[GUIDE] Creating a localized SGH-T959V ROM

1,518 posts
Thanks Meter: 738

By itzik2sh, Senior Member on 23rd April 2012, 10:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone

I was getting some queries from Arabic, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Turkish and other languages speakers who wish to have their own loacalized SGH-T959V ROM.

So, here is what we did on HebrewValhalla ROM (Gingerbread BML) :
1. We took Valhalla Final as a basic ROM to be translated.
2. We found an SGS i9000 ROM already localized to the language we want.
3. We decompiled all Valhalla Final necessary APKs to be translated.
4. We decompiled all SGS i9000 necessary APKs to take their translations.
5. We recompiled all Valhalla Final APKs with the the new translations.
6. Pushed one APK at a time with language locality selected. verified and moved on. Finally did it for framework-res and chose language.
7. Minor adjustments, packing and publication.

Explanations :
1. First decide what is your ROM to be translated. download it and save it on a PC.
2. Find and download an SGS i9000 localized ROM. If there isn't such you're in trouble.
3. Download APKTOOL read this. Define the base ROM framework according to instructions and decompile all necessary APKs. save them all locally.
4. In a separate folder use another instance of APKTOOL and define the SGS i9000 ROM framework and decompile the corresponding APKs.
5. Find out what is your language 2 chars lang code (English=EN, Hebrew=IW).
Take out all the APKs Resource\values-XX and layout-XX and place them in the destination ROM corresponding APKs resources. for example :
SGSi9000ROM\APKTOOL\Projects\Camera\Resources\Valu es-XX should be copied to
ValFnl\APKTOOL\Projects\Camera\Resources\Values-XX
Compile all these APKs (take them from "modded apk") and remove the "signed" from the filenames.
6. Install a locality app like "MoreLocale2" with your selected or manually added language (for Hebrew it was IW, Hebrew) and check your APKs translations.
Once you finish compiling framework-res (and push it to framework folder - preferably through flashable zip or ADB) it will have your language inside and you could uninstall the locality app and choose it in the settings.
This will give you full framework UI support.
7.Take all files and put them in the original ROM location.

A) list of needed APKs on BML ROMs can be found here :

Need to take translations to
system apps:
AccountAndSyncSettings
Browser
Contacts
JobManager
MediaProvider
PackageInstaller
PhoneSetupWizard
SamsungApps
SamsungAppsUNA
SamsungWidget_ProgramMonitor
Settings
SnsAccount
SystemUI
TouchWizCalculator
TSMParts
TW4Launcher
Phone
Camera
TouchWiz30Launcher
TouchWizCalendar
Mms

framework:
framework-res.apk

Working directly from SGSi9000
system apps :

Talk
Street
ClockPackage
Music
Gallery3D
MusicPlayer
VideoPlayer
VoiceRecorder
MyFiles
AxT9IME
CallSetting
DialerTabActivity
Email
Gmail
Memo

B) Most of APKs are in system\app but for full UI you also need to handle the Framework\framework-res.apk

C) If you want to add tweaks and stuff : study how to make recovery flashables - search the web and examine tweaks and bootanimations and how their commands are written.

Now you can install your localized ROM.

Good luck!
(P.S - it took us 2 people about 10 days to release the first version).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to itzik2sh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift itzik2sh Ad-Free
23rd April 2012, 10:22 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Right to left languages (Arabic, Hebrew...) will additionally require RTL tweak - read this
You may need to also copy the fonts from SGS i9000 ROM.
23rd April 2012, 11:30 AM |#3  
Flag Hochiminh City
Thanks Meter: 2,851

Donate to Me
More
Great
Oh great, man...I'm very pleased helping you with vietnamese yay (just tell me what to do ...and thanx for including Vietnamese :x
23rd April 2012, 11:36 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I just did...
Please follow instructions very carefully, ask me if you don't understand anything and do it yourself according to the GUIDE.
The Following User Says Thank You to itzik2sh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift itzik2sh Ad-Free
23rd April 2012, 12:18 PM |#5  
Flag Hochiminh City
Thanks Meter: 2,851

Donate to Me
More
okay, I'll try my best to start something the next two week (have to finish the next exam week @@)...thanx for your guil...oooh and btw, can you give me any basic links as google is very wide that I don't know where to start with build.prop or framework lines...
23rd April 2012, 12:25 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
You're running too fast. Work according to this with a lot of trial and error and then carry on by searching the xda forums. 99.99% of your questions were probably already asked and answered.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA
The Following User Says Thank You to itzik2sh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift itzik2sh Ad-Free
5th June 2012, 09:57 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
By the way, even if there is no SGS i9000 ROM for your lanhuage you can still create the translated strings XMLs, it will just take you much much longer. Probably will need to spread the work with other teammates.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium
2nd August 2012, 01:15 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Hi Guys

This method is good for translating ICS ROMs as well.
I use it for HebMIUI.
The only thing changed is the version of APKtool to use and the system and framework apps to translate - this is a post I just sent Mataflikas :

Hi Amigo

To be able to translate Erik's MIUI ROM to Spanish,
What you need to do is go to miuiandroid site and download the SGS i9000 Spanish MIUI ROM.
Than download Erik's ROM. Download APKmanager/ APKtool for ICS and aapt ver. 1.5.0 and place aapt in the 'other' folder of apktool in your pc.
Now you need to copy framework-res.apk & framework-miui-res.apk from the Spanish ROM to the 'other' folder. Register both framework files by running in command line '..\other\apktool if framework-res.apk'
& '\other\apktool if framework-miui-res.apk'. Copy all system\app APKs as well as both framework files to the 'files to be modified' folder.
run the apktool batch script.
Decompile all the apks by selecting (option 22) & decompiling (9) one at a time.
Now go to each apk project folder (located in the projects folder) and enter the 'res' (resources) folder. I assume 'es' is the shortcut for Spanish locale - verigy that!
You need to take all the 'values-es', 'layout-es', 'raw-es' etc. These are the Spanish translations. Now repeat this for all the apks. Make a saparated apktool folder for Erik's ROM, register his own frameworks and decompile the same apks there. When you're done, throw every apk translation to the 'res' folder of the same app in Erik's ROM. When done, run script on Erik's and select (22) and compile (11) is this a system app? Choose YES, let me delete only changed data? Choose YES. Then it will make a 'keep' folder, go there and delete 'resources.arsc' file. Press any key and you have a new file 'unsignedAPKNAME' in the 'files to be modified' folder. Done with all apks you can replace them in the ROM zip and try to flash it. If framework-miui-res.apk is not valid you will enter a bootloop so leave it for the end. I didn't even recompile it on HebMIUI. Last things - you can change default locale & region in system\build.prop and change your gps location by changing the system\etc\gps.conf to the one of your country (google it). Good luck and let me know if you have a question.
And If you want to publish your result - talk to Erik first !

sent from me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itzik2sh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift itzik2sh Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)