Master&Slave is coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DAGr8

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 27, 2010
Montreal
The thing is that the people who donated to get this phone for him feel screwed out of their money. And rightfully so. It's not that he's in over his head, he said he just doesn't like the phone. In my eyes, the phone is not his to sell. It should be given to a developer who will work on development for our phones. (The whole reason the phone was donated to him to begin with). This makes me sick and also gives XDA a bad name. This developer DOES NOT deserve our respect. Would you do something like this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

Whoa i wasn't talking about him. And i would not ask for anything upfront ever. I have been bashed for telling ppl to stop donate upfront right here on this very forum.

to ask for money is wrong in the first place and i said the exact same thing you are saying in a thread that got locked..

All im saying is users should donate as gratitude not expecting something in return this way nobody feels bad. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Last edited:

Skizzy034

Mar 10, 2010
Amsterdam, NY
www.facebook.com
Whoa i wasn't talking about him. And i would not ask for anything upfront ever. I have been bashed for telling ppl to stop donate upfront right here on this very forum.

to ask for money is wrong in the first place and i said the exact same thing you are saying in a thread that got locked..

All im saying is users should donate as gratitude not expecting something in return this way nobody feels bad. .

I'm sorry. you took what I said wrong We're lucky to have you working on this phone. I've tried every rom and keep coming back to yours. When I said the developer didn't deserve respect from us, I meant him. Nothing was geared towards you

Last edited:

zonyl

Jul 24, 2007
We understand the first point but he agreed that the phone was donated to him to develop for this phone. That is my understanding. It wasn't donated to him just so that he could have a Note, sell it, and keep the profit. In other words it's free money for him. I'm sure that's not what the donators agreed to.

My understanding is that a donation does not come with conditions of it's use, otherwise I would call that compensation or "prepayment" for services rendered.

bluetoothless

May 31, 2006
My understanding is that a donation does not come with conditions of it's use, otherwise I would call that compensation or "prepayment" for services rendered.
Maybe "not quite" in legalese, but believe it's safe to assume that was the sole purpose/expectation=(development) of everyone that donated. Also believe that in the long run this will hurt all developers' income so their inner circle may want to consider a "code red".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

schrochem

Jul 21, 2011
Well it's not a legal decision because there was not legal agreement. So he can do what he wants.
Having said that, it is a moral decision.
Anyone with an ounce of respect would do the right thing.
I guess he feels there is some sort of entitlement that justifies his actions.
I see it as completely disrespectful and dishonorable.

In popular culture terms this is where the use of the word 'douche' comes into play.

kaishi00

Mar 9, 2012

well, what do you call the money you give to charity? donations right? and you expect them to do what they say they're going to do with it.

Reactions: Skizzy034

unibomber

Aug 23, 2008
Toronto
At the end of the day you live and learn. If M&S was a stand up guy, he would just pass the phone off to another dev. If not, then you all have witnessed a "fool me once , shame on me" scenario.

pretty sad situation.

zonyl

Jul 24, 2007
well, what do you call the money you give to charity? donations right? and you expect them to do what they say they're going to do with it.

What exactly does United Way / Goodwill / etc. do with their donations?! Did they pay one of their executive bonuses with it that didnt deserve it? What control do you feel you have when donating to a charity? Usually when I give to charity I dont benefit in any direct way. Thus expecting someone to port a ROM for me with a "donation" doesnt seem right.

Further, Ill counter with another question: How does a developer receive gratis and not have to deal with managing peoples expectations?

I have been offered a lot of donations over the years and simply have to refuse them. Not because I wouldnt like to be acknowledged but because there doesnt seem to be a way to receive anything in thanks without hurting someones feelings.

If you have expectations from someone make it clear that it isnt donation and that you expect something in return for yourself.

Last edited:

wase4711

May 9, 2010
Outside of Phoenix, AZ
way too much over analyzation going on about this..

folks donated, so someone could get a note, with the express expectations to use it to develop on this phone; Dev decides he doesn't like phone, the PROPER thing to do would be to donate it to a Dev who wants to Develop for this phone, NOT to sell it and pocket the money..

bad karma follows people who blatantly make bad decisions...

kornklown69

Jan 21, 2011
Springfield, Missouri
way too much over analyzation going on about this..

folks donated, so someone could get a note, with the express expectations to use it to develop on this phone; Dev decides he doesn't like phone, the PROPER thing to do would be to donate it to a Dev who wants to Develop for this phone, NOT to sell it and pocket the money..

bad karma follows people who blatantly make bad decisions...

agreed so everyone fill his inbox up and ask for this

kaishi00

Mar 9, 2012
What exactly does United Way / Goodwill / etc. do with their donations?! Did they pay one of their executive bonuses with it that didnt deserve it? What control do you feel you have when donating to a charity? Usually when I give to charity I dont benefit in any direct way. Thus expecting someone to port a ROM for me with a "donation" doesnt seem right.

Further, Ill counter with another question: How does a developer receive gratis and not have to deal with managing peoples expectations?

I have been offered a lot of donations over the years and simply have to refuse them. Not because I wouldnt like to be acknowledged but because there doesnt seem to be a way to receive anything in thanks without hurting someones feelings.

If you have expectations from someone make it clear that it isnt donation and that you expect something in return for yourself.

no, you call it a donation because you expect it to do good for the community, in our case, development for the note, for charities, it would be to help the homeless or whatever cause they're championing. that is what you expect for either of those cases. you can't call it prepayment for a service because others that have not and will not donate also benefits from people that did donate. the people that donated isn't paying for a product in the same sense as commissioning a piece of artwork from an artist. there's a big difference here.

about your specific examples of what those charities do with their donations, that is irrelevant. there are bad ones and there are good ones, they're not supposed to be pocketing donations, that's not what's expected of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone that is familiar with the t989 development will be happy to know that Master&Slave will be dev'ing for the note very soon.

I attempted to make a bounty thread, but that didn't go too well. I asked myself what a good rom was worth, sucked it up and found a Note and bought one. He'll have it tomorrow.

Several of you on XDA donated to myself and Master&Slave directly. I CANNOT thank you enough. It blows my mind how people come together like that. :)

Along with a few ADT members we were able to collect what I estimate at this time to be $250 to offset the initial cost. Awesome.

Anyway, back to M&S...
    Here is some of his work:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1455292

He's promised to dev for the note.
    I've promised to host torrents of all his work. While it may not be fast at first, it will ALWAYS be available.

Sent from my Note on T-Mo 4G.
    -The Note is in my hands!
    If that's really what is happening here, I'd hope the developer would pass the baton on to another developer willing to pick up the effort. Donating after something is delivered is usually the safe bet, but I understand in some situations it's more of an encouragement to get a known developer to work on the platform by giving them the device to work with. I'm cool with that, but if that developer decides to move on, the reasonable thing to do would be to pass that device on to someone else who can remain active with development.

Again, I don't know if that's the case here, so I'm just speaking in generalities and not towards any specific individual.

The g2x community came together to buy morphic (very stand-up dev) one, when he wanted to sell it 8-9 months later he asked the community if it was ok with it. Of course he also said he knew and had what he needed and would continue development blind....

this is the whole point , I am not bashing any other devs , I respect them all , but real life comes first and you cant blame a dev for having other preferences or interests , the minute you pay for sometjhign upfront you start expecting things , thats when trouble starts , I ve seen great devs being bashed here on XDA for taking money upfront and not delivering , wanst his fault he just was in over his head and couldnt deliver what he was expecting to , still a top dev in my book , i wont name any names just saying , dont believe the hype , the only way you will get what you pay for is by trying it out first ..

like XDA rules says , you have your real life work to make money . Money here is a BONUS and well deserved one , its not a job .
    -You guys are funny
    -Tuesday is the ROM
    -Blk|Friday & Blu|Pulsar are themes for Tuesday
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    -If I get this device tomorrow, Tuesday wont be coming
    -I have a whole new scheme already planned
    The thing is that the people who donated to get this phone for him feel screwed out of their money. And rightfully so. It's not that he's in over his head, he said he just doesn't like the phone. In my eyes, the phone is not his to sell. It should be given to a developer who will work on development for our phones. (The whole reason the phone was donated to him to begin with). This makes me sick and also gives XDA a bad name. This developer DOES NOT deserve our respect. Would you do something like this?