[DEV][WIP] CM9/Ice Cream Sandwich

Search This thread

meabrams

Sep 9, 2009
Ok thanks for the info just wanted to try to figure out how build and help out. I will wait until you can get the repo up and running

Sent from my VS910 4G using XDA

Reactions: Mr Frog

nasaiya

Feb 5, 2012
I'm also interested in taking a crack at it once you have that repo up! My c/c++ skills are probably not up to par for everything that is needed, but I'm sure there's something I can help with.

Reactions: Mr Frog

threevolve

Apr 29, 2006
Memphis
Goodbye, LG Revo

I loved you, LG Revolution.. You had great hardware, and a nice clean look. But your developer community was so small, and LG had no interest in opening you up. You could have been so much more, LG Revolution, but it's time to face reality.. you'll never be as open as I need you to be. It's time for a new phone.

Darthchaz

Apr 16, 2011
Is anyone still working on this? I have been watching avidly for any updates and all we've seen is some semi interesting poetry :(

Haxcid

Jul 16, 2010
Ventura
Is anyone still working on this? I have been watching avidly for any updates and all we've seen is some semi interesting poetry :(

Sorry to say but development is pretty much dead for this phone. With out the complete source there was never much that could be done. My suggestion, never buy another LG smart phone, I know I won't. HTC and Samsung from here on out. If you can find a way to change out phones do so.

Reactions: Torin_93

drt054

Jan 8, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Last I heard PlayfulGod is still working on getting the RIL working for the Esteem which should then also work for the Revolution. But this is where Cubed gave up on cm7 oh so long ago. As for the OP of this thread.. who the hell knows why he bailed

WOOHOO!!! Post #500 :D

Haxcid

Jul 16, 2010
Ventura
Last I heard PlayfulGod is still working on getting the RIL working for the Esteem which should then also work for the Revolution. But this is where Cubed gave up on cm7 oh so long ago. As for the OP of this thread.. who the hell knows why he bailed

WOOHOO!!! Post #500 :D

The phone is a year old now and dev on has gone no where. Most have moved on to phones that have real support. Add to that LG's complete lack of offering the source and here we are. Tis why I will never purchase another LG phone. HTC or Samsung. No 4G in my area still, I knew it when I was in the store a year ago that I should have bought the INC2, they have a ton of Dev and like 20 ROMs. My last phone was an HTC, I do not know why I strayed. Now I am just going to wait till my line is up again (self inflicted punishment), I could up one of my other 2 lines and get a new phone but figure I will wait till they bring in a true killer phone with:

1.5+ dual/Quad core S4 or better
1+ Gb of RAM
32 Gb of storage
HD display (true 720P)
8MP+ camera
HDMI
4G LTE

Should be a while for Verizon to get one like that as they like to only get mid range phones and sell them at premium prices.

Congrats on #500

JetBlue

Jan 6, 2012
The phone is a year old now and dev on has gone no where. Most have moved on to phones that have real support. Add to that LG's complete lack of offering the source and here we are. Tis why I will never purchase another LG phone. HTC or Samsung. No 4G in my area still, I knew it when I was in the store a year ago that I should have bought the INC2, they have a ton of Dev and like 20 ROMs. My last phone was an HTC, I do not know why I strayed. Now I am just going to wait till my line is up again (self inflicted punishment), I could up one of my other 2 lines and get a new phone but figure I will wait till they bring in a true killer phone with:

1+ Gb of RAM
32 Gb of storage
HD display (true 720P)
8MP+ camera
HDMI
4G LTE

Should be a while for Verizon to get one like that as they like to only get mid range phones and sell them at premium prices.

Congrats on #500
You'll have to wait maybe another half a year or more for quad core and 4G to be combined together. Also, it seems that HTC is thinking Unibody is cool and making their phones with that. That is if they stay with that style. Samsung or Moto for me unless HTC stops unibody.

drt054

Jan 8, 2011
Cleveland, OH

1+ Gb of RAM
32 Gb of storage
HD display (true 720P)
8MP+ camera
HDMI
4G LTE

Congrats on #500

Hey.. that is just about my Rezound.. only 1.5 Dual Core S3, 16Gig internal, but I got the rest :)

PlayfulGod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 28, 2010
Dalton

1+ Gb of RAM
32 Gb of storage
HD display (true 720P)
8MP+ camera
HDMI
4G LTE

Congrats on #500

Umm LG released the src for it a long time ago ;) No not ICS src but thats because there is no ics for this device 'officially'!!!

I have RIL working on the esteem now and now working on getting it working a lil smooter n not so laggy, along with wifi etc etc.

I am only one man and only can do so much ;)

But when I get it a lil better on the esteem I will be porting it over. ;)

JetBlue

Jan 6, 2012
Umm LG released the src for it a long time ago ;) No not ICS src but thats because there is no ics for this device 'officially'!!!

I have RIL working on the esteem now and now working on getting it working a lil smooter n not so laggy, along with wifi etc etc.

Looks like I'll have to stick around with this phone a little longer then for some CM love.

Darthchaz

Apr 16, 2011
Awesome!!!!! I am so glad you are still working on this:D I am waiting with baited breath for your results. Keep up the good work!!

Reactions: Bait-Fish

drt054

Jan 8, 2011
Cleveland, OH

Awesome news PG.. you are one man but you are one helluva man :D

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

How is the Rezound? When I get a couple replacements for the Revo I might try and get the Rezound.

Sorry for the off-topic post here but I love it so far. Only bad part is Sense. Hate it. Got some good ROMs for it but anxiously waiting CM9 and/or AOKP which ProTekk is close to a working RIL. Otherwise I am on a leaked stock firmware but rooted, S-Off, and patiently waiting for CM9/AOKP.

