I tried to avoid it, it gets annoying

6) The notification LED is only 1 color (white) but can be anywhere from 0 (off) to 255 (on)

7) DPI changes suck, I wouldn't support them in a ROM, unless they are repackaged the moto apps to run at something like 95; we're already pushing the limits of this device, if the app doesn't work visually, give it up =)

9) After using this for quite a bit, I've yet to see the need for a market, but I will still put that in the rom, just a little note.

10) Most used feature so far: Pandora -- seriously Pandora on this is probably one of the coolest things you could install

1) Try Flit...I think it works better than typing/deleting/typing over and over.
2) Cool, didnt realize that.
3) Meh. Never had a real need for screenshots...
4) Button savior has been a real great way to add the extra keys needed while leaving the stock keys alone.
5) see 4
6)...
7) I found that a lot of apps develop issues when the dpi is changed...I found 95-100 is the lowest I need to go. below 120 and video FC's
8) never needed it myself...
9) no need for installs but updates would be easier with market access.
10) Pandora for sure...but most of my use actually remains the stock features.

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

I'm confused about being able to launch apps from the stock launcher. I hit menu, there is a black screen with one single home icon, that takes me back to the clock screen. Am I missing something? I don't see any of my apps listed there... :(
with button savior: if I am in the stock launcher (home) and I select menu (for me, onscreen vs the hardware button) it brings up an app drawer.

Reactions: ClearD

nycghost

Aug 22, 2010

1> I've been amazed at how functional Flit keyboard is. Its the business!

6>Never did figure out how to get notifications LED to work...

9>If you could find a calendar app that works for the rom, that would be sweet.

Sent from my HUMBLE by Danalo1979 using Tapatalk

delboydell

Feb 11, 2003
Sheffield England
Screen protectors

I remember someway way people asking about screen protectors, well protctionfilms24.com sell them, they have an ebay shop too.
6 only cost 1.81 euros with postage to the uk!
They are a good fit and quality.

Jeff

Sep 17, 2003
Brussels, Belgium
I tried the calender.apk and the music.apk from the same rom with no luck. Gallery3d, livewallpaper picker and livewallpaper apks all work though.

I tried the livewallpaper/livewallpaper picker APKs, but I get FCs each time I wish to chose them, maybe my dpi? I might be better off without them for battery life. Seeing a swirling galaxy on my watch however would be stellar!

ClearD

Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
I tried the livewallpaper/livewallpaper picker APKs, but I get FCs each time I wish to chose them, maybe my dpi? I might be better off without them for battery life. Seeing a swirling galaxy on my watch however would be stellar!

Do you also have gallery3D installed? It's required to select images. :)

kensikora

Jun 25, 2010
I suspect my accelerometer hasn't worked at all since version 5.6 (the.one that introduced the broken shake to wake). I'm running the newest version now, ClearDroid 1.1.1B (1.6.6), and it still seems to be broken. Shake to wake doesn't work, and it doesn't record my steps.

Looking in AndroSensor, it always shows the accelerometer as "waiting for event." Anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

Itslame

Jan 6, 2012
Mililani, Hawaii
I suspect my accelerometer hasn't worked at all since version 5.6 (the.one that introduced the broken shake to wake). I'm running the newest version now, ClearDroid 1.1.1B (1.6.6), and it still seems to be broken. Shake to wake doesn't work, and it doesn't record my steps.

Looking in AndroSensor, it always shows the accelerometer as "waiting for event." Anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

I had the same problem in 5.6; it would work after a reboot but stop after a short while. The upgrade (5.6.6) fixed the pedometer but shake to wake ceased to work.

reboot and go into the stock launcher (dont change any dpi settings etc). see if the pedometer at least works with the reset.

kensikora

Jun 25, 2010
I had the same problem in 5.6; it would work after a reboot but stop after a short while. The upgrade (5.6.6) fixed the pedometer but shake to wake ceased to work.

reboot and go into the stock launcher (dont change any dpi settings etc). see if the pedometer at least works with the reset.

It doesn't seem to change, even after rebooting. No pedometer, no accelerometer.

It did work on the ancient software I was running when I originally rooted, so I know my unit isn't defective. Or at least, it hadn't always been if it is.

Edit: It looks like it may have something to do with the Link2SD script. The accelerometer still isn't showing accurate readings after a reboot and before running the script, but it is at least showing something other than "waiting for event."

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA

Last edited:

fernandoavc

Mar 21, 2011
São Paulo
Busybox issues....

I am not being able to install BusyBox (JRUMMY16) on my MotoACTV ... it's saying "failed to copy busybox over /system/xbin (or /system/bin)".

Does anyone knows why? am I missing something?

fernandoavc

Mar 21, 2011
São Paulo
What are you trying to set it to, and does it stick after a reboot, then go away on the next reboot?

I'm trying something like 90dpi to see if it gets any better for the JeFit app (actually it needs a little more room..some parts of it are getting truncated..)

On LCD Density Changer it doesn't changes no matter I do.. I set it to 90 and press "change" button but nothing happens (not even it changes the values like old and new they still 120) then I just reboot and nothing ever changed.. What should I check on my build.prep file since it has a lot of information on it?

EDIT: Well by manual editing the build.prop it worked... Jefit became a little better but the MotoLauncher was screwed... everything out of border and stuff... My slingplayer forceclosed does any of you uses SlingPlayer? Is there any specific version that actually works?

EDIT: I've found the error was because I wasn't connected to the internet... ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CWMR ported

Hello,

I have ported CWMR 5.0.2.7 to the Motoactv (F100) device.

actvcmwr.png

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

The procedure for this is as follows. You MUST have working adb knowledge to use this and you must be able to restore using the available tool should any problems arise. This is considered an ALPHA release that may need additional work. I did not have access to the device during the port so all testing was done through TheEndGame7. THERE MAY BE ISSUES, you are warned.

1) Download this file: CWMR5x_F100_recoveryA.img
    2) adb push CWMR5x_F100_recoveryA.img /data/local/
    3) adb shell (become root)
    4) dd if=/data/local/CWMR5x_F100_recoveryA.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk1p13
    5) exit adb from the device
    6) adb reboot recovery (you should be in CWMR now)

The source for the device config is here. Please feel free to go wild with development on this because I do not have the device and likely won't be contributing much more except bug fixes. If you use this source, please give credit where it's due.

NOTE: there are missing images(known). This is because the ramdisk is EXTREMELY finicky on this device and it WILL NOT BOOT past 3.66mb in size. I trimmed out things that weren't needed in order to make this work. The basic functionality you need should be there. adb is also not functioning properly yet within recovery.

ramdisk config:
    https://github.com/utkanos/android_motorola_F100_initrd

device config:
    https://github.com/utkanos/android_device_motorola_F100

credits:
    koush for cwmr.
    TheEndGame7 for being my testing guinea pig.
    hashcode for some helpful insight.
    MotoACTV Easy Modder v0.1

Post removed, see below.
    Well, it was a *****, but here is build 2, moving to Beta at this point in 'Moto red' by request of TEG.

ayu6vRFV

There is 1 lingering issue: usb support in recovery. It is a bastard, going to really have to tear this thing apart to debug why. Right now, recovery can backup, restore, wipe, flash roms, etc. All the stuff you're used to working, now does. I fixed images by shrinking the kernel to fit more stuff in here. You should no longer get any weird image errors. I bumped you up to 5.0.2.8 source as well.

Flash this file the same as before via adb and dd.
    CWMR5x_F100_recoveryB.img

adb push CWMR5x_F100_recoveryB.img /data/local/
    adb shell
    # dd if=/data/local/CWMR5x_F100_recoveryB.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk1p13
    # exit
    adb reboot recovery

Some additional notes I'd like to share that might help you as you mess with this device now that I've played with one.

1) NEVER use adb reboot bootloader for any reason. You get stuck in a ****tily programmed loop of hell. The way out of this loop is by following these instructions:

a) hold START, POWER, VOL UP, VOL DOWN together for 10 seconds at least. You should see the screen flicker on and off twice.
    b) plug in the USB cable to turn device on
    c) you should boot back to rom, if not, do it again. It's touchy.

2) The 'soft' reset is done by START + POWER for 5 seconds.

Enjoy. Source is updated. This will likely be the last update unless I get adb working.

Credits: koush for cwmr
    TheEndGame7 for providing a device
    ClearD for files
    Attached is the latest copy of my MotoACTV Easy Modder v1.0. This is a MAJOR upgrade! Adds numerous features and completely revises how backups are stored on the computer. Need to use 7zip to extract it, wouldn't let me upload that big of a .zip file.

To make this version see your old backups, open your IMGs folder, make a new folder (no spaces), drag all your old .img files into it.

ChangeLog:
    v1.0 Updated 1/16/12
    - Redesigned GUI
    - Integrated SuperOneClick (Very basic at the moment)
    - Backup (Boot, Recovery, System, Cache, Userdata, All)
    - Restore (Boot, Recovery, System, Cache, Userdata, All)
    - Added more Button Remaps (21 configurations)
    - Run Custom ADB commands
    - Run Custom Fastboot commands

v0.8 Updated 1/12/12
    - Fixed a few errors
    - Made ADB pause until a device is detected before continuing
    - New method of button remapping (DELETE "Keypads" folder from previous version)
    - Cleaned code

v0.6 Updated 01/09/12
    - Backup
    - Now supports multiple images
    - Restore / Flash
    - Flash Custom Boot.img
    - Implemented Userdata Restore
    - Implemented System and Userdata Restore
    - Mods
    - Install Custom APKs
    - Tools
    - Remount filesystem as Read/Write
    - Modified "Clean '/system/app'"

v0.1 Initial Release
    - Backup (System.img and Userdata.img)
    - Restore (System.img and Userdata.img)
    - Remap Buttons (7 different configurations)
    - Install Launcher (Honeycomb and Zeam)
    - Replace Stock PackageInstaller.apk with one from CyanogenMod
    - Remove MotoCRAP (Strip '/system/app')
    - Restart MotoACTV
    - Stop ADB (Enables MotoSync and Mass Storage)

Future Plans:
    - Market Installer
    - Port scripts to *nix and Mac

Screenshots:
    http://xdaforums.com/album.php?albumid=5789

Download:
    Newer version posted later in thread. Page 55.
    Working on an All-in-One batch file with an easy to use menu to try and make the alleviate some problems people are having so that the IRC can be used more for development progress and creative ideas rather than support.

Features:
    - Backup (system.img and userdata.img)
    - Restore (system.img and userdata.img)
    - Install Launcher (Honeycomb and Zeam)
    - Replace PackageInstaller.apk
    - Remap Buttons (7 configurations)
    - Restart
    - Stop ADB (Enables MotoSync and Mass Storage)

Attached are a few screenshots. Let me know if there is anything else I should include.