[Tutorial]Root, Unlock, Recovery and flashing a Custom ROM

Search This thread

Bricolo_fr

Apr 25, 2010
Hi,

The bootloader unlock page on htcdev says that the unlocking operation will delete all the user data on the phone.

OK but how can I make a backup of my data (like with titanium backup) without being root?

worms

Aug 4, 2007
Vicenza
I unblock bootloader from htc dev, flash recovery and after do VOL- + POWER, select recovery with power but after it boot on normal mode :|

I can't enter in recovery

EDIT: R2 modaco is working fine :| I can't understand why :|

Last edited:
Reactions: AndrewSM

Dynam0

Aug 31, 2011
This may seem like a stupid question,but how do I back up my HTC One S when I get it out of the box? (5 more days, can't wait)

Root and titanium is your best bet but if you don't want to root it just yet then you can use MyBackup (look on Google Play). I think they do a trial of the pro version but don't quote me on that :)

Reactions: unk2009

djsubtronic

Jun 16, 2010
Once the phone is rooted and a custom ROM installed, will we be able to use more than just a measly 10GB? The storage space is the only thing holding me back from buying this phone.

unk2009

Jul 22, 2009
New York(Hudson Valley)
Root and titanium is your best bet but if you don't want to root it just yet then you can use MyBackup (look on Google Play). I think they do a trial of the pro version but don't quote me on that :)

So how are you liking the One S ? I plan on buying the phone on 04/25/12 my only concerns are
1) battery(I have rooted MT4G and a battery pull has saved me many times...lol):eek:
2)storage space(I currently have a 16Gig SD card and that's 80% full):confused:
3)mini sim card:(
But the phone seems awesome...:cool:
Thanks

Dynam0

Aug 31, 2011
So how are you liking the One S ? I plan on buying the phone on 04/25/12 my only concerns are
1) battery(I have rooted MT4G and a battery pull has saved me many times...lol):eek:
2)storage space(I currently have a 16Gig SD card and that's 80% full):confused:
3)mini sim card:(
But the phone seems awesome...:cool:
Thanks

I'm really impressed with the One S, it ticks all the boxes and once I've tweaked it to my liking it will only get better.
For me the battery life is very good but if you have trouble with it then take a look at Juice Defender (on GooglePlay)
Storage place might be an issue to some, but getting 25 gigs space with dropbox makes things much easier on the storage front. :)

fipsib

Jan 16, 2011
Munich
I'm reading alot about S-ON & S-OFF these days as I'm very interested in flashing CM9 (as soon as some builds are available) to the HTC One S as I dont like Sense (not even the 4th alliteration).
Is the One S S-Off after this procedure?
(because I've read a lot of times that you can't flash a custom recovery or another ROM if the device is S-ON)

Would love to get an answer soon as I'm about to drive to my postcenter & take up my One S which I've won last week & I dont know atm if I should keep or sell it... (as I'm rocking a GT-I9000 atm I never cared much about HTC stuff, so pls help me ;))

bmk90

Jun 28, 2010
And again: You don't have to be S-OFF for flashing another ROM or a custom recovery...

I did it last night, so believe me, please! :) Where have you read that? :confused:

Reactions: fipsib

fipsib

Jan 16, 2011
Munich
And again: You don't have to be S-OFF for flashing another ROM or a custom recovery...

I did it last night, so believe me, please! :) Where have you read that? :confused:

& thanks again ;) [edit] I've posted here before I read your answer in the other thread [/edit]

give me some seconds & I'll post it here if you want me to ;)

[edit] here we go. Mentioned in the 2nd paragraphe; but I also read it somewhere else, but not shure where atm

Last edited:

bmk90

Jun 28, 2010
It's not completely correct.

With an Unlocked bootloader you can flash a custom recovery and a custom ROM. even if you are S-ON.

But you can't access your NAND partition and change e.g. the size of your /system partition...only if S-OFF.

nickmv

Jan 12, 2011
Memphis
Can someone please post a guide for the T-Mobile USA version? I'm hearing reports of bricked devices when following this guide.

nickmv

Jan 12, 2011
Memphis
I've done so much browsing lately that I can't recall, but I DO NOT want to F this thing up. That's a 2yr contract down the drain and $200 minimum.

