ics on a500

Search This thread

Neoprimal

Apr 20, 2007
Alexandria, VA
Acer_AV041_A500_1.033.00_PA_CUS1 - ICS 4.0.3 fully upgraded

OTA hit mine in US Colorado about 2:30a mt...

Upgrade was painfree, so far no issues.

Same here,

No issues thus far. I made sure to do a factory reset after I updated to be absolutely sure because in my experience going to a major release pretty much always warrants one (there's always an app or a setting that just doesn't sit right with the new firmware).

After letting my apps all come back from Google Play (I haven't tested them all), I can say that I haven't experienced any issues yet and definitely nothing that some other folks are reporting. Time to go through and painstakingly re-install my Amazon store acquired apps.

Here's the pic I promised. I took this using ICS SS feature and then uploaded it to dropbox using the Gallery app:
Screenshot_2012-04-27-06-04-44.png

Last edited:

scottep1964

Aug 6, 2007
Wayne, NJ
GEN 2 N.J. installed with no issues.

Fonts nicer.
Camera a bit better.
App drawer tweak.
Settings page different.
No Lock Ring.
Smoother home screen.
Slight lag on app startups but seems to be getting better.

Not a drastic update but still better.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

gammaRascal

Apr 21, 2011
SoCal
Checked and mine rolled in. New England USA. Going to dl it but I'm not going to install it if I can avoid it. Still lurking threads to see how it goes for those who do.

malickie

Oct 14, 2009
Austin, TX
Got the update when I woke up this morning and installed. So far I am not seeing much difference. It feels a little smoother and it randomly vibrates for no apparent reason other than that I cannot see much difference in the controls and abilities as far as on the surface. Not sure exactly what new features it added minus a new look on the lock button on the lock screen and the native folder support which is a def. bonus.

brutalpanda

Jun 6, 2011
www.reeladvice.net
I just can't wait, and found this update package in A500 Development forum.

http://cdn.acer.futuredial.com/Acer_A500_7.014.14_041.203.01_COM_GEN1_1333444737199_8ec8b991.zip

It is official ICS update, at least it is from Acer update server. But after update, the version become WW instead of COM

Before: Acer_A500_7.014.14_COM_GEN1
After: Acer_AV041_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1

Edit:

The file name is Acer_A500_7.014.14_041.203.01_COM_GEN1_1333444737199_8ec8b991.zip.
So, in my opinion, it is for Acer_A500_7.014.14_COM_GEN1.

Edit2:

After using this update package, the A500 system is rootable using blackthund3r's one-click root tool.
Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1520469

The 6.0 version of this rooting tool also brings Acer Ring!!!

Big thanks to blackthund3r!!!

I tried this method but unfortunately I always get a "installation aborted" error message in CQM. I'm using a rooted Acer_A500_7.014.14_COM_GEN1. Also decrypted the file. Any help?

Apr 27, 2011
Interesting note:
I had the 3.2.1 GEN2 OS level (North Carolina). Last night and this morning I checked for updates and every time it said I had the latest level.

I had read about the Iconia Tab Update Enhancement application in the google catalog and immediately like many of you thought it suspect. However I did see the same thing on the Acer Support Site. Acer Support Link Go all the way to the A500 section and you'll notice two things. First, you have to select the application tab to see the link to this file and, you'll notice there is another link in the upper right hand corner that says "Hot!!! New Acer Updater v1.02.3502 ." And this file is an .exe and not an .apk.

Anyway...I changed the tablet profile to accept and install APKs that do not come from the Google Market and installed the APK from the support site. Installing it asks for pretty much all the permissions to the tablet so I went ahead anyway. (I can always uninstall it, right? ;) ) As soon as I installed it, I got a notice that a GEN2 update was available and a pretty large one at that. So, did this installed file help get the update? It seems likely.

As for the .exe file, I tried to install it on my computer and it said it wasn't an Acer device. I wonder if you have the Iconia tethered to the computer through USB, will the application install then? I'm not in a position to try that now, but someone else can if they wish.

F2504x4

Jan 18, 2008
GEN 2 N.J. installed with no issues.

Fonts nicer.
Camera a bit better.
App drawer tweak.
Settings page different.
No Lock Ring.
Smoother home screen.
Slight lag on app startups but seems to be getting better.

Not a drastic update but still better.

I got my update this morning in Ohio Gen 2 ,
Agreed, the update is a good improvement overall...

anon2k2

Feb 3, 2011
GEN2 updated this morning, Washington State. No major issues so far. Accelerometer works fine.

ctiger

Oct 22, 2008
HC 3.2.1 Gen2 OEM, check update in the morning, got the update. At least the google map isn't crashing on me as often as before.

blackssr

Jul 27, 2011
Bluetooth out of sync

Updated this afternoon. 1 PM EST. Gen 2.

All went well, but now Bluetooth is about 1-2 seconds out of sync when playing videos. :-(. This was never an issue before ICS. Anyone else notice a sync issue after upgrading.

snailium

Mar 9, 2011
Ottawa
I tried this method but unfortunately I always get a "installation aborted" error message in CQM. I'm using a rooted Acer_A500_7.014.14_COM_GEN1. Also decrypted the file. Any help?

Did you modify/delete/replace any file under /system/app? If so, you have to restore them to stock version. The system checks file signature before updating.

You can also found the error log under /cache. I forgot the exact location, try find it there.

masands

Apr 15, 2010
There is no "Force GPU Rendering" option in Settings. Makes me sad because most of the apps don't have it enabled. Apart from that, everything is super smooth.

spyd77

Apr 30, 2007
Sabadell, Barcelona
Try this:

Look for the update app in the list of apps running and click on that app instead of going through the manual check.

There's no update app running; it can't be run from the market listing, and the only option is to force-close it from "running services". I tried all plus restarting the tablet and still the same message:
"No hay actualizaciones. Su dispositivo está actualizado".
Message translation: "F$@k you".

Thank you anyway :)

Edit:

I also manually installed the APK on Acer's website, but no update still.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Serious problems with ICS

My Gen1 is now updated in Spain. Be careful! I'm having serious problems with continuous reboot of the Iconia. I've detected the same case in another spanish user, with wifi disabled the iconia works fine, once enabled it starts to reboot like a batch process.

Sorry for my english
    Is this relevant to the A501? I have that and it says my device is up to date.
    GEN 2. Downloading it now.
    N.J.