[KERNEL] Basic with a Twist SGS4G KJ6 1.1.3

Search This thread

adobrakic

Aug 7, 2008
Sorry lol, been studying all day and my brain's fried. Figured I'd take the lazy way out. Just so happened to be answered on the 4th line of the very first post lol -_- facepalm. Just ignore me.

mzangui

Jun 15, 2011
Gainesville
snap20120426_230339.png

snap20120426_230326.png

Valhalla Black FB Edition with this Kernel, light usage

Last edited:
Reactions: sunsurfer42

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
OK, I need another vote :)

I have implemented OC/UV. Running it on my phone, seems to work fine. Now I use SetCPU (free xda edition ), Tergak is uninstalled although it can still be used if desired with its own module. But SetCPU feels nicer.

At the moment I use two overclocking frequencies, 1.2GHz and 1.3GHz. Not sure if I want to go to 1.4GHz, but I can... if pushed hard enough ;)

The vote is about default voltages. I need to set them not too low and not too high, someplace reasonably safe so nobody's phone starts crashing. SetCPU will allow undervolting with sliders going down to -mV, but not up, so it's better to have staring voltages higher than too low right away.

I picked some more or less common numbers from the web, but some people set them quite differently (some lower, some higher), so I'm not sure. Hence the vote.

The voltage table is like this:
Freq (MHz) - Voltage (mV)
1300 - 1375
1200 - 1325
1000 - 1250
800 - 1200
400 - 1050
200 - 950
100 - 950

Give me better numbers if you can. I also remember there was a thread with safe voltages, if somebody finds it post a link.

QUIETLYloud

Jun 25, 2011
Holyoke
I've been using your kernel since the first beta without issue, very nice...

Back to the topic at hand, is this vote for the value of OC/UV or if it should be incorporated? If the latter, I'd discourage it. I'm not a developer, nor do I pretend to be, but I've been following this forum since dsexton was helping us to get oc values that were stable and, as with most things, there was no one size fits all.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
Back to the topic at hand, is this vote for the value of OC/UV or if it should be incorporated? If the latter, I'd discourage it. I'm not a developer, nor do I pretend to be, but I've been following this forum since dsexton was helping us to get oc values that were stable and, as with most things, there was no one size fits all

I need voltages. OC doesn't have to be used, you actually have to enable it, and you can enable only up to frequency you want. You also don't have to use UV. Basically I'm looking for a very safe starting point.

QUIETLYloud

Jun 25, 2011
Holyoke
Edit:
frequency-core voltage-internal voltage
1256-1228-1095
800-1040-1035
400-955-960
200-835-950
100-825-930

Using Tegrak

Last edited:

95Z28

Apr 29, 2011
I would vote for leaving stock voltages as is. I'm running the same OC/UV profile (1.2) I've been using for months now via tegrak, but I prefer to apply my own settings from stock.

Last edited:

htaak

Aug 2, 2011
Ore Chasm - Pandora
Google Pixel 6
I am not a fan of overclocking, except where it is absolutely necessary - example - I got a deadline in 3 hours & my workstation tells me it's going to take 4 hours to complete a render....in that case I have no issue jacking up the CPU frequency to reduce that time and make the deadline.

I would use a kernel that came mildly undervolted (Bali3.3UV was great) but would definitely shy away from anything that had preset OC values. I've had 3 SGS4G's and they have all been significantly different and particular when it comes to screwing with stock voltages. I am currently running stock voltages while testing these new kernels, but when things settle down I'll likely return to Tegrak & Dsex's UV settings which have been great for me in the past. Adding OC at this point could potentially end up being another source of freezes and reboots for a kernel that's still in development - maybe release it to only those people that have had previous success with OC on their phone until they can confirm that gives expected results?

If the Kernel OC deal is something that has to be "turned on" for it to work and still defaults to stock values otherwise then I guess I wouldn't have an issue trying it. :)

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
Here is the deal. The standard Samsung voltages are different for regular Galaxy S and our phone, Samsung want to run Galaxy S cooler, no idea why. Common internet knowledge has OC/UV settings only for I9000 but nothing for ours. This means that we have to improvise. Below are the comparison tables between the two phones from standard Samsung kernel, as you can see they are quite different.
I have decided to set the voltages slightly undervolted to (VibrantPlus - 0.25mV), unless somebody convinces me to set them even lower to I9000 defaults. I'll set the overclocking voltages safe too, which means higher than our phone can potentially be comfortable with. You'll need to UV yourself if desired.

