Barcode Scanner hack for Desire ICS

Search This thread

LaizyJumper

Jul 13, 2010
Hi,

I have compiled a "hacked" version of ZXing Barcode Scanner application. Current ICS camera (from Desire ICS v.0.3.6) does not support "preview shots" function. This hack uses "take Picture" instead. It is not as stable and fast as original version. But it reads codes if you are patient enough.
Just sharing what I have.
I will update this post when I have some better revisions available.

All credits for this amazing software to ZXing team

Have fun!

Log:
Code:
27-01-2012: Fixed camera "flash" function, 
now it uses a proper flash when taking a picture of barcode for decoding. 
Small changes in picture format conversion, giving slightly better results.

23-01-2012: Minor tuning. Do not write images to disk. Gives a little faster processing.

22-01-2012: Original hack.

Attachments

• zxing.apk
    612.9 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:

LaizyJumper

Jul 13, 2010
Mi qr camera is not working (that's the reason im here), any chances to have the apk so we can try to install it?

Qr Camera seems to be a different application. I changed the original ZXing Barcode Scanner. I used the original Open Source to do that. And it looks that any Qr Scanner is not open source (at least I am not able to find it to be). And I am not any expert on re-engineering. You may have to wait until Desire gets a properly working camera drivers for ICS or you need to find another software...

Leviathan2k

Feb 5, 2008
Darmstadt
www.olex.biz
Nice work, thanks a lot - works great with the BCM ICS rom. QR codes are pretty much the only thing I use the camera for, it was quite bad having it broken on an otherwise near perfect system.

JXB

Oct 28, 2009
Works well!
just annoying that g play tells me I should update.

Could you rename the app or something so g play does not recognize this as the normal zx ing barcode scanner?

Thanks

LaizyJumper

Jul 13, 2010
Works well!
just annoying that g play tells me I should update.

Could you rename the app or something so g play does not recognize this as the normal zx ing barcode scanner?

Thanks

No, sorry, I won't do that. It IS ZXing application and I won't make any changes to "re-identify" it differently.

I don't really understand why do you have to update it.

I have switched off all the automatic updates (and notifications) on my phone. Consumes less battery and it is much less annoying :p
Doing updates when I think I want to do that (in a controlled way) is much more safe and comfortable IMHO.

In addition, anyone who upgrades ICS to a newer version (whenever ICS camera gets completely fixed) can update the application in a native way instead of uninstalling, reinstalling, reconfiguring...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I have compiled a "hacked" version of ZXing Barcode Scanner application. Current ICS camera (from Desire ICS v.0.3.6) does not support "preview shots" function. This hack uses "take Picture" instead. It is not as stable and fast as original version. But it reads codes if you are patient enough.
    Just sharing what I have.
    I will update this post when I have some better revisions available.

All credits for this amazing software to ZXing team

Have fun!

Log:
    Code:
    27-01-2012: Fixed camera "flash" function, 
    now it uses a proper flash when taking a picture of barcode for decoding. 
    Small changes in picture format conversion, giving slightly better results.

23-01-2012: Minor tuning. Do not write images to disk. Gives a little faster processing.

22-01-2012: Original hack.