[MOD] Tablet/Hybrid UI Mode [CM9][ALPHA6+]

Search This thread

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL
Sorry I haven't updated OP, been busy with studying, doing work. Its finals week. Can't wait til Friday.

EDIT: Updated OP between studying lol. Please make sure to give Xylograph his thanks. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have this awesome mod.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fattmann

Mar 5, 2010
Hot damn, about to give this a go. Calkulin's v3.0 has been giving me hell..

Question tho- Can you with Nova (or any other Launcher for that matter) change the bindings on the soft keys?

I did a honeycomb theme on my Evo way back, and had the soft keys look the part, but they were just bound to different actions as to avoid redundancies. Or even a remap of the hard keys..

Just a thought. Hopefully this will work out this time, last time I tried CM9 and AOKP ROMs my phone put up a fight, lol.

Thanks to the devs!

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL
Hot damn, about to give this a go. Calkulin's v3.0 has been giving me hell..

Question tho- Can you with Nova (or any other Launcher for that matter) change the bindings on the soft keys?

I did a honeycomb theme on my Evo way back, and had the soft keys look the part, but they were just bound to different actions as to avoid redundancies. Or even a remap of the hard keys..

Just a thought. Hopefully this will work out this time, last time I tried CM9 and AOKP ROMs my phone put up a fight, lol.

Thanks to the devs!

Im not sure if what you want is possible. I think I've heard of an app that can do that so try searching that. Juat try it on a clean install and it should work fine. Let me know if you're having any trouble.

Reactions: theonebakery

fattmann

Mar 5, 2010
I've had a few roms in the past that allowed changing the bindings on the physical keys, the mod I was describing is more of a launcher tweak, Im sure it's doable but not complaining at all.

Seems to be working well! Literally just booted with the 128dpi. Will have to sift through all the settings and get it running proper tomorrow.

Two questions: What is the limit on the dpi before it reverts to phone UI?
And also (this is probably better suited for the AOKP thread), will restoring my apps with Appextractor from a TW rom cause FC on a AOSP rom?

Otherwise looks good so far! Will have to check back in a day or so and let you guys know. Thanks again.

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL
I've had a few roms in the past that allowed changing the bindings on the physical keys, the mod I was describing is more of a launcher tweak, Im sure it's doable but not complaining at all.

Seems to be working well! Literally just booted with the 128dpi. Will have to sift through all the settings and get it running proper tomorrow.

Two questions: What is the limit on the dpi before it reverts to phone UI?
And also (this is probably better suited for the AOKP thread), will restoring my apps with Appextractor from a TW rom cause FC on a AOSP rom?

Otherwise looks good so far! Will have to check back in a day or so and let you guys know. Thanks again.

128 is the limit. Set it to 129 and it will revert to phone ui. And im not sure about the second question but doesnt hurt to try. I restore appps for titanium backup all the time with little problem.

Reactions: theonebakery

fattmann

Mar 5, 2010
128 is the limit. Set it to 129 and it will revert to phone ui. And im not sure about the second question but doesnt hurt to try. I restore appps for titanium backup all the time with little problem.

I found Appextractor through someone mentioning it on here, I like its Super simplistic interface. Will give it a try with the restores today and report back.

So far it seems rock solid! Ended up going with AOKP 34, and wouldn't you know it has the button customization I was looking for baked into the ROM. While I haven't finished my setup- that allow me to have soft keys on the status bar, while not being redundant with the hard keys. Just need to find appropriate themed icons and I'm set!

The only "bug" I ran into was on the first two boots, there was a crazy rendering (right word?) glitch when trying to add icons to the homescreen. When long pressing to drag from the drawer, or long pressing an icon on the homescreen, it would auto-rotate to landscape and drop your icon.

After the third reboot this issue disappeared. Just thought I would mention it.

Keep up the good work.

DutchDogg54

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 16, 2011
Des Moines, IA

Im not sure if what you want is possible. I think I've heard of an app that can do that so try searching that. Juat try it on a clean install and it should work fine. Let me know if you're having any trouble.

Here's an app Button Remapper that will let you remap the capacitive buttons - I always just switch the menu & search...how stupid is it to have to reach all the way over for the button you use so much, when the one right by your thumb is the one you use the least (at least I never use the search button). This used to be in the market...er, play store but it's not there anymore - but now it lives on!

fattmann

Mar 5, 2010
Here's an app Button Remapper that will let you remap the capacitive buttons - I always just switch the menu & search...how stupid is it to have to reach all the way over for the button you use so much, when the one right by your thumb is the one you use the least (at least I never use the search button). This used to be in the market...er, play store but it's not there anymore - but now it lives on!

Fantastic! I will give it a go.

Also, I've ran into a snag. I was messing with the nav bar icons, and got them all boogered up, so I hit reset nav bar. Now I have no nav bar. Did a few reboots, played with some settings, nothing. I could do a full reflash, but I am not near a computer with ODIN.

Any suggestions?

kleen3r

Nov 8, 2009
Fantastic! I will give it a go.

Also, I've ran into a snag. I was messing with the nav bar icons, and got them all boogered up, so I hit reset nav bar. Now I have no nav bar. Did a few reboots, played with some settings, nothing. I could do a full reflash, but I am not near a computer with ODIN.

Any suggestions?

Go into settings rom control and power menu. Turn on the navigation bar. Then use the toggle.

Reactions: fattmann

fattmann

Mar 5, 2010
Go into settings rom control and power menu. Turn on the navigation bar. Then use the toggle.

That did it. Thanks!

Does anyone happen to know where the soft key icon .pngs are in the ROM structure? I wanted to have 4 or 5 soft keys, with legit buttons, but do other functions, but I can't find the .pngs anywhere when sifting through the .zip.

Specifically I'm currently looking for the three vertical squares that several people are running, but none of the presets auto populate.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Screenshot_2012-07-02-19-09-15.png

Tested working on alpha 6 and 07/01 build

Install instructions below

Code:
    download services.jar
    push file thru adb

adb root
    adb remount
    adb push services.jar /system/framework
    adb reboot

reboot might take a while be patient, once booted follow the usual steps, use rom toolbox to set dpi to 128

Note: do not used the modified phone.apk, the actual phone.apk that comes with cm9 will work.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8566596/services.jar <~~~ dl here or attatched file
    All thanks go to im0rtalz so make sure you thank him! This is confirmed working on Alpha6 and 7/01 nightly. Any other nightly from here on may or may not work since new code is being added with each build. Do not take your CM9 problems into the dev thread or general discussion thread after flashing this mod. You have replaced chunks of code in the builds they provide so you are no longer running stock CM9!
    Screenshot_2012-07-02-19-09-15.png

Tested working on alpha 6 and 07/01 build

Install instructions below

Code:
    download services.jar
    push file thru adb

adb root
    adb remount
    adb push services.jar /system/framework
    adb reboot

reboot might take a while be patient, once booted follow the usual steps, use rom toolbox to set dpi to 128

Note: do not used the modified phone.apk, the actual phone.apk that comes with cm9 will work.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8566596/services.jar <~~~ dl here or attatched file
    I only tested this on a clean install of m6 from chris41g build. I believe it should work on timesinfinity also. If you would like to try it please make a backup first.

wipe cache/dalvik cache
    install zip here https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8566596/TabletUI_AOKP_M6.zip

Rom Control enable navigation bar, but do not reset yet
    General UI settings set dpi to 128 then reboot.

fyi at your own risk and I probably won't be around to answer many questions pretty much how my cm9 one I posted.

Good luck and if anything breaks so sorry, restore your backup.

Edit Please keep all issues and questions here since if you are using this mod you are no longer using stock aokp so please do not clutter his dev thread same rules applies also to the cm9 mod.
    guys, AOKP was just updated to build 34... will this mod work with that or do i really have to kick back to 33?

For AOKP TabletUI mods please check my main thread for updates..
    OK guys, it has been brought to my attention that aokp is no longer, at this current time, a tablet UI capable rom. Apparently the AOKP team has changed a lot of their code and in the process has broken tabletUI functionality. So it appears it wasn't just me. Now, its possible a more experienced dev might be capable of figuring it out for AOKP but I just don't think the demand is high enough. In the meantime I will try to get things squared away for other aosp roms. I'll be back after work this afternoon to report my findings.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA