[Q] Galaxy Tab i957 - Screen Resolution or Honeycomb?

Search This thread

lilsim89

Oct 29, 2007
Just got the i957 and love almost everything about it except, what looks like to me, its poor screen resolution. Now my laptop has the same 1280x800 resolution on a bigger screen. So why are the text and images on my laptop leaps and bounds sharper than the tab? ...

-----------------------

EDIT: Changing screen font helped a good deal. But I'm still crossing my fingers that ICS takes advantage of the screen resolution better.

Last edited:

testulous

Aug 23, 2010
Vancouvre
I've noticed the same thing. Screen text is fuzzy because of antialiasing. If you load up an image, unscaled, with aliased text and antialiased text, you'll see that the screen is crisp and perfectly representing the image as it should be. It's when the tab tries to render text that it fuzzifies everything.

One thing that significantly improves readability is an anti-glare screen protector. I found one on Amazon that is pro quality and extremely affordable. Search for Generiks TM Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and you'll get it.

lilsim89

Oct 29, 2007
I've noticed the same thing. Screen text is fuzzy because of antialiasing. If you load up an image, unscaled, with aliased text and antialiased text, you'll see that the screen is crisp and perfectly representing the image as it should be. It's when the tab tries to render text that it fuzzifies everything.

One thing that significantly improves readability is an anti-glare screen protector. I found one on Amazon that is pro quality and extremely affordable. Search for Generiks TM Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and you'll get it.

Exactly! The text is definitely not being rendered with antialiasing (or not significantly). If you fire up the Kindle app, though, its fonts ARE antialiased and look much much much better.

It must be an API issue. When the Kindle app loads, it may be utilizing OpenGL or some other library that gives it lower level access.

It'd be great if a dev. could confirm that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using XDA Premium HD app

lilsim89

Oct 29, 2007
Can anyone post comparative screenshots?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using xda premium

No problem. These are screenshots from the dolphin browser, and Kindle app. Note the readability of the fonts.

EDIT: It looks like the XDA app compressed the images heavily. At least from my tab it appears that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using XDA Premium HD app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1334946094345.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334946094345.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 104
  • uploadfromtaptalk1334946111228.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334946111228.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited: