[Q] 8gb over 16gb

Search This thread

grrmisfit

Jun 15, 2010
st. louis
so my nook color went belly up on me.. my geek squad warranty got me a full replacement or exchange for an upgrade. so i took upgrade.. but i did little to no research as i had expected them to just fix it.. so asking the sales rep when isaw the tablets i asked " whats the diff from the 8gb to 16gb" his reply "storage space" .. now i come home head to xda only to find out theres a ram difference.. question is.. is there a huge difference in the ram usage? do any android apps really need more then 512 ram? or should i just fork over the extra 50 bucks and get the 16gb

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
If you ask me, the extra $50 is worth it. You have double the storage and double the RAM. In addition, development on the 16GB model is further along and you'd have more choices of ROMs and get better support if you're stuck. This is just my opinion though.

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here
twenty four bucks for 'peace of mind', aye. . well you'll sleep better at night. . but the h/w and construction seems to be 'very good' quality.
i've had mine for five months, so now i want to crack it open and see what's inside ! . it's a curse having the curiosity of a little kid... ( still )

tmjohnsonfse

Dec 23, 2011
Dallas
twenty four bucks for 'peace of mind', aye. . well you'll sleep better at night. . but the h/w and construction seems to be 'very good' quality.
i've had mine for five months, so now i want to crack it open and see what's inside ! . it's a curse having the curiosity of a little kid... ( still )

Watch Adam's video cracking it open the XDA way. It was very well made and took the curiousity from the cat....atleast for me it did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA1vQiDW9Ms

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here
Watch Adam's video cracking it open the XDA way. It was very well made and took the curiousity from the cat....atleast for me it did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA1vQiDW9Ms
yeah, very cool, and what ARE THOSE mystery connectors and chip pads on the circuit board ? ? ? . hmmm, can we wire in a gps & bluetooth chip for ourselves ? ? ? . . i'm game !
and the first half of the video is blurry on purpose to protect himself from the nook lawyers ? ? ? . . . . . you know the joke about sharks and lawyers, right ?

grrmisfit

Jun 15, 2010
st. louis
im using the same sd card loaded cm7 so i havent even gone into the registering process on it. should i register it with BN or just take it to BN have them repartition it and flash away>?

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012
im using the same sd card loaded cm7 so i havent even gone into the registering process on it. should i register it with BN or just take it to BN have them repartition it and flash away>?

It shouldn't matter. They just pop their SD card in and you wait till it's finished, then you're out of there.

Or could you repartition it yourself.

grrmisfit

Jun 15, 2010
st. louis
always register your stuff. . that way, they get to spam you for the rest of your life. no, seriously, its for the warantee, right ?

i am sorry... i don't understand what you said...
dont need BNs warranty i have the geek squad "i can drive over it with a truck then take a hammer to it" warranty. just curious if registering has anything to do with flashing the internal memory

Cubanluke88

Nov 18, 2011
Connecticut
If you plan on flashing over the internal OS, there is no need to register. When I got my nook, I made a bootable sdcard with CWM, booted into it, mounted to my PC, transferred CM7 to the internal storage and flashed it. From there I eventually flashed CM9 and only saw the B&N OS when I tested albert's nandroid backup.

tl;dr no need to register if you plan on flashing a rom.