[DEV] Unofficial Cyanogenmod 7 for Lenovo Ideapad A1

Search This thread

mojo6911

Sep 14, 2010
Unfortunately, I had to go back to stock. I am using this to connect with my car stereo through A2DP while using GPS it cuts out too much to be able to use. Researching the issue, it seems like a common issue with other CM7 builds.

gmarkall

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2010
London
Can we get a fix with this soon? I am sure lenovo is working on the issue I just don't want to go back stock

Sent from my A1_07 using XDA

Absolutely - you're free to figure out what the problem is and develop a fix as soon as you like. We'd be happy to incorporate your changes!

Many thanks!

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA

dzyuba

Apr 24, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I appreciate your hard work and time put into this project. For me this CM7 rom is as good as I need it to be. I don't use the camera, headphones or a sim card so I'm not having any noticeable issues.

Any future updates / fixes are welcome at your convenience. I've been lurking on XDA for a while but decided to join just to keep updated with this project.

gmarkall

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2010
London
I appreciate your hard work and time put into this project. For me this CM7 rom is as good as I need it to be. I don't use the camera, headphones or a sim card so I'm not having any noticeable issues.

Any future updates / fixes are welcome at your convenience. I've been lurking on XDA for a while but decided to join just to keep updated with this project.

Thanks - I do want to sort things out, but there is a long list of things to do still, and I have very little free time at the moment.

Reactions: milaq

mojo6911

Sep 14, 2010
Yes. I don't think this problem exists anymore anyway - are you having crashes? If so, what nightly build are you using?

I am just thinking ahead. I am using my tablet as a car stereo. Originally, I had it connect via A2DP, but that is buggy in CM7, and the quality is crap on the stock ROM.

I am going to just run through the 3.5mm jack directly to my head unit, but I wanted to make sure it is working before I go back to CM7.

Thanks.

Reactions: gmarkall

wanderer87sg

May 6, 2010
Hi, thanks for the development for the lenovo A1. I had been using it for months. However, there is 1 small problem. When i plug the A1 to the windows 7 pc, it did not show the USB mounting and the windows 7 also did not show the mounting of the A1. Not sure is it the hardware problem or is it the software problem.

MadPriest

Mar 7, 2007
Toronto
Hi, thanks for the development for the lenovo A1. I had been using it for months. However, there is 1 small problem. When i plug the A1 to the windows 7 pc, it did not show the USB mounting and the windows 7 also did not show the mounting of the A1. Not sure is it the hardware problem or is it the software problem.

what build are you using?
try switching to a different cable and check with other USB ports

monsieurtalbot

Aug 8, 2010
West Palm Beach
www.facebook.com

I noticed this issue when I wasn't using an SD card...

Try going to:

Settings>Cyanogenmod settings>Application settings

-and tick the "use internal storage" box. Then reboot.

Then try again. Should fix the problem **IF you don't have an external SD**. :)

monsieurtalbot

Aug 8, 2010
West Palm Beach
www.facebook.com
So I went ahead and compiled JUST the uimage into a little 1.2ghz kernel (apparently there's a new version that fixes reboot. Looking now)... (STILL won't reboot unless I do it via CWM)... Then everything is fine. Not a big deal, just a little pain in the ass. Especially if you get a random restart... Then it can get dicey.

Here's the download... 1.2Ghz Overclock Kernel (flash with CWM) - (REMOVED DUE TO BOOT ISSUES see this post for download link of fixed kernel http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25326568&postcount=150)

-and here's a CWM flashable .Zip of the stock kernel so you can go back if need be... http://www.mediafire.com/?o6c67k927i23y2v

^I can confirm flashing the stock DOES fix the (re)boot issue caused by the overclock kernel. Hopefully this .Zip saves some people from un needed wipes if you have to go back.

I was hoping someone with a little more know how than myself could take a look and see if it's something dumb keeping it from cold starting and rebooting. Would greatly appreciate any insight... Thanks!

Can someone please upload the uImage with the boot fixed please? I'll compile it into a CWM flashable .Zip... Thanks!

Last edited:

mandozza

Mar 1, 2012
Huenxe

Did you see anything in the status bar of the A1 after you connect the A1 with Win7?

milaq

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2009
milaq.net
custom kernel now included

from now on, our custom kernel will be included in the nightlies.
that means a new kernel will be fused upon flashing cm7.

please consider updating your u-boot to the new fastboot included version by gmarkall (instructions in first post).
in case anything goes wrong you can easily recover everything via fastboot without having to build an sdboot package.

any change making it into the kernel repo does NOT necessarily mean that we already included it in the nightlies. we are pushing prebuilt kernels to the device repos. i.e. keep an eye out for commits to the device repo like "update prebuilt kernel".

have fun and pls report back.

cheers

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Cyanogenmod 7 for the Lenovo Ideapad A1, by Milaq and myself.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN

You should install the modified bootloader that allows you to get into fastboot mode if necessary. This is because there is only one kernel on the A1, and if the kernel causes problems (unlikely, but it's better save yourself the risk) you won't be able to boot normally or into recovery. Being able to boot into fastboot mode gives you a way out of this by allowing you to flash a kernel through usb with the fastboot command. See this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25186171&postcount=120

Simple installation guide

David Artiss has written a beginners' guide that walks you through the process of installing CM7 starting from the stock system. Get to it here:

http://www.artiss.co.uk/2012/04/installing-cyanogenmod-on-a-lenovo-ideapad-a1

Syncing and building it:

Clone the Cyanogenmod repository:

Code:
    repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b gingerbread

Then add the local manifest:

Code:
    git clone https://github.com/milaq/android.git local-android
    cd local-android
    git checkout gingerbread
    cd ..
    cp local-android/local_manifest.xml android/.repo

They sync the repo, get rom manager, and build:

Code:
    cd android
    repo sync
    ./vendor/cyanogen/get-rommanager
    source build/envsetup.sh && brunch A1_07

What works:

Graphics HW acceleration
    Touchscreen
    Buttons (vol, power, menu, back, home)
    Removable SD card
    Audio
    Accelerometer
    Wifi (see caveat below)
    Bluetooth
    Vibration
    Internal SD card
    Front and back camera for still images, video recording from back camera
    GPS
    HW accelerated decoding (h.264 etc)

Issues

No 3G on the 3G versions.
    Video recording from the front camera
    Accelerometer switch not working
    Market gives phone layout instead of tablet layout after update
    Modified partition layout used with CWM 5.0.2.8 seems to prevent the internal SD card mounting.
    GPS Time from android.location.Location.getTime() is wrong (1 day ahead?).
    DSPManager sometimes crashes when headphones are inserted.
    Bluetooth file transfer doesn't work, but Bluetooth HID seems to work.

IRC Channel

#ideapad-a1 on irc.freenode.net.

Recent logs at http://shron.de/irclogs/ideapad-a1.log
    Some older logs at http://shron.de/ideapad-a1.log

Download page

Nightly builds, built by Milaq and hosted by goo.im:

http://goo.im/devs/milaq/a107/cm-7

Acknowledgments

Many thanks to:

Milaq - fixing loads of things: Camera, GPS, vibration, autobrightness, cpu responsiveness, scrolling performance, wifi geolocation, disabling background blur, hiding phone signal by default, density fixes, etc, etc, ...
    SpiegelEiXXL - many discussions and thoughts, setting up nightly builds, hosting nightly builds.
    Pati- for spotting how to prevent the reboots and internal SD card fixes.
    Templis - Channel logs

Collaboration

Please feel free to discuss this porting effort here, point out errors, fork the repositories, submit patches/pull requests etc! :)
    Latest updates:

18 Feb: Nightly downloads added. Please follow the commit log on Github for further details of updates: https://github.com/gmarkall/android_device_ideapad_a1/commits/gingerbread

12 Feb: Fixed the 5:43 reboot issue, wifi (sort of), and accelerometer. New version on download page.

17 Jan: Got it booting, added download page.

15 Jan: Made some very hacky changes that allow an otapackage to be built.

14 Jan: Tried flashing it - so far not quite booting as far as the home screen, but does get to the boot screen.

13 Jan: I had the wrong size for the system partition, which was causing make_ext4fs to fail. This is now corrected, and the build finishes.

13 Jan: I created an IRC channel for discussion of Clockworkmod, Cyanogenmod and development on the A1. It is #ideapad-a1 on irc.freenode.net.

12 Jan: I've added a few more bits and bobs to the build - in particular editing BoardConfig.mk to include settings for building libaudio.so, using the camera stub for the time being, bluetooth settings, etc. Also added some missing files: /etc/media_profiles.xml and vold.a1.fstab, overlay.omap3.so.

11 Jan: added a script that pulls the proprietary libraries off the device and creates a vendor/lenovo/a1 folder for them.
    Wifi issue hack/workaround

After some fiddling around, as long as you run

Code:
    echo 1 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state

before turning on wifi, and

Code:
    echo 0 > /sys/class/rfkill/rfkill0/state

after turning it off, you can turn it on and off as often as you like - in effect, this seems to solve the wifi reboot issue. I'm currently looking for the most sensible place to add this fix into the CM7 build.

EDIT: I'm just compiling and testing the fix. More news hopefully soon...

EDIT 2: After some very brief testing, the fix seems to be working. I've committed the code changes so the next nightly should have fixed and fully working wifi. Please let me know how you find it!
    mirror for the new nightly builds:
    download here

the builds should be up at 01:00-02:00 UTC every night

enjoy
    Can we get a fix with this soon? I am sure lenovo is working on the issue I just don't want to go back stock

Sent from my A1_07 using XDA

Absolutely - you're free to figure out what the problem is and develop a fix as soon as you like. We'd be happy to incorporate your changes!

Many thanks!

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA