-The less files in storage, the faster your device
-Your storage is almost full and you want to install more
-summed up: your XDA is a mess and needs a good cleaning
-I believe the RAMdisk is faster than NAND ROM where storage is located
-Even the slowest SD card hardly shows any slowdown on most program starts

HOW simple
-Go to ActiveSync on your desktop PC
-Go to Tools>Add/remove software
-In Add/Remove Software uncheck "Install program into default installation folder"
-In the installed programs list uncheck a program
-Take a (mental) note of "Space available on device"
-Click OK
-Ask yourself if you really need it
-If so, check that program again
-Click OK
-Follow instructions on XDA, select \RAMdisk or \Storage Card as install path
-Check "Space available on device"
-Be happy
-Continue with the rest of the installed software in the same way
-Some programs refuse to follow your orders, most will move out of the way

HOW using utilities
There are two utilities that I know of that are able to transfer some of the files in your storage to RAMdisk or Storage Card, both commercial:
Wizcode Pocket Mechanic
SKTools
I'm not a fan of either of these. SKtools was only able to relocate 1.5MB of files that I could have easilly moved manually on a total mess that allowed much better results. Pocket Mechanic moved so much more that after a soft reset my today screen was as clean as a whisle, none of my today plugins loaded... OTOH both do have a lot of other neat tricks up their sleeves.
A neat little tool is System Path from http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/2039/
Watch out, perhaps well documented but only in Japanese. Tips: unzip, place in \Windows, soft reset, find applet in Settings\system\system path. And never uncheck \Windows, just ADD seach paths.
There are lots of other nice tools on that page...

HOW advanced
-Copy files to their new location
-Edit their shortcuts
-Export all related registry keys, then edit them to the new path
-Rename the original files (I always add tmp to the extensions)
-Test if they work from the new locations
-If so, remove the original files
-If not, check if there are for example .cfg, .ini or other settings files you should edit
-Always use an editor for this that can handle both ASCII and Unicode!
-Have courage, luck and enough time
-Think first, blooper next...

cychiam

Nov 20, 2004
Really appreciate your tips.
On your guide using AS to check the memory, do you mean by unchecking, the space available will change accordingly? I did not see that.
The problem is I don't install most programs on device storage but on SD card. Now cannot really decide where the programs are residing except by look at the "Program Files" in both Storage and SD Card to decide.
System Path is interesting. I will be trying it out.

Maggy

Sep 21, 2006
Not just by unchecking, but by uninstalling programs that were first installed with default path on, then reinstalling with default path off. Of course if all your software is already on RAMdisk or Storage card to begin with, you won't notice a change because nothing changes. This thread is for people who 've used a lot of EXE installers with default path on, they run into lack of Storage and often have no idea how to solve it.

mach2005

Disadvantage

A big disadvantage when you install your programs in ramdisk:

When your battery runs flat, you loose everything on the ramdisk. Ramdisk is only persistant when doing a hard reset and NOT by an empty battery.

Maggy

Sep 21, 2006
A big disadvantage when you install your programs in ramdisk:

When your battery runs flat, you loose everything on the ramdisk. Ramdisk is only persistant when doing a hard reset and NOT by an empty battery.

That sounds fair, RAM needs some power to keep its contents. But I've drained my main battery several times willingly for test purposes without loosing a single bit on RAMdisk. Obviously it needs just the backup battery. I never drained that. But I do keep a copy of my RAMdisk on my PC and advice all to follow that advice. MOBsync makes this even easier than ActiveSync.

mantd

Oct 5, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Hi,

i cant seem to be able uncheck the box (its not available- blanked out) ..

Most of my softwares is installed in RAMDISK and storage card except for must be in storage utilies. Yet my storage space is almost full ... i cant account for it.

I am using activesync 4.5 build 5096

Jadel

Oct 11, 2007
Sydney
Where did you install the programs/applications from? Did you put .cab files in your /temp folder? If this is the case, with most if not all .cab files you can delete them after installing the program. They can take up a fair bit of room. Cheers.

Maggy

Sep 21, 2006
i cant seem to be able uncheck the box (its not available- blanked out) ..
Most of my softwares is installed in RAMDISK and storage card except for must be in storage utilies. Yet my storage space is almost full ... i cant account for it.
I am using activesync 4.5 build 5096

Did you expand your RAMdisk size? see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=332215
Your activesync version should have no effect on the available storage.

mantd

Oct 5, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Hi Maggy,

Yeah, i did.. I managed to recover 3mb + by deleting and reinstalling back some of my apps. Thanks for the tips.

I am using c_shekar WM6 AKU7.

This is my current memory config:-
Storage
Total 30.53 Mb,
In Use 26.08 Mb,
Free 4.45Mb

Programs
Total 61.28Mb,
In use 28.18,
Free 33.10

Is it normal for the storage to grow even when programs are installed in SD or Ramdisk ? Anyway to know which files were installed and where ? Then it would be easier to move it somewhere else

-mantd

Maggy

Sep 21, 2006
All installed programs put some lines in registry, so that grows. Lots of programs create garbage in registry and often do not clean up after uninstall.
Programs that need dll's will place them in \windows, all installed programs create shortcuts (.lnk) in \windows\start menu\programs. All of this adds up to Storage In Use.

Most programs install either in \Program Files or \RAMdisk\Program Files or \Storage Card\Program Files. Often in their own subfolder. If not, then read their shortcuts to find them.

At initial installation most programs, especially those with PC exe install, will install in Storage even if you click RAMdisk or Storage Card. Today plugins have more or less valid reasons to do so, otherwise it's just plain stupid and annoying. Lots of cab installers have the same behaviour but cab's can be edited to change this behaviour (not all). By running PC exe installers without your device connected it will create a folder C:\Windows\Program Files\[app-to-install] which will most likely contain a cab...
success

Last edited:

muckelmaus

Jan 11, 2008
NRW
"There are two utilities that I know of that are able to transfer some of the files in your storage to RAMdisk or Storage Card, both commercial:
Wizcode Pocket Mechanic
SKTools"
Found that tiny tool:
MobileAppMover
It´s freeware.
First search - than search and overwrite.

Maggy

Sep 21, 2006
The site from the developper of MobileAppMover
http://www.iaccarino.de/silvio/ppcstuff.htm

His description:

MobileAppMover is a tool for moving all references from a specific directory to another directory. It will search and replace a given path in the whole registry and in every shortcut. You can use this to move complete program installations from memory to storage card and vice versa. The files itself won't be moved by this tool.
For use at own risk only!

So it's not a tool for noobs who do not know the difference between a program and a Today plugin or who do not know how to move the appropriate files manually. Neither of the two commercial tools are able to move every today plugin, strange things will happen if you try to move them anyway with mobileappmover. Please be sure to have a Safe Mode boot utility installed before you try this at home.

In the worst case scenario you'll need to reflash your ROM.

tommikks

May 27, 2008
IE Cache size ?

Hi,
When I changed the registry key to limit cache size avoiding low memory error in Pocket IE first it's ok but after I resetting the device all device settings and registry back to old settings , how can I solve this problem ?

Ather

Retired Senior Moderator
May 26, 2007
use schaps Advanced Config 3.0, its the best tweaking app htere is