Motoblur Update 219 +Download (Instructions modified for Root users)

Search This thread

omniuni

Jul 16, 2010
DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK.

This will temporarily disable Safestrap, but once appled, you can restore Safestrap, and your previous Safe system should still be intact.

This is the Motorola update that is being soak tested. To install it, I unfroze all apps, used Voodoo Root Keeper to backup root, and installed from SD card.

To install from SD:
1. Download the file and place it at the root of the SD. After backing up root with Voodoo and unfreezing all apps, prepare to shut down the phone. You should temp-unroot with VooDoo at this point.
2. When turning the phone on, press and hold vol-up and vol-down at the same time. When you have the bootloader menu, press vol-down and then vol-up to get to Motorola recovery.
3. Reveal the recovery options by pressing vol-up and vol-down at the same time when the android and exclanation mark appears.
4. Choose to install a zip from SD, and choose the update. Power button serves as select, volume buttons to move selection.
5. When the update finishes and your phone reboots, restore root from Voodoo, and re-freeze any bloat. You can also restore Safestrap now.

Direct Download of Update Package:
http://omniimpact.com/android/motorola_updates/Blur_Version.6.13.215.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip

Recommended Software:

- AntTek App Manager
- Voodoo OTA Root Keeper

NOTE: If you lose Root accidentally, that is OK, just re-root the same way you did before.

NOTE 2: Did you delete or modify your system apps instead of just freezing them? This update will fail. You need to take these packages from the original firmware and use them to replace yours. The zip file contains just the packages you need extracted from skylarmb's very useful ROM.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA

Last edited:

twizzles

Mar 4, 2012
All i did was use voodoo to temp unroot and installed update. Worked fine for me. But if this post was here before i did anything i would've followed it. I am having one issue tho. Play store wants to force close a bit. Not alot but it never did before

Sent from my DROID4 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: Briteyez83

omniuni

Jul 16, 2010
These directions are gathered from several locations and are designed to cover most situations. If you have not frozen bloat applications, you don't need to do the unfreezing part. My goal was to try to answer everything important in one place, such as keeping root, restoring safestrap, and bypassing the system integrity check.

Aloth600

Mar 30, 2009
Englewood, Colorado
I have been able to get all the way the the install part but it keeps aborting because of an invalad signature. I also read that you need to installing fro the sdcard-ext. While in recovery I have no option to navigate to my ext card... any thought? Thanks everyone

Sent from under a rock

omniuni

Jul 16, 2010
Motorola's recovery ONLY shows the external sd card, sd-ext is just what Android calls it. If you are failing in a bad signature, have you made sure to unfreeze all apps? The patch checks that the initial system is intact before installing, so all the original software has to be there.

prushing

Oct 23, 2008
Thanks for the instructions. Everything installed fine for me and root was easy to restore. The battery life has been great the last 2 days, but haven't used it a ton yet.

DevilDaHusky

Feb 7, 2011
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
thanks a lot for the files! I'm still having update issues though :(

Code:
Update location: /cache/Blur_Version.6.13.215.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip
Opening update package...
I:1 key(s) loaded from /res/keys
Verifying update package...
I:comment is 1461 bytes; signature 1438 bytes from end
I:whole-file signature verified
I:verify_file returned 0
Installing update...
installing motoflash extensions
installing NV updater extensions
installing omapdevtype updater extension
blk: partition "emstorage" size 8603435008 not a multiple of io_buffer_size 524288
Verifying current system...file "/system/app/BackupAssistanceClient.apk" doesn't have any of expected sha1 sums; checking cache
failed to stat "/cache/saved.file": No such file or directory
failed to stat "/data/saved.file": No such file or directory
failed to load cache file
script aborted: assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/BackupAssistanceClient.apk", "fd7e227c5c96c613ec46c2ed3ffe47785c9576e3", "691854fac80eefce82740d7204de4e22c1a0d9e1")

assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/BackupAssistanceClient.apk", "fd7e227c5c96c613ec46c2ed3ffe47785c9576e3", "691854fac80eefce82740d7204de4e22c1a0d9e1")
E:Error in /cache/Blur_Version.6.13.215.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.
i think it's saying a checksum failed on BackupAssistanceClient.apk. how does one go about fixing this?

omniuni

Jul 16, 2010
Make sure you have removed _fro from the apks related to backup assistant if you are copying them over. Also, I just realized, it might be an updated version (omg! Unlisted updated component!) Grab skylarmb's stock rooted rom, unzip it, and use the apk from there. It's a bit more of a pain than just a single zip of the folder, but it should have the upgradeable version of the apk.

Last edited:

omniuni

Jul 16, 2010
I find it odd that the update could conflict with itself. If that is the case, Verizon has a serious oversight since that means any partially applied update would brick a phone (instead of just resuming where it left off). Let me know how it works out.

Reactions: DevilDaHusky

Code3VW

May 1, 2009

This will temporarily disable Safestrap, but once appled, you can restore Safestrap, and your previous Safe system should still be intact.

This is the Motorola update that is being soak tested. To install it, I unfroze all apps, used Voodoo Root Keeper to backup root, and installed from SD card.