Samsung default voltages for T959V (VibrantPlus SGS4G)

Freq / arm_volt / int_vold
1000 1325000 1100000
800 1250000 1100000
400 1100000 1100000
200 1000000 1100000
100 1000000 1000000

Samsung default voltages for I9000 (Galaxy S)

Freq (MHz) / arm_volt / int_vold
1000 1275000 1100000
800 1200000 1100000
400 1050000 1100000
200 950000 1100000
100 950000 1000000

Btw I enabled 1.4 GHz frequency, what the heck...

Reactions: Jerry D

AntonX

Nov 9, 2006
Posted 1.0b4 with native OC/UV.

You don't have to use it, or you can still use Tergak. If not enabled there should be no changes to the phone (if you find any let me know!) If you want to use it, get SetCPU (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=505419)

You cannot use both Tegrak and SetCPU, they will fight with each other. Uninstall Tegrak if you want to use native kernel overclocking.

I'm running 1.4 Ghz right now and it seems fine, but probably wouldn't recommend it to everybody, it just sounds too high for our CPU.

I implemented smooth ramping up for frequencies higher than 1.0 Ghz. The frequency will not jump immediately to the highest available. This should help to save some battery.

The kernel is slightly undervolted to -0.25mV. The table is like this:

1.4 Ghz -- 1400 mV
1.3 Ghz -- 1375 mV
1.2 Ghz -- 1325 mV
1.0 Ghz -- 1300 mV
800 Mhz -- 1225 mV
400 Mhz -- 1075 mV
200 Mhz -- 1000 mV
100 Mhz -- 975 mV​

This is quite higher that numbers posted on this forum, but tha'ts what default Samsung voltages are. You can UV it yourself with SetCPU easily.

Let me know ASAP if you find any problems!

EDIT: Forgot to update kernel version number so it reads 1.0b3 in the settings. Don't have time to tinker with it today anymore, so just ignore it.

EDIT2: Updated version info and re-uploaded. Noting else changed.

Last edited:

nazcalito

May 4, 2011
San Francisco
is there any advantage to using your built-in OC instead of tegrak's?

BTW the phone works fine at 1.4 with your kernels and doesn't even seem to get warm.

Oh -- here's some feedback on your kernel and tegrak. Although your kernel lets me set values for 1400, 1300, 1200, and 1100 mhz in addition to the standard frequencies and whatever faster frequency tegrak has set up, it seems that the phone doesn't go over 1000mhz whatever you've told tegrak to do. At least on my phone

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Basic with a Twist SGS4G KJ6 Kernel

BML, don't flash if you have partitions converted to MTD.

Use at your own risk, I take no responsibility for anything that may happen to your phone because of this kernel.

This kernel is for those who don't want to be on the very cutting edge (CM7) but rather want stability without sacrificing too many recent features. It is based mostly on Bryan's 0.0.2d commit that supposedly never had problems with silent reboots. I made some changes to the config to bring it even more to the standard Samsung VibrantPlus in terms of hardware settings, but at the same time to optimize it for speed. I will add only tried and true features to this kernel, the ones that other kernel developers have used successfully.

Special thanks to bhundven (Bryan), FBis251, TeamAcid.

Features
    • initramfs from TeamAcid, including CWM5, SuperSU, forced ext4, etc.
    • Usual CIFS, TUN. I didn't include FUSE, if anybody needs it let me know.
    • BLN. Use BLN Control app from market to activate.
    • Voodoo Sound so paid app is not needed. Voodoo Sound app from market is required. Once installed, enable Smart Amplifier, it's the best thing you can do to improve music listening experience with our phone.
    • jhash3 for faster hash calculations. Used widely across the kernel, especially in networking.
    • OC/UV support with extended frequency table. Added 600Mhz, 900Mhz, 1.1Ghz, 1.2 Ghz, 1.3 Ghz, 1.4 Ghz. Use SetCPU or Xan's Voltage Control to enable and control frequency and voltages. Tegrak can be used only with no-OC/UV version.
    • ondemandX and smartassV2 governors. One of these should probably be preferred over stock ondemand. Change with SetCPU or similar.
    • TinyRCU. More lightweight version, it fits better our single CPU system.
    • Swap support, although I don't recommend using it.
    • SIO and BFQ I/O schedulers in addition to noop, deadline, and cfq that we already have.

