I was getting some queries from Arabic, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Turkish and other languages speakers who wish to have their own loacalized SGH-T959V ROM.
So, here is what we did on HebrewValhalla ROM (Gingerbread BML) :
1. We took Valhalla Final as a basic ROM to be translated.
2. We found an SGS i9000 ROM already localized to the language we want.
3. We decompiled all Valhalla Final necessary APKs to be translated.
4. We decompiled all SGS i9000 necessary APKs to take their translations.
5. We recompiled all Valhalla Final APKs with the the new translations.
6. Pushed one APK at a time with language locality selected. verified and moved on. Finally did it for framework-res and chose language.
7. Minor adjustments, packing and publication.
1. First decide what is your ROM to be translated. download it and save it on a PC.
2. Find and download an SGS i9000 localized ROM. If there isn't such you're in trouble.
3. Download APKTOOL read this. Define the base ROM framework according to instructions and decompile all necessary APKs. save them all locally.
4. In a separate folder use another instance of APKTOOL and define the SGS i9000 ROM framework and decompile the corresponding APKs.
5. Find out what is your language 2 chars lang code (English=EN, Hebrew=IW).
Take out all the APKs Resource\values-XX and layout-XX and place them in the destination ROM corresponding APKs resources. for example :
SGSi9000ROM\APKTOOL\Projects\Camera\Resources\Valu es-XX should be copied to
Compile all these APKs (take them from "modded apk") and remove the "signed" from the filenames.
6. Install a locality app like "MoreLocale2" with your selected or manually added language (for Hebrew it was IW, Hebrew) and check your APKs translations.
Once you finish compiling framework-res (and push it to framework folder - preferably through flashable zip or ADB) it will have your language inside and you could uninstall the locality app and choose it in the settings.
This will give you full framework UI support.
7.Take all files and put them in the original ROM location.
A) list of needed APKs on BML ROMs can be found here :
Need to take translations to
Working directly from SGSi9000
system apps :
B) Most of APKs are in system\app but for full UI you also need to handle the Framework\framework-res.apk
C) If you want to add tweaks and stuff : study how to make recovery flashables - search the web and examine tweaks and bootanimations and how their commands are written.
Now you can install your localized ROM.
(P.S - it took us 2 people about 10 days to release the first version).