The gps issues on my vibrant have been driving me crazy. I think I have everything worked out now. I consistently get a lock (6+sats) in 20-30 seconds after boot. Maps/navigation work great now:
1. Hardware fix from this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=878970 - It's easy and only takes about 10 mins. I just bent the antenna up slightly. The soldering method is unnecessary.
2. Odin back to stock 2.1 vibrant rom. - You have to search for this, I lost the link. Also for this, I had to download Keis for the drivers. These were the only ones that worked with Odin.
4. CWM stock/deodexed 2.2 from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...036193&page=23
5. CWM the 4/18/2012 nightly from here: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?typ...ice=vibrantmtd I don't know if other versions will work!
6. CWM the newest gapps from here: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Lat...on/Google_Apps
7. CWM sub zero from here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/22833-ker...xtra-ordinary/
8. Turn on gps.
9. Install gps status: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sstatus2&hl=en - Go to setting - display and tools and check keep the screen on.
That's it. Reboot, and start gps status right away. Wait for a lock, then you can close the program. After that, the phone locks very quickly in Maps, Navigation, etc...
I hope this helps everyone out.
I always get a lock.