[NEW] NT CM7 support thread

Search This thread

twofish

May 25, 2009
Access to the entire internal memory hasn't been worked on yet, there aer a couple of ways we could do it but currently we want to get the main system fully functional and stable first. We had though about giving access the the internal area as SDCard then the real sdcard as sd-ext but like I say we just haven't got around to that yet and probably won't for at least another week or two.

Thanks for an awesome ROM guys! Been happily running since day 1.

Just curious if the internal memory access has been set up yet?

Tel864

Nov 22, 2011
Greenville
only one... ah, darn... its just that some brands/classes of sd cards are very good at 'sequential' thruput, but then stink at 'random'. And you really need the later. This is 'only' my guess that the physical characteristics of the sd card is the problem maker. ( just my guess )

I can second that. I just dumped at class 10 card for a Sandisk Class 4 and it solved several problems I was having with CM7.

fiddler17

Apr 25, 2012
For SD card larger than 4 GB, the 'not allocated' space is at the end of the SD card (the 5th partition). The idea is to move 2nd, 3rd and 4th partitions to the very end of the SD card, so the 'not allocated' space is between 1st and 2nd partition. Then increase the size of the 1st partition by merging 1st partition and the 'not allocated' space together. These are steps I used with MiniTool:
1. Insert SD card into Windows 7 PC
2. You should see the partition allocations of SD in MiniTool
3. Mine has five partitions - (1) FAT32; (2) Ext3; (3) Ext3; (4) FAT32; (5) not allocated
4. The first four take totally around 4GB and remaining 4 GB to the 'not allocated' space.
5. Select/highlight the 4th partition and select "Move/Resize" from the menu bar
6. A popup window shows this partition alone. Point the mouse to the end of the partition and if the cursor turns into a cross, this is for moving the partition. If the cursor changes to a railroad, this is for resizing.
7. We need to move the 4th partition toward the end of the SD, so drag the partition toward right until hit the end while the cross cursor is at the right end of the SD. When you are done, the 'not allocated' space should be now between partition 3 and partition 4.
8. Repeat 7 for partition 3 and 2 until the 'not allocated' space is between partition 1 and 2
9. Select partition/highlight partition 1 and select "Move/Resize" from the menu bar. And this time do resize.
10. Resize - point a mouse to the right side of 1st partition and make sure the cursor changes to a railroad. Drag the railroad toward right until all the 'not allocated' space is all filled and left no empty space between partition 1 and partition 2.
11. Now you just allocate all unallocated space to partition 1 which Windows 7 can see.
12. You can sideload books to this SD partition (as Card A) with Calibre and native NT's Library will recognize those books just as from a SD card without CM7 partitions.

When I try expanding the 1st partition on my 32 GB card to include all of the unallocated space I can not boot into CM7. It even takes several minutes before it will boot into the Nook OS. It works great if I add the unallocated space to the 4th partition but I really would prefer to have it on the first so that the space will still be available for storage on the Nook side as well. Any ideas why this is happening or how to make this work?

By the way, I'm using a Nook Tablet, purchased early December 2011.

Thanks,

Last edited:

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
Would one of you please explain why we would want the added space to be an expanded 1st partition rather than the 4th?

If we put it on the 4th, is it unusable?

fiddler17

Apr 25, 2012
Would one of you please explain why we would want the added space to be an expanded 1st partition rather than the 4th?

If we put it on the 4th, is it unusable?

The reason that I personally want it that way is because I want the extra space available to the Nook stock OS, which only reads the first partition. It seems to me that if the extra space is on the first partition it should be accessible to both CM7 and Nook.

Someone somewhere offered another suggestion, which involved rooting into the Nook configuration and changing it so that the stock OS will read the 4th partition by default instead of the first, but as that involves changing the stock OS, I'd rather avoid it if possible. I don't want to void my warranty just yet.

If you've got another way of accomplishing this please let me know.

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
No, I know of no way to do ANYTHING :).

Part of my lack of understanding is that when something is to be saved, I never get asked "which partition do you want to store it on?"

Also, when I am looking at folders in a file manager, nothing there shows what partition the folder in "on."

Thus, I have seen no way to connect anything to anything else. If I expand partition 1 or 4, I have no idea where the expanded space "went."

Solar.Plexus

Jan 29, 2012

Part of my lack of understanding is that when something is to be saved, I never get asked "which partition do you want to store it on?"

Also, when I am looking at folders in a file manager, nothing there shows what partition the folder in "on."

Thus, I have seen no way to connect anything to anything else. If I expand partition 1 or 4, I have no idea where the expanded space "went."
Your NT will automatically mount only the first partition of your SD card unless you tell it to do otherwise.

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here
on my other devices, ( when i hook up ) i see two drives but on the NT, i see only one ( the external storage ).
Veronica mentioned "Multi Mount SD-Card" as an interim fix to this loss of functionality. hth.

fiddler17

Apr 25, 2012
Is "telling it otherwise" an edit to the fstab or is there an app/setting for it?

My brother showed me a link that tells you how to have the Nook mount the 4th partition. I'm hesitant to try it but I may give it a shot if I can't figure out anything else. The only thing is that the "file expert" app that they reference in the link below does not give you the root access capability for free. You have to pay extra now. Someone on another thread suggested Ghost Commander.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13668471&postcount=529

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

It seems very difficult to tell to me also. I found someplace in the settings that let me look at the available space but I wasn't completely sure what I was looking at. But I looked at my sd card on my PC using the MiniTool Partition Wizard (free download for PC). If you select the 4th partition and then on the sidebar on the left you should be able to select "Explore Partition" it will let you see the files that are on that partition. If I remember correctly those files seemed to correspond to the contents of /mnt/sdcard when I was browsing in the CM7 file manager. So, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the 4th partition is what CM7 is calling SDCard.

Voyaging

Nov 29, 2011
Wifi issues

First of all. THANK YOU for your solid work on this alpha CM7...best alpha i've ever dealt with for sure. :)

I'm really sorry if this has already been addressed somewhere else and i've just missed it. My wife's NT has to be rebooted everytime she walks away from it for any period of time just to get wifi working. Is there a fix for this?
Thanks,
Voyaging

movrshakr

Jan 20, 2011
..I'm really sorry if this has already been addressed somewhere else and i've just missed it. My wife's NT has to be rebooted everytime she walks away from it for any period of time just to get wifi working. Is there a fix for this?

It has been discussed in many posts. Did you do any reading or searching?

Your description sounds more extreme than others however. Are you sure it needs rebooting?

Have you tried just turning wifi off then back on? Also, Some have reported that also using an app called Wifi Analyzer (open/close) speeds up the wifi getting into connected state.

But it is true that when it goes to sleep, it usually loses the wifi connection and that has to be re-established.

The_Joe

Jan 2, 2012
Tacoma, Wa
First of all. THANK YOU for your solid work on this alpha CM7...best alpha i've ever dealt with for sure. :)

I'm really sorry if this has already been addressed somewhere else and i've just missed it. My wife's NT has to be rebooted everytime she walks away from it for any period of time just to get wifi working. Is there a fix for this?
Thanks,
Voyaging

The fix is to not have Wi-Fi sleep when the screen is off. I warn you, this will reduce battery life GREATLY. I turn Wi-Fi off when I am setting the nook down overnight. The benefit is that it always re-connects easily.

Wi-Fi Settings->Menu button->Advanced->Wi-Fi Sleep policy.

Hope this helps!

The_Joe

Jan 2, 2012
Tacoma, Wa
please give us more info about 'what has been done' to the nook. what alteration made the problem show up ? thx.

This is because our Wifi drivers are not awesome yet. This problem existed in stock 1.4.0 also.

Celtic is very busy right now with his wife and job, so this is what we have until ICS is finished. Once its complete its highly likely Wifi will be more stable.

fiddler17

Apr 25, 2012
That's correct. Just change "auto" to "4" so that your NT knows to mount the 4th partition of the SD card. The file is vold.fstab located in /etc.

Sorry to be so dense but can you please direct me to where this particular vold.fstab file is? The one that is easily located in /etc appears to be the one that CM7 is using and it's already mounting partition 4 as "sdcard". How do you get to the vold.fstab file that the stock OS is using? I've tried, as suggested elsewhere to do as root:

mkdir /mnt/nooksys
mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /mnt/nooksys

but I get an error that says that the device or resource is busy.

Thanks,

The_Joe

Jan 2, 2012
Tacoma, Wa
So, I gave a NT to my Grand Father, and he is running the internal CM7. He is elderly and having trouble with the text sizes, is there a way to adjust the text size across the whole device?

ShinnAsuka

Dec 9, 2011
Depending on the launcher u are using u can change the font size for example go launcher visual settings can change the font size.

Sent from my Nook Tablet using xda premium

The_Joe

Jan 2, 2012
Tacoma, Wa
Well, not just the Launcher, but across all the aps. I know most of these aps work on my phone, and the text is larger by comparison to the screen.

I figure there aught to be a way to make text across the device in all the aps larger....?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    To use ES File Explorer to edit system files, you need to go to ES File Explorer settings and checked "Root Explorer" and "Mount File System". To edit buid.prop, long press on the file and open it as text in ES Note Editor. Build.prop is in your system folder.

For wifi problem,

Try - edit your build.prop and commented out "wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 20" by "# wifi.supplicant_scan_interval = 20".

Not sure if it'll help with the random wifi drop.

While you're there, change "dalvik.vm.heapsize=64m" to "dalvik.vm.heapsize=128m"

Wifi calibration,

Turn off your wifi and open up terminal

# su
    # insmod system/etc/wifi/tiwlan_drv.ko <-only if tiwlan_drv.ko is not loaded, check by lsmod
    # start wlan_loader
    # ifconfig tiwlan0 up
    # wlan_cu -b
    # / w p 1 l 2 f 2 <-there is space between each character
    # / t b v 21
    # / t b t 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    # / q
    # /system/bin/rmmod tiwlan_drv

Now you can turn on your wifi.

For mounting media partition,

Try - edit your build.prop and add, "ro.additionalmounts=/mnt/media" and
    "ro.vold.switchablepair=/mnt/sdcard,/mnt/media".

I don't know if this work, but in my CM7 build it work when you turn on USB storage. It will mount both sdcard and media partitions.

For reading epub with Nook App,

Copy your epub to /sdcard/Nook/MyDocuments and refresh in the app.
    Now that we've released CM7 again for the NT I thought I'd best start up a proper support thread. Pleas keep it as back reports and help.

Please use this thread to post feedback and to ask questions. The Dev thread is for exactly that, development and not support! Please keep the development thread clear of support and feedback posts.

Live support may be available on irc.freenode.net irc channel #nook-tablet-chat, if any of us are around we'll be happy to help but don't bug people if they are busy please. A web version of irc is available here http://webchat.freenode.net?channels=nook-tablet-chat

When posting a bug or issue please use the following format

• Which install are you using (Internal or SD):
    • What version is your CM7 download that you are using (should be alpha final now):
    • Do you have any mods on your NT (updates or system modifications)
    • If yes to above what have you installed
    • Where is this bug (main system or which application):
    • Can this bug be easily replicated:
    • If yes to above how can we replicate it to check:
    • Description of the bug
    • Any other information we may find useful

Know bugs for Internal version will be in post #2

Known Bugs for SD version will be in post #3

I'm awaiting a Mod cleanup of this thread and all previous bugs up until the new release will be removed from this thread, should knock it back down to about 2 or 3 pages and give me the 2nd and 3rd posts I mention above.
    Bugs / Issues from the SD version

System will reboot if you remove the SD card, this is completely normal and you should not remove the SD while device is running from it.

Market will not work properly after the update unless you install the GApps (follow link in Dev thread)

Wifi sometimes does no reconnect after sleep, simply tap on the status bar to get notification up and toggle wifi off / on and it should reconnect.

There is currently no Reboot to Recovery option in the power menu, you can do this instead by going to rom manager (make sure it's updated via Market / Play)

Mounts aren't working properly due to a typo on 2 lines in build.prop. search this thread for how to fix the issue on SD release

There is still a possible issue with formatting. A member has said that asking the software to format the /media partition totally wiped his entire device completely removing the partition table creating a paperweight. As has been mentioned many times in both thread about CM7, if any formatting needs to be done please do it from a computer and if in the case of the Media partition that's not possible just delete files instead of formatting. Due to the risk involved we have not yet attempted to recreate this issue on our own devices!
    Bugs / Issues from the internal version

Market will not work properly after the update unless you install the GApps (follow link in Dev thread)

Wifi sometimes does no reconnect after sleep, simply tap on the status bar to get notification up and toggle wifi off / on and it should reconnect.

There is currently no Reboot to Recovery option in the power menu, you can do this instead by going to rom manager (make sure it's updated via Market / Play)

Mounts aren't working properly due to a typo on 2 lines in build.prop. update zip to be flashed via CWM available HERE

There is still a possible issue with formatting. A member has said that asking the software to format the /media partition totally wiped his entire device completely removing the partition table creating a paperweight. As has been mentioned many times in both thread about CM7, if any formatting needs to be done please do it from a computer and if in the case of the Media partition that's not possible just delete files instead of formatting. Due to the risk involved we have not yet attempted to recreate this issue on our own devices!
    New internal release version Alpha Final released today 9th March

When posting a bug or issue please use the following format to keep things easy for us

• Which install are you using (Internal or SD):
    • What version is your CM7 download that you are using (should be alpha final now):
    • Do you have any mods on your NT (updates or system modifications)
    • If yes to above what have you installed
    • Where is this bug (main system or which application):
    • Can this bug be easily replicated:
    • If yes to above how can we replicate it to check:
    • Description of the bug
    Any other information we may find useful