Lost in the myriad of rooting options

Search This thread

wolvers69

Dec 5, 2007
I've finally lost patience with my TF101 boot looping and being flat when I come to use it. :mad: Asus clearly aren't in a rush to fix it, and I can't find an alternative tablet that I'm happy to replace it with right now, so I've decided to give guevor's version a go. :cool:

The problem being that I've read a load of threads on rooting a TF, but still haven't come to a conclusion on which method actually works for a WW one on 9.2.1.17, if there even is one!

So any chance some one could help me out and point me in the right direction? Thanks :)

wolvers69

Dec 5, 2007
Just wanna check my list with you experienced guys before getting stuck in, mostly because it's been a while since I did anything like this and I can't find a thorough guide for the whole process.

1. Root with vipermod.
2. Install ROM manager from the market and use to flash CWM recovery.
3. Boot into CWM recovery and make backup.
4. Copy kernel .zip file to storage of the TF.
5. Boot into CWM recovery and select install .zip option.
6. Enjoy new kernel and hope for no more bootloop/flat battery scenarios making me angry? :)

horndroid

Jan 30, 2012
San Francisco
Correct, except you shouldn't use apps like Rom Manager to do things that you can easily do yourself. Don't blindly flash whatever Rom Manager tells you to because sometimes it will screw up your tablet. Haven't you read all these threads about people having problems because of ROM manager?

Just use the recovery installer apk by Gnufabio. It will flash a slightly outdated CWM but it works without problems and you can update it yourself by downloading and flashing a newer CWM posted on this forum.

madhatter79

Oct 25, 2011
St. Louis
I can confirm viper for root, and gnufabio recovery installer.apk. I just went through the process last night. If you do not use gnufabio you will spend hours trying to get cwm on your device, and failing.(2 hours of dead androids in recovery) wish i had seen gnufabio sooner.

Edit: also theres a remixed viper out there supposed to be a 1 click root
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1534475 is the link
Also i suggest the touch cwm from
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1213723
It works very well and all touch so no need to press physical buttons.

Last edited:
Reactions: wolvers69

wolvers69

Dec 5, 2007
Thanks for the input guys, it's very much appreciated. :)

I haven't seen the threads on problems with ROM manager. I've just been searching for specific terms and TBH I find this forum generally difficult to find up to date information. It's very time consuming searching and reading lots of nothing posts. The TF info threads have a lot of links to outdated guides (or ones that lack detail as they assume you know everything already :rolleyes:) and a lot of the shortened terminology that's used is confusing unless you visit here. I've read as much as I can, but I wanted to be sure I had the right information before trying out something that could render my tablet useless. :eek:

wolvers69

Dec 5, 2007
Typical, fallen at the first hurdle!

"hold volume down and power for 3 seconds, let go of power only, then press volume up when prompted on screen" just results in a screen with an Android with a red triangle on his chest. :( More extensive searching needed I suppose.

madhatter79

Oct 25, 2011
St. Louis
no problem bro thats what we are here for to help you catch those moments when your about to bash your head against the wall and say "oh hey didnt you see this..." and make you slap your forehead instead.

wolvers69

Dec 5, 2007
Finally got around to doing this. All OK so far, got it rooted and touch CWM installed but I'm a bit unsure about what caches and stuff I should wipe. Do I need to do both wipe data/factory reset AND/OR wipe cache partition in the touch CWM recovery before flashing the new kernel?

pkfox

Jan 26, 2012
London
Finally got around to doing this. All OK so far, got it rooted and touch CWM installed but I'm a bit unsure about what caches and stuff I should wipe. Do I need to do both wipe data/factory reset AND/OR wipe cache partition in the touch CWM recovery before flashing the new kernel?
I ALWAYS do a full wipe, dalvik cache the lot when flashing a different ROM, if you're just flashing a new kernel no need for wipe data just dalvik cache

wolvers69

Dec 5, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I found some posts last night where peeps were not wiping anything so I just flashed the 16b test kernel. Seems to be all OK so far.

fwbflash

Mar 7, 2012
I have the same issue...no recovery. Ive downloaded the gnufabio recovery file from the link, however i was expecting an .apk file that could be installed from the tablet OS desktop maybe usinf File Mgr. What the link downloads is a .zip w/ some folders and asstd files. Everyone is referring to it as an apk...Im confused.

baseballfanz

Oct 19, 2010
Sugar Land TX
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
I have the same issue...no recovery. Ive downloaded the gnufabio recovery file from the link, however i was expecting an .apk file that could be installed from the tablet OS desktop maybe usinf File Mgr. What the link downloads is a .zip w/ some folders and asstd files. Everyone is referring to it as an apk...Im confused.

It should be an apk. Did you use the link in his thread?
I have links to the apk in post 218 also including a modified version that will flash Team Rouge recovery.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22359727&postcount=218

Last edited:
Reactions: fwbflash

fwbflash

Mar 7, 2012
Thank you very much for those links...yes, those were apks. I have been looking for those links for sometime.

fwbflash

Mar 7, 2012
flashed the RecoveryInstaller.apk, giving me a recovery system to work from, now Im restored, rooted, ROMd and OC'd...thanks for the links!!

wolvers69

Dec 5, 2007
Since rooting mine, flashing the 16b kernel and OCing to 1600mhz it's been completely stable and fast. I just hope that continues!

Thanks everyone for your kindly assistance.:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Use Vipermod to root. Search the forum for link.
    Correct, except you shouldn't use apps like Rom Manager to do things that you can easily do yourself. Don't blindly flash whatever Rom Manager tells you to because sometimes it will screw up your tablet. Haven't you read all these threads about people having problems because of ROM manager?

Just use the recovery installer apk by Gnufabio. It will flash a slightly outdated CWM but it works without problems and you can update it yourself by downloading and flashing a newer CWM posted on this forum.
    I can confirm viper for root, and gnufabio recovery installer.apk. I just went through the process last night. If you do not use gnufabio you will spend hours trying to get cwm on your device, and failing.(2 hours of dead androids in recovery) wish i had seen gnufabio sooner.

Edit: also theres a remixed viper out there supposed to be a 1 click root
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1534475 is the link
    Also i suggest the touch cwm from
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1213723
    It works very well and all touch so no need to press physical buttons.
    lol nope this is my problem i told you about in earlier post
    get the recoveryinstall.apk by gnufabio install it on your tf and run it. it installs a working cwm then you can do the touch cwm,kernel rom etc after that

gnufabio installer link
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1346180
    no problem bro thats what we are here for to help you catch those moments when your about to bash your head against the wall and say "oh hey didnt you see this..." and make you slap your forehead instead.