Nobody has bought my Revolution as of yet but with this news I may hang on to it for a bit!! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been working on porting CM9 to the VS910. So far I have gotten it to boot to the lock screen.

What Works
    • Boot animation
    • Lock screen
    • SurfaceFlinger
    • logcat/adb shell
    • 3d accel is half working. I have gotten SurfaceFlinger to load up and interface the proprietary drivers (from GB) correctly, but HardwareRenderer (java framework) fails because the drivers don't give up a valid config.

What Doesn't Work
    • Touch screen
    • HardwareRenderer (fails because HardwareRenderer.chooseEglConfig() returns null value)
    • Everything else

Currently this ROM is totally unusuable for anything except for development. At this point, I do believe it is possible to get CM9 running, but it will take a good bit of developer effort. It would be helpful for any other developers around here to give some insight on the errors that come up in the adb logs.

How To Build
    1. Follow Google's instructions for setting up a Linux system or VM for Android AOSP building
    2. Follow CM9 build instructions up to brunch command
    3. git clone git://github.com/andyichr/makerom.git to a location, such as ~/android/makerom
    4. Overlay the files in ~/android/makerom/cm9-system/overlay onto the cm9/system directory (this adds vs910 brunch)
    5. Adjust values in makerom.sh to match your own paths (MAKE SURE TO POINT IT AT A VALID KERNEL --I didn't include instructions for building a kernel)
    6. Adjust values in makecm9.sh to match your own paths
    7. Run ~/android/makerom/makecm9.sh to build cm9 (this takes a long time, depending on your system)
    8. If build is successful, run ~/makerom/makerom.sh which will output a ROM which may be flashed to the device for testing

This is very rough work, but it proves that the basic parts of CM9/ICS do function on the Revolution. The cyanogenmod developers have already added some patches to the android source which allow ICS to run using video drivers from Gingerbread. This means it should be possible to get things working.

The current major problem with this ROM is that the HardwareRenderer does not initialize. Immediately after this, the main trebuchet process is killed and the system reboots itself after a while.

I will be happy to do what I can to support the process of porting CM9 to our phones. I read that a couple of other devs may be looking into porting CM7, but I think focusing on 9 might be more worth the effort, since we already have Gingerbread.

I have also attached a logcat to this post which should give developers some idea about what exactly is broken, which will lead to the first steps of debugging and porting.

Any interested developers should fork my repo on github (git://github.com/andyichr/makerom.git) which has the build scripts and patches.

That's about it for now. I very well may have left out some steps along the way. If you try to follow this process and it doesn't work out, let me know and I'll help you out.

ROM Download (very broken --only use for testing and development)

http://www.multiupload.com/GI0MLQYTE0 - Flash this if you want to see ICS boot to the lock screen or help test/debug. It's not useful for much else at this point.

We're getting there! I've already patched the android egl framework code slightly and built a kernel. CM team already patched frameworks/base for 2.3 video drivers. We'll patch what we have to to get this thing running! I am pretty busy but I will follow this thread and I hope for this to be a collaborative, transparent porting process! Good luck!
    Hey guys n gals, I submitted CWM to koush today for a official build. And CWM Touch will be available once koush does his thing, or hets his automated stuff completed on builder. finished lol.
    Hi All,

I'll give you a quick update on what's going on. I spent the weekend building and testing a build that has more support for our msm7x30 hardware. I did get the EGL problem out of the way, but the kernel is complaining about kgsl page faults. I believe this is because the build I have is using the gralloc.msm7x30 library built by the msm7x30 common config where we probably need to use the gralloc.msm7k library taken from a GB build because the drivers, firmware, and kernel are from GB.

Regarding the genlock support that thecubed mentioned, I found a CM build flag to turn off genlock support in the android build, which should allow us to use a kernel that doesn't have the genlock device driver. That said, I found a fellow developer named Isaac who is doing some great work on the Motorola Triumph. He's got a GB kernel that the applied genlock to. Looking at his work, it should be possible for me to do the same with our kernel. So, even though we may not _need_ genlock support in our kernel, it may be an easy win to get anyway, and it will make our kernel more ICS friendly.

From here, the next step I am going to do is merge what I can from Isaac's work (kernel and android device folder) into my own work. I'll also work on getting android to use our gralloc.msm7k rather than the generic msm7x30 one. It's not immediately obvious how to do that in the Android build config files, nor does it work to simply substitute our prebuilt library in system/lib/hw/.

Another thing -- beamer is sending me an extra phone of his for me to test with. This will help me tremendously as I won't have to backup my daily driver phone, take it apart, and reflash it every time I test a CM9 build. So, thanks a zillion, beamer! Your generosity will increase the efficiency of my process at least two-fold.
    Is anyone actively working on this?

Sent from my VS910 4G using xda premium

I still need to finsh that repo so others can take a stab at it.

I been working on RIL with CM7, which will need to be working for CM9 too. ;)
    Not sure about dead dead but I just had a new baby and finished up a semester of school and also started a new day job so I just haven't had time for any new contributions. Also my testing phone is in an awkward state with ext4 partitions and an ext4 recovery but we have no actual working ext4 roms (my ics rom included). So I have to do a bit of work to even get back to regular testing.

That said I am not "done" with this phone by any means and also things have settled down in my life a bit and I won't sign up for any more classes until fall at the earliest.

Taking all that into consideration, this is something I do for fun and probably most other devs do it for fun too so you really just have to see what developers and hackers put out and be happy with that. When there are expectations about what will be released in the future then it just becomes a job that doesn't pay very well. My rate in the real world is good so I don't really need this type of open source "internship" if you will. I just want to give you all some insight into a developer's thought process on this type of thing. In other words just be happy with what is out already and hope, but don't expect, for new contributions.

Sent from my VS910 4G using xda premium