[Q] Aw Carp, someone else needs help!

Search This thread

Zimmle

Dec 24, 2010
Sorry, I know there's a million threads on xda for people requesting help so I hope someone can help me.

I don't know why but my phone won't mount it's storage. When I try to flash a .zip through CWM, the phone just states it can't mount /sdcard/. When I power the phone on, and I plug it into my PC, the PC says it doesn't recognize the device. Trying to boot the phone into RSD mode makes it semi-recognizable, but is only recognized as a composite device, and I am nervous about flashing back to stock. I haven't tried fastboot and the only time I mess with it is to unlock my photon again.

If anyone has some sage advice, I would be more than grateful for it. Thank you!

tony442

Mar 9, 2011
What rom are you running? and were you able to mount before a possible flash or update? need more info first before assistance can be given

Reactions: Zimmle

Zimmle

Dec 24, 2010
Oh sorry, I forgot! I'm Running MIUI build MIUI.us_sunfire_v4_2.3.30. and I was able to mount without any incident at all. In fact, I didn't even notice it until just recently, because post-flash of MIUI I was still able to use my usb storage without a hitch. And I was able to flash before.

tony442

Mar 9, 2011
ok so are you referring to the internal sd/external/both? if external try testing the card in a stand alone reader to see if it could possibly be corrupt

Reactions: Zimmle

Zimmle

Dec 24, 2010
The SD card is definitely okay, and I experience the issue with the SD card in the phone and out. In fact, I don't usually have one in my Photon because of the internal storage.

tony442

Mar 9, 2011
so external sd then? are you able to see the internal sd? if so try flashing a nandroid back up through the internal and see if you regain connectivity

Zimmle

Dec 24, 2010
Hey, I hadn't, unfortunately, had more time to troubleshoot my phone. But I basically was unable to restore from a backup because it was saying /sdcard directory does not exist. I was, strangely enough, able to reinstall the drivers from my PC and RSD back to stock 198_6. However, I still get an error message that my device has malfunctioned when I plug into PC, and just to test, trying to do an "apply update.zip via sd card" in the stock recovery 3e just gives me the same message.../sdcard directory does not exist.

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
Hey, I hadn't, unfortunately, had more time to troubleshoot my phone. But I basically was unable to restore from a backup because it was saying /sdcard directory does not exist. I was, strangely enough, able to reinstall the drivers from my PC and RSD back to stock 198_6. However, I still get an error message that my device has malfunctioned when I plug into PC, and just to test, trying to do an "apply update.zip via sd card" in the stock recovery 3e just gives me the same message.../sdcard directory does not exist.

Sorry if this is too obvious a question but does the /sdcard directory exist? Can you navigate to it with a file explorer and open it? Does it look like the structure is intact?

Zimmle

Dec 24, 2010
Sorry if this is too obvious a question but does the /sdcard directory exist? Can you navigate to it with a file explorer and open it? Does it look like the structure is intact?

Ah, as strangely enough, I can. I can even navigate to /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/sdcard-ext. So there's a /sdcard directory and the previous two. in the /mnt directory there are /usbdisk1.0-7 files as well. Not sure if that helps, though...

Zimmle

Dec 24, 2010
Woo! Information bump! So I've been fiddling with my photon and from what I can tell, I get the same issue on 3 PCs(2 at home and 1 at work) where windows states the device has malfunctioned. I don't think it's a driver issue because it's happened multiple times on different PCs, and I know one of them definitely works.. I can definitely navigate to the /sdcard but my PC and phone recovery won't find it. Is there a way I can force the phone to mount it via fastboot? I will literally do ANYTHING to get my phone's internal storage to be read and any help would be mega appreciated!

hellot1M

Jul 15, 2010
Weren't people having issues when downgrading from a 198_7 base rom to stock 198_6. You have done a lot of fiddling around that you may have done something by accident and not have even noticed. Btw I believe anything ics based has to have 198_7 as the phones primary. Could be wrong.

That could have been the start of your problem from the beginning

rexxxgg

Feb 26, 2012
just want to throw in my two cents. when I was haveing a problem with usb I couldnt mount it in cwm. Once i switched to twrp recovery i was able to mount just fine.

Zimmle

Dec 24, 2010
To everyone in this thread, THANK YOU! You guys are what make the xda community awesome. And apparently, I got it all figured out. Not sure what I did, but now the computer is recognizing the phone and so are all my other computers.

Still eternally grateful, though, to everyone in this thread.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What rom are you running? and were you able to mount before a possible flash or update? need more info first before assistance can be given
    ok so are you referring to the internal sd/external/both? if external try testing the card in a stand alone reader to see if it could possibly be corrupt