[Q] Closing Recently Browsed Apps

Search This thread

The novice

Apr 22, 2012
Guys, Can I pls get your help for the below issues I have with my Sony Tablet S

:mad: I cant seem to "close"recently used apps', even after completely shutting down & disconnecting power. Its like I want to "delete browsing history" on a PC
:mad:I cant seem to log-out of Gmail at all as I can't see an option to do so.
:mad: The remote control learner does not learn at all, inspite of following all instructions. I have a Pioneer Amp to control music, but I've had no luck. After some research I've found out that the tablet can only learn from some models post 2011. Is this true?
:confused: I also have an Onkyo reciever for which I've downloaded the andriod app. This works well, but the app inevitably starts with the wrong orientation - inspite of my best efforts to hold the tab in the correct direction in which the app opened the last time. (It seems to rotate regardless)
:) I have no other issues such as force close or auto dimming as per my understanding of the most frequent issues on this forum

Thanks for your help guys. I really need it. Cheers

Mahaco

Feb 25, 2012
Behind you!
You could use "Advanced Task Killer free ( Or pro )
If you close an app does not mean it really shuts down but it wil stay there in memory,
The Task Killer will terminate all running apps.

Gmail is always running unless you uncheck the auto synchronize with Gmail,
you can find that in Settings / Accounts if that's what you meant.

I have several IR devices and i choose them from the device list no problems at all some actions didn't work well so I had to learn it from my remote control that worked fine to.

Orientation is a known issue but if you have your tablet rooted you could use a rotation app which requires root access something like full rotation i quess can't remember.

Don't mind my English ;)

Reactions: The novice

kryddan

Apr 25, 2011
Trollhättan

:mad: The remote control learner does not learn at all, inspite of following all instructions. I have a Pioneer Amp to control music, but I've had no luck. After some research I've found out that the tablet can only learn from some models post 2011. Is this true?

I have learned my tablet remotes from Dreambox 800HD (digitalbox for cable) and from my Harman Kardon AVR255 EU (reciever) and both are pre 2011. I also got it to work with a tv and digitalbox when I was visiting my father in the US. Can't remember the models though, but no problems with the remote. The tv in US was an old "fat-tv" not the new flat-tv :)

agc93

Mar 14, 2011
Brisbane
Honeycomb has no built-in method of killing apps at user request and for a good reason: Android does a better job itself. If Android needs to kill an app, it will do so, so you don't need to do it yourself. As for clearing history and the like, thats a bit trickier, but the stock Browser does include Incognito tabs for private browsing.

Gmail, on the other hand cannot be logged out of unless you go into Settings -> Accounts & Sync and either turn off Gmail sync (which still leaves you signed in, but not updating) or simply delete the Google Account. Gmail's not really made to be signed in or out of regularly.

As for your problems with the IR, thats definitely not the case and whatever your problems are, they're relatively isolated. Can you give us more detail on what you've tried and what happens when you do so?

With your Onkyo app, that almost invariably means that the developer has not included landscape support. If there is no landscape option for an app, it will force rotate to portrait, or vice versa if the app doesn't have portrait support. If you're sure they have, make sure that the Auto-Rotate Screen in your Settings toggles is set to On and if it still doesnt work, email the developer and let them know. Could be an isolated issue.

Schrammi

Jul 31, 2007
Hamburg
The question was not how to kill apps the question was how to delete recently opened apps and I have this question too. It seems there is no way.

agc93

Mar 14, 2011
Brisbane
Where are you finding these recently closed apps? As far as I knew Honeycomb didn't have any equivalent of the pre-3.0 "hold home button" dialog. The multitasking button in the bottom left shows running, paused and killed apps together, so there is no way to differentiate between recently used and closed apps, and recently used but still running apps.

bassir.masood

Jul 24, 2010
maybe this helps

The question was not how to kill apps the question was how to delete recently opened apps and I have this question too. It seems there is no way.

dont know about honeycomb cause i never tried this on it but on ics u can drag the apps out of the recently opened apps drawer and it disappears... try it... maybe it helps... or u can wait for the ics update to help u get rid of this issue....

agc93

Mar 14, 2011
Brisbane
dont know about honeycomb cause i never tried this on it but on ics u can drag the apps out of the recently opened apps drawer and it disappears... try it... maybe it helps... or u can wait for the ics update to help u get rid of this issue....
As Schrammi said, that is a new ICS feature and on Honeycomb, the only way to clear apps from the multitasking panel is to reboot (which will also end the app, obviously)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You could use "Advanced Task Killer free ( Or pro )
    If you close an app does not mean it really shuts down but it wil stay there in memory,
    The Task Killer will terminate all running apps.

Gmail is always running unless you uncheck the auto synchronize with Gmail,
    you can find that in Settings / Accounts if that's what you meant.

I have several IR devices and i choose them from the device list no problems at all some actions didn't work well so I had to learn it from my remote control that worked fine to.

Orientation is a known issue but if you have your tablet rooted you could use a rotation app which requires root access something like full rotation i quess can't remember.

Don't mind my English ;)

I have learned my tablet remotes from Dreambox 800HD (digitalbox for cable) and from my Harman Kardon AVR255 EU (reciever) and both are pre 2011. I also got it to work with a tv and digitalbox when I was visiting my father in the US. Can't remember the models though, but no problems with the remote. The tv in US was an old "fat-tv" not the new flat-tv :)
    Honeycomb has no built-in method of killing apps at user request and for a good reason: Android does a better job itself. If Android needs to kill an app, it will do so, so you don't need to do it yourself. As for clearing history and the like, thats a bit trickier, but the stock Browser does include Incognito tabs for private browsing.

Gmail, on the other hand cannot be logged out of unless you go into Settings -> Accounts & Sync and either turn off Gmail sync (which still leaves you signed in, but not updating) or simply delete the Google Account. Gmail's not really made to be signed in or out of regularly.

As for your problems with the IR, thats definitely not the case and whatever your problems are, they're relatively isolated. Can you give us more detail on what you've tried and what happens when you do so?

With your Onkyo app, that almost invariably means that the developer has not included landscape support. If there is no landscape option for an app, it will force rotate to portrait, or vice versa if the app doesn't have portrait support. If you're sure they have, make sure that the Auto-Rotate Screen in your Settings toggles is set to On and if it still doesnt work, email the developer and let them know. Could be an isolated issue.