A Few Questions Regarding Bootloader and Rooting

Search This thread

Zerosuit Connor

Mar 8, 2012
Sydney
Hey XDA people :)

31b207f0-23e3-9b7c.jpg

I recently bought a Sony Ericsson Xperia Play R800i, running android 2.3.4 and the latest Sony apps and stuff I also know that is unlocked to any carrier. I had read some things about locked bootloaders on this phone and was interested in rooting.

Question
1. What is a locked bootloader and what does it do? Can I unlock and relock it?
2. What's the easiest way to backup everything, except games on my phone?
3. If I root will I still be able to upgrade to ICS when the time comes? If so what's the easiest method to root?
4. If I install the ICS beta, can I return to stock GB?
5. What are some benefits of rooting this phone, I know about Custom Roms and such, is there anything else?
6. Can you dual boot between to different versions of android on the phone?

I think thats it, I'm used to my cheap Huawei U8180 that I could do anything too, I just don't wanna **** something up on this one.

Sent from my Xperia Play R800i using Tapatalk Android

Last edited:

XperiaPlayer

Jul 26, 2011
Manchester
1. A locked bootloader, means that you cannot flash roms using flashtool or flash kernels. You can unlock it and I think there is away to relock it. However, unlocking it voids the warranty.

2. The easiest way to backup everything is to run a NANDROID backup from recovery.

3. If you root, you will still be able to upgrade. The easiest method varies, but if you dont want to unlock your bootroader look up ZergRush.

4. If you install the ICS beta yes you can return to stock GB.

5. Rooting the phone allows you to use themes, install clockwork mod recovery, install apps to sd card and various other things.

6. You can dual boot in a sense but it is still being worked on.

Reactions: Zerosuit Connor

Zerosuit Connor

Mar 8, 2012
Sydney
1. A locked bootloader, means that you cannot flash roms using flashtool or flash kernels. You can unlock it and I think there is away to relock it. However, unlocking it voids the warranty.

2. The easiest way to backup everything is to run a NANDROID backup from recovery.

3. If you root, you will still be able to upgrade. The easiest method varies, but if you dont want to unlock your bootroader look up ZergRush.

5. Rooting the phone allows you to use themes, install clockwork mod recovery, install apps to sd card and various other things.

If my bootloader is locked can I install your ICX Rom via ClockworkMod recovery?

captain67

May 23, 2011
Aldergrove
If my bootloader is locked can I install your ICX Rom via ClockworkMod recovery?

You can't install the ICX kernel without unlocking the bootloader, so no.

Locked cwm only works with certain stock-based roms, like T.E.A.M. or Darkforest.

To install anything else you need a cwm kernel that has been flashed with fastboot. The type you install with an app after obtaining root cannot change kernels, only the system partition.

Basically, one runs from kernel, the other runs from system.

Custom kernels can only be flashed with fastboot.

Stock kernels can be flashed with fastboot or flash mode.

You only have usable fastboot with an unlocked phone.

If you try flashing something like cyanogen with the locked recovery you'll get a boot loop.

Sent from a Galaxy far, far away

Last edited:

Zerosuit Connor

Mar 8, 2012
Sydney

Locked cwm only works with certain stock-based roms, like T.E.A.M. or Darkforest.

To install anything else you need a cwm kernel that has been flashed with fastboot. The type you install with an app after obtaining root cannot change kernels, only the system partition.

If you try flashing something like cyanogen with the locked recovery you'll get a boot loop.

What's the easiest way to unlock my bootloader? I would like it to be one of the reversible methods so if I **** it up, I can claim warranty.

captain67

May 23, 2011
Aldergrove
What's the easiest way to unlock my bootloader? I would like it to be one of the reversible methods so if I **** it up, I can claim warranty.

Personally I like to use Omnius, but it can't be re-locked per se. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1134334 as you can see in that thread, it's patched to seem locked but if they try loading an unsigned image it'll still work so they would find out.

I think re-locking only truly works for the official method, which if you're carrier locked isn't possible.

Also if you use Omnius, be very careful about leaving the sticker covering the test point intact or the warranty is void.

Last edited:

Zerosuit Connor

Mar 8, 2012
Sydney
Is there anything purely software? Can the one that sony ericsson posted for their handsets be relocked?

I have no experience with testpoints and it all seems way to much of a pain in the ass.

captain67

May 23, 2011
Aldergrove
The carrier locked plays can be done ONLY with the test point. That's it, no exceptions.

If you bought the phone full price and not carrier locked, you can use the official Sony method, which is reversible.

Unlocking your sim does not enable fastboot to use the official method so don't bother asking.

When the phone is off, hold the search button and plug it into USB. If the notification light is blue and the screen stays black, you have fastboot and can use the official method.

Last edited:

Zerosuit Connor

Mar 8, 2012
Sydney
Worked brilliantly and I am so impressed, thankyou to eeveryone. What's the best kernel for the xperia play? I have the doom kernel atm

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Gjusmc

Apr 26, 2012
I've been trying to unlock the bootloader on my R800i using the instructions on the sony unlockbootloader site. My phone isn't locked to any carrier, it says the bootloader is unlockable, and when I put it into fastboot mode with the search key while plugging in I get the blue light and I get a device that shows up under device manager as S1Boot Fastboot. I've installed the android sdk along with google usb driver 4.0 and the android_winusb.inf file from the site. It keeps telling me that no drivers were found when i manually try to install the driver though, also tried downloading fastboot usb drivers from a few other places (also to no avail). Keep getting the waiting for devices message without this driver being installed.

Anyone have any ideas why this driver won't install for me?
Running Windows Vista SP2 and using my SE Xperia Play R800i.

Appreciate any help.

Zerosuit Connor

Mar 8, 2012
Sydney
I've been trying to unlock the bootloader on my R800i using the instructions on the sony unlockbootloader site. My phone isn't locked to any carrier, it says the bootloader is unlockable, and when I put it into fastboot mode with the search key while plugging in I get the blue light and I get a device that shows up under device manager as S1Boot Fastboot. I've installed the android sdk along with google usb driver 4.0 and the android_winusb.inf file from the site. It keeps telling me that no drivers were found when i manually try to install the driver though, also tried downloading fastboot usb drivers from a few other places (also to no avail). Keep getting the waiting for devices message without this driver being installed.

Anyone have any ideas why this driver won't install for me?
Running Windows Vista SP2 and using my SE Xperia Play R800i.

Appreciate any help.

Have you installed the android dev tool, forget what it's called

Sent from my Xperia Play using Tapatalk :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Personally I like to use Omnius, but it can't be re-locked per se. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1134334 as you can see in that thread, it's patched to seem locked but if they try loading an unsigned image it'll still work so they would find out.

I think re-locking only truly works for the official method, which if you're carrier locked isn't possible.

Also if you use Omnius, be very careful about leaving the sticker covering the test point intact or the warranty is void.

Is there anything purely software? Can the one that sony ericsson posted for their handsets be relocked?

I have no experience with testpoints and it all seems way to much of a pain in the ass.

u can follow this tutorial.. working with all xperia 2011 phone :)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1034087
    The carrier locked plays can be done ONLY with the test point. That's it, no exceptions.

If you bought the phone full price and not carrier locked, you can use the official Sony method, which is reversible.

Unlocking your sim does not enable fastboot to use the official method so don't bother asking.

When the phone is off, hold the search button and plug it into USB. If the notification light is blue and the screen stays black, you have fastboot and can use the official method.