Install
    Flash with CWM or SGS Kernel Flasher. ODIN version is available only for OC/UV kernel.

Download
    CWM:
    v1.1.3
    v1.1.3 (no OC/UV)
    v1.1.2
    v1.1.2 (no OC/UV)
    ODIN:
    v1.1.3
    v1.1.2

Notes
    * OC/UV version is very conservatively undervolted to -25mV. The preset voltages are still higher than on regular I9000, which has the same CPU. I'm running additional -50mV (total -75mV) for all frequencies without issues, but you may have them, every CPU is different!
    * It is recommended to create a CWM recovery file before modifying voltages. This option is available in both SetCPU and VoltageControl.
    * OC-ing to 1.4 Ghz is not recommended, especially for extended periods of time.
    * Voodoo ext4 conversion, or "lagfix", is enabled and forced by default. There is not way and no need to go back to RFS.

Source
    www.github.com/AntonX

Changelog

CWM 5.0.2.8 (blue) in initramfs
    Disabled a little more of Samsung debugging

Minor changes to initramfs voodoo extension scripts
    More neutral boot logo

Initramfs script will not force su update
    Couple of small changes

1.1rc2
    Few small changes

1.1rc1
    Added BFQ and SIO I/O schedulers
    Switched to TinyRCU
    Added Swap support
    Small change to Vibetonz

1.0b5
    Some changes to OC/UV
    Better BLN fix
    Increased write timeout for bad SDHC cards
    Added ondemandX and smartassV2 governors
    Renamed the title, it's becoming less and less Basic...

1.0b4
    Added native OC/UV support

1.0b3
    Minor BLN changes
    Replaced jhash.h with jhash3 code
    Updated initramfs with SuperSU 0.88

1.0b2
    Added BLN, first attempt

1.0b1
    Original release
    what are the best setting to get the most battery life??

Turn it off.
    I've decided to keep BLN. I looked at the code, didn't find anything that could cause troubles if BLN if not used. Found the issue with "I2C write error", there were attempted writes to unpowered controller, so I fixed it. Removed some unnecessary debug tracings too.

Updated jhash to faster jhash3, there can be slight performance boost for data, but probably not easily noticeable.

Updated initramfs to latest SuperSU. Couldn't figure out how to easily update busybox to 1.20 (it needs to have bunch of links created), any help?

OP updated to 1.0b3.

Will try to post code on github today.

EDIT: Added source code link to OP. Unfortunately because I used a little unorthodox method of getting the old Bryan's commit, I cannot easily and safely attach my modified code to it anymore. So the kernel code it posted as a new repo. If somebody needs to know exactly what's changed, let me know and I'll point to correct files. I was able to fork from the initramfs repo though, there were not too many of my changes.
    Updated OP to version 1.1 rc1 with few more featured for completeness.

Added two I/O schedulers, SIO and BFQ. You don't have to use them, especially if you don't exactly know what they are.

Added native swap support (somebody asked), but I don't recommend ever using it. They system will become too unresponsive with it. Native swap doesn't go well with Android memory management, it doesn't work well with slow flash drives, plus you trash your SD card a lot sooner.

Switched config to smaller faster TinyRCU, seems to be a logical change for one CPU systems.

Things that didn't make to the kernel:
    Tiny Preempt RCU - it will not make the phone any faster, and it seems that some kernel devs have problems with it.
    zRam (compcache) - I actually added it, it kind of worked, but was sometimes crashing the phone during initialization. It's probably not a good thing to have on our phone anyway. So I took it away.

Unless somebody comes with an idea what else to add to the kernel, I'm going to freeze the changes, wait few days for bug reports, and name it a release.
    Updated OP to 1.1.0. Didn't see anything wrong with it over last few days, so let's call it a stable release and go from here.

Small change to VoodooSound to remove ADC oversampling when doing VOIP and recognition. Probably really unnecessary, just a little paranoia.

Looked at Vibetonz again, but didn't find anything wrong. Looks like MIUI knows about it, tries to use it, but does it incorrectly.

Removed forced superuser update.

If you used a OC/UV version prior to a test release that introduced extra frequencies (600, 900, 1100), review and update your voltage table!