[KERNEL][Xperia S] DooMKernel {GB}[Rel:v04a]{STOPPED}

13,205 posts
Thanks Meter: 39,835

Thread Closed Email Thread
23rd April 2012, 07:30 PM |#191  
Flag Turin
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Guys I'm sorry I read this topic and the recovery one, but about some things I'm quite confused, so I'll repeat what I got and tell me if I'm right or wrong...

TO HAVE ROOT
- I have to install the DooMKernel
- To install the DooMKernel I have to unlock the bootloader
- To unlock the Bootloader the easiest way is to follow what is written in the fist post of "Tutorial] Xperia S Bootloader Unlocking & Relocking"

THEN
- If I want to install a rom the only way is to use the Recovery by DooMLoRD that is based on CWM and compatible with Rom Manager

- There is no other way of doing this.

So, last point, the classic "Root modus operandi" that I had on SGS and SGS II like one click or just flashing a "rooted kernel" via pc utility is not yet avaiable, right?

Thank you very much.

23rd April 2012, 07:41 PM |#192  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Pune

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight77

Guys I'm sorry I read this topic and the recovery one, but about some things I'm quite confused, so I'll repeat what I got and tell me if I'm right or wrong...

TO HAVE ROOT
- I have to install the DooMKernel
- To install the DooMKernel I have to unlock the bootloader
- To unlock the Bootloader the easiest way is to follow what is written in the fist post of "Tutorial] Xperia S Bootloader Unlocking & Relocking"

THEN
- If I want to install a rom the only way is to use the Recovery by DooMLoRD that is based on CWM and compatible with Rom Manager

- There is no other way of doing this.

So, last point, the classic "Root modus operandi" that I had on SGS and SGS II like one click or just flashing a "rooted kernel" via pc utility is not yet avaiable, right?

Thank you very much.

there is no known exploit which works to root the Xperia S...

to get root u can either flash a pre-rooted system.img or flash a kernel which will do the rooting for u (e.g this kernel)...

to flash any kernel/system.img u need to unlock bootloader.... read unlock bootloader thread....
The Following User Says Thank You to DooMLoRD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DooMLoRD Ad-Free
23rd April 2012, 07:43 PM |#193  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 57

Donate to Me
More
hi doom
sorry for my limited english but i don't understand this step of your installation guide:
"save the kernel.elf in the folder with fastboot binaries (fastboot.exe files)"
Where is this folder?
Thanks
maybe it's this folder? look attached file!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cattura.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	1020979  
23rd April 2012, 07:44 PM |#194  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lex96

hi doom
sorry for my limited english but i don't understand this step of your installation guide:
"save the kernel.elf in the folder with fastboot binaries (fastboot.exe files)"
Where is this folder?
Thanks

you need the fastboot files

do a google search for "fastboot.zip"
download and extract that
23rd April 2012, 07:48 PM |#195  
Flag Rome
Thanks Meter: 57

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttleu

you need the fastboot files

do a google search for "fastboot.zip"
download and extract that

look my previous post
23rd April 2012, 08:25 PM |#196  
Flag Pune

Donate to Me
More
DooMKernel (v03) released
DooMKernel (v03) released!

[ changelog ]
  • added XZ compression support in kernel (kernel compiled with XZ compression)
  • enabled squashfs and added XZ compression support for it
  • updated ramzswap to ZRAM and enabled it (with many fixes thanks to faux123) [details on how to enable ZRAM are posted here]
  • added ZCACHE, CLEANCACHE, FRONTSWAP and enabled them (thanks to faux123)
  • updated JHASH to v3
  • shifted default TCP congestion algorithm to VENO
  • using newer stripped wifi module [smaller size with un-necessary debug code removed] (let me know if u face any issues then i will revert to full-debug-enabled one)

faux123 has posted very nice info regarding most features

download links at first post!!!

you can flash this over any previous version of my kernel... wifi module will automatically be flashed

please test out and let me know your feedback! kernel related bugs/issues should be posted in this thread, recovery related bugs/issues should be posted in recovery thread and general discussion goes in general discussion thread...

ENJOY!!!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DooMLoRD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DooMLoRD Ad-Free
23rd April 2012, 08:42 PM |#197  
Flag Pune

Donate to Me
More
Exclamation ZRAM
what is ZRAM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faux123

ZRAM (aka CompCache aka RAMZSwap)

ZRAM is an updated version formally known as CompCache and RAMZSwap. It was originally designed for 2.6.38.xx kernels, I have backported to our 2.6.35.xx kernel. ZRAM allows real-time compression of memory objects in RAM thus reducing memory pressure for the Linux kernel and can keep more apps in memory longer (more apps in RAM == better performance, less fetching from slower MMC or SDCard). Compression, however, is not Free. Some CPU cycles are required to do the compress/decompression, so there's a slight penalty for it. The original CompCache / RAMZSwap required a user space binary to control its behavior which adds additional penalty to performance, but the new version ZRAM eliminated the need for a separate dedicated daemon, thus reducing the overhead and increased performance from the old CompCache by 20%. Therefore, with the newer implementation of ZRAM interface, the performance penalty is almost negligible

how to enable ZRAM?

Code:
su
mkswap /dev/block/zram0
swapon /dev/block/zram0
u can create a init.d script to auto-enable it

Ref: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1216197
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DooMLoRD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DooMLoRD Ad-Free
23rd April 2012, 08:44 PM |#198  
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMLoRD

Ok guys I am really sorry for the issues u guys are facing but I really am not sure where the issue has cropped in...

As far as I understand v01a kernel works well on ALL devices right? Then I will start investigating the patches applied for v02...

Btw v03 kernel is ready... Got some awesome patches in which will give smooth performance... After v03 is released I will start work on investigating issues... I will post test kernels for those who are running into issues...

Sent from my LT26i using XDA

There is no reason to apologize DooM. We have your great recovery, backup and even kernel restore so it is easy to test
23rd April 2012, 08:54 PM |#199  
Flag Pune

Donate to Me
More
kernel finally finished uploading

enjoy!
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DooMLoRD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DooMLoRD Ad-Free
23rd April 2012, 09:10 PM |#200  
Flag Odense, Denmark
Thanks Meter: 173

More
V3 installed from recovery - no errors!

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium
23rd April 2012, 09:17 PM |#201  
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 21

More
My XS is capricious - still bootloop with v3 too, so come back to old good steel v01a
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
doomkernel, doomlord, kernel
Previous Thread Next Thread