[Q] Do i really need a screen protector for the note?

Search This thread

501rockstar

Dec 19, 2010
:confused: the note is pretty without it, then when I put it on it's okay still but you know what i'm talking about, but do I really need it cause i have that double layer case for it

erick161

Mar 10, 2011
So the 7 thousand other threads about this weren't good enough?

Its a personal opinion as to yay or nay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA
Does the Note needs a screen protector (SP)? Personally I would say hell yeah but to each their own. At least with a screen protector, you get a scratch, you can always replace with a new protector. W/O a SP, you risk your device in getting scrathed up. Plus, with today's SP, you will likely not notice the difference. Always err on the safe side & better to be protected than not to be. Plus, resale value is higher if your phone isn't all scratched up. That extra $15-$20 for a SP goes a long ways.

Scythe024

Nov 14, 2011
I do it because I rather spend the $15 for piece of mine and extra perfection. Looks just as good, super thin, and I'm superficial about my phone

dakleenupman

Nov 30, 2008
Chicago
I'd say yes. I managed to scratch this "scratch resistant " Gorilla Glass very easily. Since then, I tried a few different things to remove the scratch. Guess what? It did not remove. The ONLY way I was able to remove it was to get a new phone. Since then, a SP has been on as getting new phones isn't as easy now that I'm past my 30 days.

andrawer

Jun 3, 2011
your choice. some people like em, some don't.
I haven't had one on any of my gorilla glass screen phones for the last 3 years and never will.

b3asty

Apr 4, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I purchased the Spigen SGP Glas t. Premium Tempered Glass Series Screen Protector for my Note earlier this week. After applying it and playing with it for two days, I am convinced it is one of the best accessories ever for a phone. Insulation for a screen without degradation in quality. I love it. Links for anyone that's interested:

On Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/SPIGEN-SGP-Premium-Tempered-Protector/dp/B007CP5EW0/ref=pd_cp_cps_0

Product Page:
http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/sa...tor-glas-t-premium-tempered-glass-series.html

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
I hate to admit it, but I actually purchased one of the horribly overpriced Moshi screen protectors at the ATT store, and, even though I have applied hundreds of screen protectors on my phones over the years, this one is the absolute best one I have ever used; its super easy to apply perfectly, with a sort of "template" sheet that the protector gets shipped on, and there are almost no smudges, no screen darkening, and it fits perfectly!

Do you "need" a screen protector? No, the phone works fine without it..

should you put one on? to me, its the first thing I put on the phone before I even take the factory plastic off the phone..

And, down the road, when you go to sell your phone, or trade it in, you will get maximum return if you keep the thing looking like brand new..

Coffinfeeder

Jan 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I haven't had a protector on my note yet. I was thinking of maybe getting the steinheil protector because of all the issues people are having with the glass one.

So far the gorilla glass has held up just fine for me. No marks at all, I still don't even have a case on this thing :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
if I wasn't such a klutz, I would keep it case free too..
another solution is Wrapsol; which I have had on a few phones, with leaves it pretty naked, but puts a clear shield on any area that you want protected..

jasg001

Apr 21, 2012
Would you rather have a SP and not need it or need a SP when you don't have it (like when you accidentally drop that bad boy)?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

jjc5891

Feb 28, 2012
My girlfriend managed to get a small scratch on her screen within a week of use (screen protectors were already on order), so yes i think a sp is essential if you want to avoid damage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA Premium HD app

rlpaul

Dec 9, 2007
Columbus
I use one of the Steinheil for two reasons, and scratches isn't one of them.

1. Anti-glare. The proper Steinheil protector is great for this.
2. Smudges/fingerprints. I find that the Steinheil doesn't attract the oils from your hands nearly as much as native Gorilla Glass.

The texture is the only thing I'd really worry about - it feels weird to some. I usually stop noticing it after 2-3 days.

Y

yollasho

On my past 3 Android phones, I haven't ever used Screen Protectors. I hate the feel and look of most of them (I know there are certain that are glass, or feel pretty much fine, but many never feel like awesome smooth glass, almost a texture sometimes), and I sometimes feel cases end up pushing up the edges, making it look like **** and needing to be replaced. Or it gets tweaked sliding it in and out of my pocket.

For good measure, WM HTC Touch Pro ended up with zero scratches on screen, lived in a case at first, then without because it was such a brick. It had a SP at first, but eventually it peeled and I said **** it. Phone felt better without (Resistive Screen with stylus). It died when I gave it to my GF for a loaner, and she dropped it and left it in a river for awhile...on the first day she had it. (my phones are in constant peril!)

The HTC Aria ended up with zero scratches and still in mint cond when I moved on to an HTC Inspire 4G. Had been dropped onto Concrete, wood, etc from at least 4 feet on occasion. Protected by HTC TPU smoked case from ATT store for entire life.

HTC Inspire 4G ended up with one very slight vertical scratch toward the far right side of the screen. I only noticed it when the screen was off, never noticed it with my finger sliding onto it, or in general use. It had a rough life, and I was happy/surprised that was the only damage it ever received. Standard drops from about 4 feet onto assorted surfaces like concrete, hardwood floors, etc. Protected by Case-Mate Tough Case from ATT store for entire life.

My GNote is still without a scratch. Has only really been dropped on carpet, and a few small drops onto hardwood floors from about 3 feet. Protected by Speck Candyshell from ATT store, then Trident Aegis (kinda **** imo), and now Cruzerlite Androidified TPU (sucked at first, broken in and a few mods with the punch from a hole puncher, now perfect).

I keep all of my phones in my front right jeans pocket with the screen against my leg, and I never leave the ATT store without a case (even if I know I'll be getting a diff case very soon). I never put anything else in my phone pocket. Also be aware if your pants have very sharp/exposed rivets above your pocket. Clean out your pockets before you wear them. Turn them inside out if you can/use packing tape or something to make sure all the possible grit/**** is gone. It's entirely possible to get sand/dirt/whatever in there, and have it remain even after washing.

When I travel by motorcycle (85% of the time), my phone goes in a ziplock bag as well, and then I put it in my backpack, or occasionally front left breast pocket of my jacket. I think if you are aware of the fact that you are carrying a $600+ device in your pocket, you can easily avoid scratches. All of the cases I use have a sufficient lip to set the phone face down, but I RARELY ever set them face down (grit/sand/etc can be so small and so easily scratch)

TL;DR-I've had great luck without a Screen Protector and prefer to run without them. Many have had the opposite and much prefer a SP for extra peace of mind. Do what you are comfortable with.

Last edited:
Streak & Note

Had a dell streak for about 14 months. First 3-4 months had a screen protector on it, for nothing else because I had 3 win-mobile phones that the bottom area where the stylus is used, had scratches.
When the protector starting peeling off, I just chucked it. I used a soft belt case for well over a year w/o issues. Not one scratch.
When I got the Note in mid December, I didn't even bother with one. I use a Seidio ultimate case, and have had no issues, and, I use the s-pen daily.

Unless you are rough on your device, toss it around or carry it in your pocket with change & car keys, I wouldn't put one on it.
It's scratch RESISTANT, not scratch PROOF.