To install from SD:
1. Download the file and place it at the root of the SD. After backing up root with Voodoo and unfreezing all apps, shut down the phone.
2. When turning the phone on, press and hold vol-up and vol-down at the same time. When you have the bootloader menu, press vol-down and then vol-up to get to Motorola recovery. Once the Android and ! appear, press vol-up and vol-down at the same time to reveal the menu.
3. Choose to install a zip from SD, and choose the update. Power button serves as select, volume buttons to move selection.
4. When the update finishes and your phone reboots, restore root from Voodoo, and re-freeze any bloat. You can also restore Safestrap now.

http://omniimpact.com/android/motorola_updates/Blur_Version.6.13.215.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip

Recommended Software:

- AntTek App Manager
- Voodoo OTA Root Keeper

You forgot a key step... I bolded it above.

---------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 AM ----------

Root is not working on mine any longer... :(

I ran the Voodoo OTA Root Keeper and backed up root before doing anything and all 5 checkboxes were green, confirming that I had backed up root...now that I am updated, I went back into Voodoo OTA Root Keeper and Device Rooted and Root Permission Granted are grey...hitting Restore Root says "Voodoo OTA Root Keeper has been granted Superuser Permissions" followed by "root su restored" yet the checkboxes don't change to green, and I can't run anything requiring root because my device "is not rooted."

Please help!

Edit - Also, opening the safestrap apk causes a force close...

I had zero apps frozen, and zero issues applying the update. I did make a complete nandroid backup before updating...

Last edited:

omniuni

Jul 16, 2010
I am sorry, I updated the directions; if you check the way OTA rootkeeper works, you are supposed to temp-unroot BEFORE you apply the update. You are still OK, though. Just re-run the original root exploit and you will get root back. The patch does not prevent the original root method from working.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1522911

Last edited:
Reactions: Code3VW

Code3VW

May 1, 2009
I am sorry, I updated the directions; if you check the way OTA rootkeeper works, you are supposed to temp-unroot BEFORE you apply the update. You are still OK, though. Just re-run the original root exploit and you will get root back. The patch does not prevent the original root method from working.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1522911

Ok, re-rooting worked. I also updated my binary SU and reinstalled safestrap. I rebooted and am running another nandroid backup for safety. :)

Thanks!

wheels01

Mar 6, 2011
PHX
Really noob question here... I just got my droid 4 and was going to apply this update, the post says update 219, the file is update 215...?? Will this file take me to 219 or keep me at 215?

Thanks!

omniuni

Jul 16, 2010
A good question deserves a good answer about a really dumb thing:
Motorola names their updates based on the verion that you are coming FROM and not what you are going TO. In a sense, I guess this is because they are incremental updates, or in other words, they each assume the last one was installed. By naming this way, you can always tell what the next update to apply is based on what revison you are currently running with little danger of accidentally missing one because you forget it and messing up your phone.

TL;DR;
It will upgrade you to 219.

Reactions: wheels01

wheels01

Mar 6, 2011
PHX
Thanks for the prompt reply, I'm used to letting dev put updates into roms and just flashing, never done one this way. I always learn something new in the forums!

bonesjones

Dec 9, 2009
Birmingham
Anything worth a crap in this update?
I've looked but can't find anything that would make it worth the trouble.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

To install from SD:
    1. Download the file and place it at the root of the SD. After backing up root with Voodoo and unfreezing all apps, prepare to shut down the phone. You should temp-unroot with VooDoo at this point.
    2. When turning the phone on, press and hold vol-up and vol-down at the same time. When you have the bootloader menu, press vol-down and then vol-up to get to Motorola recovery.
    3. Reveal the recovery options by pressing vol-up and vol-down at the same time when the android and exclanation mark appears.
    4. Choose to install a zip from SD, and choose the update. Power button serves as select, volume buttons to move selection.
    5. When the update finishes and your phone reboots, restore root from Voodoo, and re-freeze any bloat. You can also restore Safestrap now.

Recommended Software:

- AntTek App Manager
    - Voodoo OTA Root Keeper

NOTE: If you lose Root accidentally, that is OK, just re-root the same way you did before.

NOTE 2: Did you delete or modify your system apps instead of just freezing them? This update will fail. You need to take these packages from the original firmware and use them to replace yours. The zip file contains just the packages you need extracted from skylarmb's very useful ROM.

I posted this a a bit back, but here is a link to my "system/app" folder. It contains versions of everything required to pass the update. Make sure that you remove "_fro" from anything that I have frozen. The updater should look for either the original version, or the version from itself (which these are).

Edit:
    I decided to make this simple. I downloaded skylarmb's stock pre-rooted rom, and extracted the original APKs. Here is a zip file with the unmodified files from the original ROM /system/app folder. Replace yours with these, and you should be good to go.

http://omniimpact.com/android/motorola_updates/stockRooted-system-app-215.zip

I have also updated the original post in the thread to reflect this.
    All i did was use voodoo to temp unroot and installed update. Worked fine for me. But if this post was here before i did anything i would've followed it. I am having one issue tho. Play store wants to force close a bit. Not alot but it never did before

Sent from my DROID4 using xda premium
    I find it odd that the update could conflict with itself. If that is the case, Verizon has a serious oversight since that means any partially applied update would brick a phone (instead of just resuming where it left off). Let me know how it works out.

BAM! stock build.prop file from the day I got the phone. Feel free to break yours.

P.S. Don't forget about file permissions when replacing yours