Q - I screwed up :( NT boot "Please restart your device and try again ..."

Search This thread

peril

May 12, 2010
Hello,

I've installed CM internal to (2) NT 16GBs without incident, and I got stumbled by the n button not working with 1.4.1 that was on my third. Ultimately - I downgraded to 1.4.0, installed CM7, and then did the dumb thing.

I meant to hit wipe data and cache, and I clicked factory reset in CWM. (And at this point - it is stuck in a state where I can boot to CWM - but cannot get CM7 to boot in any form from the internal rom).

I attempted the following
1) acclaim restore (just tried didn't do anything)
2) backup / restore from alternate nook Tablet 16Gb (man this seemed promising ...)
3) couple of the different unbrick scenarios - but I don't have adb, and it seems like windows 7 is not a happy camper with nook usb devices, (and adb isn't happy either.)
4) meghd00t restores (couple of different variations.)

does anyone have any starter threads that I should start walking down for the same stuff - I have browsed, and it's been a couple of hours and I'm exhausted. will poke back in tommorow, and will get this thing plugged into a linux host.

It didn't seem like adb could be so hard ...

--Adrian

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Hmmm interesting... ok first of all doing this "I meant to hit wipe data and cache, and I clicked factory reset in CWM" is not dumb is ok to do but is not good signal the hang actually is very weird. Maybe all you have is a corrupted cwm recovery flash. Now be explicit if you indeed could try some unbrick methods succesfully (the ones running from sdcard) and what methods exactly did you try.

~ Veronica

peril

May 12, 2010
things I've tried - part 1

1) just try to restore to factory with acclaim_update.zip on non-booting sdcard , (this is the 1.4.0 image) - I get the grey n, a flash of white - (like it's going to boot), and that that "please restart your device and try again..."
(This worked when it was factory), but it seems like the logic to check the sd card and start to recover isn't working.

2) Tried the thread here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1562130 - meghd00tr4-sdimg.zip boots, but first time - get red reverse highlighted line - "booti: bad boot image magic in memory" - s5 in the upper left corner of the cyanoboot screen, and the n button doesn't seem to do anything.

3) same thread different image - repart.img, this runs fine- and after about 30 seconds of boot, I get a green check, (waited a full (2) minutes after that green check before I unplugged it.) - same message after boot.

4) full restore of nook tablet from current good cm7 image (and this is the one that most concerns me) - NT16gbV4_6 based cwm v5.5.04 - attempting restore of backed up alternate nook tablet - and the exact same thing happens at boot - does the image not touch partions that aren't related to the root install -(this seems like maybe there is something the bootloader is looking for in the image that isn't right, and it wedges?)

I am going to work on getting an adb setup going that works and then start working down a couple of fix recovery scenarios today / tonight.

It doesn't seem like this is unrecoverable - and the worst part is -I had cm7 booting fine for a couple of reboots, and then something went awry.

--Adrian

peril

May 12, 2010
as I think about this ...

I do have (2) differnt backups, and I wonder if that restore was the wrong thing to do.

I got to thinking this as I saw the restore of the .android_secure file, from the ALTERNATE nook. I have the backup from the 1.4.0 "original working" image of this nook before the cm 7 issues- but I put it on an SD card that is safetly out of my reach. (In a friends cell phone.)

I think an easy thing will be to restore that backup as another test.

-Adrian

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
I do have (2) differnt backups, and I wonder if that restore was the wrong thing to do.

I got to thinking this as I saw the restore of the .android_secure file, from the ALTERNATE nook. I have the backup from the 1.4.0 "original working" image of this nook before the cm 7 issues- but I put it on an SD card that is safetly out of my reach. (In a friends cell phone.)

I think an easy thing will be to restore that backup as another test.

-Adrian

Right, try that first, dont attempt anything advanced yet. Your problem could be solved easily

Just to make sure you flashed cwm from @Indirect app?

~ Veronica

Sent from my Nook Tablet using xda premium

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
Wait, can you boot into a CM7 SD ROM? From there you could try reflashing recovery.

Sent from my R800x

peril

May 12, 2010
FIXED

I used this method - and I was good to go.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1470910

In one of the flashes - must have hit the power prior to something being complete with the recovery.

thanks all for your support - and really appreciate the time in the forum. I'm going to put together a torrent with the recovery stuff in it, and make sure it's available as my little part. (Give me a day or so.)

Thanks again.

--Adrian

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
The problem with that is that you will lose your original serial ID's and MAC address if you didnt backup your rom partition (mmcblk0p5) first so if you use B&N services you wont be able to register after flash any stock rom.

~ Veronica

mr_truevision

Mar 21, 2012
I also screwed up...Reverting to 1.4.0

Tried to revert to 1.4.0, and followed all instructions as showned on a youtube video. Unfortunately, as it was reverting back to older version as soon as it finished the process - the tablet wouldn't start back up. Did any one ever have this happen to them.. Fortunately, I had just bought today at WalMart. So, I'm going to replace it...

Was just curious, if it ever happened to any one. If so what did I possibly do wrong....

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Tried to revert to 1.4.0, and followed all instructions as showned on a youtube video. Unfortunately, as it was reverting back to older version as soon as it finished the process - the tablet wouldn't start back up. Did any one ever have this happen to them.. Fortunately, I had just bought today at WalMart. So, I'm going to replace it...

Was just curious, if it ever happened to any one. If so what did I possibly do wrong....

Hmm i think you have a 8GB Nook Tablet and the acclaim_update.zip is only for 16GB NT.

~ Veronica

peril

May 12, 2010
ubuntu recovery.

This was strictly for CM7. I have no problem with being locked out of the B&N services. (I use the nook application for that access.)

Wish I would have known the serial number before / after. I was able to login to my B&N account after 1.4.0 was restored from ubuntu.

--Adrian

The problem with that is that you will lose your original serial ID's and MAC address if you didnt backup your rom partition (mmcblk0p5) first so if you use B&N services you wont be able to register after flash any stock rom.

~ Veronica

Last edited: