[DEV/LEAK] ICS for A501

Search This thread

paugustin

Dec 10, 2009
Paris
OnePlus 7
I know you have experience ;) I just wanted to be sure you tried everything :p

My opinion on the ROM is that it runs pretty well. It's already smoother than HC ROM and on par with the latest A500 leaks. I had a crash of the 3g component while I was searching for a network but it came back to normal quickly.

3G network is strong and goes up to HSDPA as it should. No disconnection an download speeds are as good as you can expect.

WiFi works fine too, I let the market download about 20 apps in a row.

Speed is fine, could be better as there are a few minor slowdowns. No crash for now.

Reactions: BPaul

BPaul

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 9, 2011
Astana
empireb.ml
I know you have experience ;) I just wanted to be sure you tried everything :p

My opinion on the ROM is that it runs pretty well. It's already smoother than HC ROM and on par with the latest A500 leaks. I had a crash of the 3g component while I was searching for a network but it came back to normal quickly.

3G network is strong and goes up to HSDPA as it should. No disconnection an download speeds are as good as you can expect.

WiFi works fine too, I let the market download about 20 apps in a row.

Speed is fine, could be better as there are a few minor slowdowns. No crash for now.

Yes 3G work fine :)

I go to remade this rom.

wlk0

Sep 15, 2011
Anyone tried/succeeded to rip and run this patch without flashing the ICS EBT/Bootloader ?
So far I can run A500 ICS kernel fine on my A501 while still using the 3.0.1 bootloader (itsmagic enabled), wondering if this is also possible with that one.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Anyone tried/succeeded to rip and run this patch without flashing the ICS EBT/Bootloader ?
So far I can run A500 ICS kernel fine on my A501 while still using the 3.0.1 bootloader (itsmagic enabled), wondering if this is also possible with that one.

Try getting R/W permissions to /System through root explorer ;) . Then you will see why the bootloader got patched for ICS. Also, the 500 Boot.img for HC.

wlk0

Sep 15, 2011
Try getting R/W permissions to /System through root explorer ;) . Then you will see why the bootloader got patched for ICS. Also, the 500 Boot.img for HC.

Actually this is a kernel (boot.img) restriction (someone posted A500 ICS kernel sources and the ACER_SECURE trick was quite obvious), the bootloader/EBT is not really concerned.
Right now, I'm running that official A500 ICS kernel on A501 without any issue (I don't care having R/W on system), so I was hoping to be able to run the A501 kernel on a 3.0.1 bootloader.

francobianco

Jul 31, 2008
Helllo Guys,

What's the procedure to extract the update.zip file from the archives?
I downloaded them, but when i click on the archives i get the error: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged.

Where is the error?

Thanks for the attention.

HooeyBooey

Oct 30, 2010
I've extracted all the update files. I'm able to flash the first file but then the other files work flash. I keep getting and error 7. Am I missing something?

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Actually this is a kernel (boot.img) restriction (someone posted A500 ICS kernel sources and the ACER_SECURE trick was quite obvious), the bootloader/EBT is not really concerned.
Right now, I'm running that official A500 ICS kernel on A501 without any issue (I don't care having R/W on system), so I was hoping to be able to run the A501 kernel on a 3.0.1 bootloader.

yeah, but, with the 501 kernel, a lot of SU apps won't work like they're supposed to with no system R/W. I ran the CM9 version with the 500 patched kernel, and posted my results there.

If you're running a 501 with a 500 kernel, have you checked Wifi, gps, and 3g? All functioning normal? Using the 500 module files or are you using the new ones?

So basically with the 500, you had 2 choices. Run with the HC bootloader and patched boot.img(and get the messed up boot screen), or run with the patched ICS bootloader.

Half the folks want the choice to go back to 3.2.x without having to reflash the bootloader, so the use the patched kernel.

Just curious how things are running on a 501 using a 500 kernel.

wlk0

Sep 15, 2011
Ok, I tried the update and it is working fine on my A501:
1. Using stock HC3.0.1 bootloader (never flashed) and CWM 1.7
2. Installed a "cleaned" Acer_A501_4.066.29_COM_GEN1 (bootloader+recovery removed)
3. Installed a "cleaned" Acer_A501_4.066.29_041.126.01_COM_GEN1 (bootloader+recovery removed)

Only did a quick checkup, but so far:
- boot is fine (although I get the doubled "acer" logo as with A500 kernels)
- 3G works
- wifi works
- front/read cam works

Looks good.
Thanks Vache BTW !

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I've extracted all the update files. I'm able to flash the first file but then the other files work flash. I keep getting and error 7. Am I missing something?

No, not really.

My first attempt, I decrypted and pulled the update.zips, renaming them to update_1.zip, 2, 3, and 4. (you have to decrypt and pull the update from all of them, as the original formats won't work)

Not sure what the heck happened, but more errors than you could count starting with number 1 (on 3.2.1). Blew away the whole system (red boot verified fail). Think it blew away every Devblk I had! :confused:

TimmyDeans EUU method wouldn't take official CUID number, So had to NV Flash in APX mode the ICS patched bootloader/recovery. Then I could install my CM9 build. Acer recovery (although you can't update it for some reason) as I like RA Recovery.

Running the same 1,2,3,4 .zip files, the first 2 installed fine (random offset, and prior install log errors, no biggie)

#3 and 4 recieved error 7. Immediately shut down tab. Pulled the 3 and 4 updates from the decrypted files, renamed to update_3 and update_4, deleted the 2 from sd and copied again.

Boot to recovery, installed 3 and 4 (NO WIPES). Same offset errors and install log errors, but when finished it booted fine.

Note that I used my SD card reader on PC to copy files till the OS was up and running.

So pull your update.zips again from the decrypted files again. Should work.

Top Liked Posts