We really need confirmation that it won't get F'd up when following the international guide.

azzledazzle

Dec 12, 2010
XDA Sucks !
well i spend all day on these forums, Cant say ive come across someone who has bricked their Tmo One S because of flashing root.. unless they did not follow instructions

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just a quick step by step tutorial to get a Custom ROM working on your One S.

Step 1: Unlock

• Go on http://www.htcdev.com and create yourself an account on HTCDEV.
    • Download These Fastboot Files
    • Make a new folder on your C:/ drive called fastboot.
    • Extract The Zip downloaded in step 2 to the new folder
    • Go Here http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/ and select "All Other Supported Models" and "then begin unlock bootloader"
    • Yes, Tick both Boxes, Proceed
    • Skip up to step 8 as we have all we need for the first 7 steps
    • Power off your phone by holding the power button down for 10 seconds
    • Power your phone on by holding power and volume down
    • Highlight Fastboot With Volume+or- then press Power
    • Plug your phone into your PC and open a Command Prompt.
    • (windows XP - Click Start > Run > type CMD in box then press OK
    • (Windows 7 - Click Start > type CMD in search box then press Enter)
    • Change directory to your folder where we put fastboot files cd c:\fastboot
    • Type this into your command prompt window fastboot oem get_identifier_token
    • Select & copy the text as per step 9 on the HTCDev website
    • Paste your identifier token into the box at the bottom and submit
    • You Will Very Shortly Receive an email from HTCDev with a link to the second part of the instructions and your "Unlock_code.bin" attached
    • Download the "Unlock_code.bin" from the email and save it to the same folder that we extracted fastboot files to in step 2
    • Type this into your command prompt window fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
    • The Display Will change on your phone, press Vol + to accept and power to confirm.

Thanks to bagofcrap24 for this part!

Step 2: Recovery

Step 3: Root

Make sure you are on the stock kernel!

• Now root your phone with SuperSU by Chainfire, thanks a lot!
    • Download SuperSU from the end of the thread
    • Flash it with the Recovery:
    • Power off your device and then hold the VOL DOWN + Power to boot into the Bootloader
    • Navigate with VOL and Power to Recovery
    • Now flash the .zip:

- install zip from sdcard
      - choose zip from sdcard
      - select the CWN-SuperSU-v0.87.zip file and flash it
      - Reboot now

Now you are able to flash any Custom ROM.

Credits:

Paul for the Recovery: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1579584
    Chainfire for SuperSU: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053

Video-Tutorial by Flow-Wolf (thanks buddy):

Bootloader Unlock:

Recovery Installation:

Root:

Custom ROM Installation:

If this helped you, make sure to thank me and to donate to Paul, Chainfire, koush or/and Flow Wolf!
    The HTC method is good as well :)

Android without root is nothing..
    what exactly are you typing at command prompt

you need to have usb debugging checked on phone
    you need the recovery image in same folder as your fastboot.exe/adb files
    you need to cd to that directory/folder
    you need the recovery image in that same folder
    you need to be booted into bootloader with fastboot highlighted
    and phone plugged into pc

you have to type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

where recovery.img is the exact name of the recovery image image you put in the folder where fastboot/adb is--usually tools or platform tools of your sdk

you can check the exact name by right clicking the recovery image in the folder and going to properties. I usually just copy and paste that into the command line

i solved it! i was missing the command fastboot flash "recovery" keyword before the recovery name! :D im dumb! lol thanks though
    hm.. first time unlocking, rooting etc using a mac and well, it could be going smoother.
    Anyways.

Ive unlocked the bootloader but when i try to flash the cwm recovery I'm getting the message;

unknown partition 'recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.3.1-ville.img'
    error: cannot determine image filename for 'recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.3.1-ville.img'

What am i doing wrong? The file is in the same folder as fastboot.exe and I've tried renaming it to a shorter filename (thinking I were typing it wrong).
    Ive tried both versions of cwm with the same result.

Im using this command;
    ./fastboot flash XXXXXXX.img

Should be
    Code:
    fastboot flash [B]recovery[/B] recovery.img

looks like you forgot the recovery bit
    But don't be afraid of htcdev, you don't loose the whole warranty

HTC One X with tapatalk 2