[DEV] unofficial ClockworkMod Recovery 5 for Ingenic JZ4770/JZ4760 tablets

Search This thread

netnut

Aug 29, 2007
Hi Folks,
I have been poking and prodding at my T103 since the holidays and I finally have something I can share.

I was able to pull apart the boot.img (Credit to: android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Unpack%2C_Edit%2C_and_Re-Pack_Boot_Images) and added the following features:

1. Increase the loglevel to 8 to get detailed logging
2. Mount system rw
3. Include extra init file (import /system/etc/init.local.rc)
4. Run sysinit (exec /system/bin/sysinit) which parses /system/etc/sysctl.conf
5. Support for init.d scripts (/system/etc/init.d)
6. Disabled BT and 3G services for hardware that does not exist.
7. Other minor tweaks

I am attaching a zip file for flashing with the CMR that fun_ has so graciously created.

It is not signed so it cannot be flashed from stock recovery.

The alternative method is from adb:
1. Extract boot.img from zip
2. Open CMD and cd to boot.img location
2. > adb push boot.img /sdcard
3. > adb shell
4. # cat /dev/zero > /dev/mtd/mtd2
write: No space left on device [this is ok, you can ignore]
5. # flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img

I have a few bad blocks on my device so I got some ECC errors. As long as they do not fail to write, these can be ignored.

I have not included any init.d or other scripts to start with. I would like to get this out to folks for initial testing. I have flashed it at least 6 times on my own device with no issues.

Still, I highly recommend that you copy the latest stock update.zip to your SD in the event something goes sideways.

If you folks would be willing to try it out, please post your experience and feedback so I can make improvements.
I plan to add basic init.d and sysctl scripts and would like to get a consensus as to what setting to include in the package.

Enjoy,
Bryan

P.S.: I realize that this is Apr 1st but this is not a prank. I have spent a lot of time working through this and testing out the binaries. Way too much time for just a April Fools Day joke. :)

Attachments

• boot.img.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 41
Reactions: Zzz73

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
I have been poking and prodding at my T103 since the holidays and I finally have something I can share.

I was able to pull apart the boot.img (Credit to: android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Unpack%2C_Edit%2C_and_Re-Pack_Boot_Images) and added the following features:

thank you for your information.

sorry, here is not for making custom rom for specific tablet. I'm ok to post something related to my work here like as introduction to your work. but I recommend you to make your own thread for future discussion.

4. # cat /dev/zero > /dev/mtd/mtd2

actually this way is technically incorrect. (I know you referred android-dls.com. I said that article is not correct)

in general, "erase_image PARTITION_NAME" erases mtd partition correctly. "writing zero" is different to "erase" in mtd world.
but probably "erase_image" is not available on T10x ROM, so I don't say "don't do it". I just inform about it now.

enigma0456

Feb 11, 2011
Update status

Hi _Fun -

Between you and StevenJHill, you have saved my T301 from being a paper weight. I have always hoped that you would be able to develop full functionality for Clockworkmod as I have hoped that StevenJHill would push on with enhancing the rom. It seems that both of you have expanded your interests to other tablets and the T301 is pretty much where it is going to be. That isn't a bad thing because it is quite functional and I use it frequently when I want something small to carry around. Still, both of my Viewsonic G-tablets are running ICS with a touch screen enabled version of Clockwork that is quite slick. It seems that quite a lot can be done with the recovery module like selecting where backups and restores go (internal or external sd), etc. Of course there is a team (Team DRH) working on it while you are laboring alone. What I would like to know is, do you think there will be any further functionality added to the T301 version of your recovery or have you moved on to other projects? Not that I have any right to ask you to do anything but if you were to put a "last updated: date beside the various downloads, it would at least allow us a quick check to see if there is something new.

I'm hopeful that there may yet be some new magic that you will roll out for the T301 as you learn more about building recovery images. I hope you'll post something to let your fans know what you're working on even if you don't have any dates - it would be exciting to know that you've figured out another piece of the puzzle and that we might look for it in the future. Thanks for all your work!

fun_

Aug 20, 2010

well...

from the beginning, I'm busy. I'm moving around my projects from time to time. one of my projects has no update from last October. I don't think it's dead (I don't know how other people think), but I can't post any update until it's done.

naturally I don't have so much interest to other tablets that I don't have. doing something without real tablet takes a lot of time. but, as you know, I'm working for other tablets. I'm working for more than 30 tablets that I don't have. I'll continue this work even if I need to leave my Tegra2 tablet alone. (it's already alone in several months...)

I don't promise anything unless it's almost sure. I saw some troubles that someone promised something which couldn't be achieved. I have a todo list... it's "try to do" list for me. I'm not sure it can be achieved until it's done. but if I post my todo list, some people think it's promised.

development work is not a show. I'm not showman. I don't have anything to excite other people. please enjoy currently available my outputs.

----
talking about my recovery, backup/restore can be done on both internal NAND flash and external SD card. please tell me what function do you need.

thank you for your cooperation.

enigma0456

Feb 11, 2011
well...

from the beginning, I'm busy. I'm moving around my projects from time to time. one of my projects has no update from last October. I don't think it's dead (I don't know how other people think), but I can't post any update until it's done.
<snip>
I just went to your project page and downloaded the recovery for the Cruz T301. It is named "T301-recovery-signed.zip" so I have no way to know (short of installing it) if it is any different from the version I have installed (v5.5.0.2). Perhaps if you named the files with the version information, we could tell if there is anything new to be tested. I understand that this is a side project for you and that you have a lot of different parts of the project that you are working on. Still, you have given us a taste so you must not be surprised when we look for more. I wish that I could help you in this project but all I can do is test and report. Please consider my suggestion as a way to let us know if there is a new version without having to bother you all the time. Is v5.5.0.2 the latest version for the Cruz T301?
------------------------------
Well I couldn't wait so I installed it anyway to see and found that I was two versions behind. I'm not sure what changed between V5.5.0.2 and V5.5.0.4 but I guess I'll wait and see what you say when you have time.

Last edited:

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
I just went to your project page and downloaded the recovery for the Cruz T301. It is named "T301-recovery-signed.zip" so I have no way to know (short of installing it) if it is any different from the version I have installed (v5.5.0.2). Perhaps if you named the files with the version information, we could tell if there is anything new to be tested.

I understand and I also want to add version and/or date information to my files for several reasons. but everything needs time.

for now, please note build date what you installed. I always post my changes for every upload, so anyone can collect these information.
(for developers, please refer github history)

Well I couldn't wait so I installed it anyway to see and found that I was two versions behind. I'm not sure what changed between V5.5.0.2 and V5.5.0.4 but I guess I'll wait and see what you say when you have time.

I really feel sorry because some of you are waiting something for several months... and I may forget about something.

btw 5.5.0.2/5.5.0.4 is not my version. it's CWM version from original author.

thank you for your cooperation.

raich

Apr 13, 2012
usbboot on Ronzi A3

Hi all,
I saw on some posts that you were trying to use usbboot on the Ronzi A3 without success. Are you talking about the version coming from xburst-tools and running under Linux? If yes, then I have good news for you: I had a very close look into this and found the problems: missing drivers for the type of flash interface the Ronzi uses. I managed to get hold of new sources from Ingenic destined for Windows with which I was able to get the Linux version to work.
You may already have a look at gforge.ictp.it under the project xburst-tools where you should be able to find some information and a git archive of the sources. If you have problems with this (the pages were intended originally for limited distribution) then I might try to produce a tar file with everything you will need + some manual of how to use the thing. I even have a version with a comfortable Qt GUI. I am willing to give this away under the condition that someone helps in debugging, should further debugging be needed. Of course I don't take any responsibility should you brick your device using these tools
Uli

skurtov

Sep 20, 2011
Overclock?

So is there the chance that the T301 can be overclocked since the source was posted earlier?

skurtov

Sep 20, 2011
sorry, which source?

anyway, I don't have any interest to overclock, sorry...

I was mistaken it was for the newer iteration of the jZ chip. I have received an reply from an velocity micro rep,

Hi Skurtov, Yes, we are a design house of Ingenic. We can design and manufacture to your needs. Do you have the spec that you need or do you need generic one? Please let us know and we will do our best. Thanks and regards,

Kan. =============================

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
I was mistaken it was for the newer iteration of the jZ chip. I have received an reply from an velocity micro rep,

Hi Skurtov, Yes, we are a design house of Ingenic. We can design and manufacture to your needs. Do you have the spec that you need or do you need generic one? Please let us know and we will do our best. Thanks and regards,

Kan. =============================

well, thank you for your information. but I couldn't read what do you want from me/this thread.

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
I saw some posts on slatedroid that CWM can't install sjhill's custom rom correctly(got wifi issue). I think it was fixed some times ago.

can anyone confirm that problem still exist in latest CWM?

EDIT:
and please tell me status of USB storage function on JZ4760/froyo products. I'm sure it doesn't work on JZ4770/ICS products so I'll try to fix it on next.

and if you have philips's JZ4770 tablets, please give me information.

Last edited:

tatubias

Nov 25, 2011
hi guys i was wondering if someone can let me know who the wcmupdate.zip file is signed so the tablet takes it as is it valid?

im tweaking a rom, and i cant make the table load the rom unless i install first wcm first i get the e3 error.

Thank you very much.

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
please tell me status of USB storage function on JZ4760/froyo products. I'm sure it doesn't work on JZ4770/ICS products so I'll try to fix it on next.

please tell me status of "mount USB storage" function on my CWM on JZ4760 tablets. is it working?

EDIT:
I think it doesn't work on T100 series(2.2 upgraded) and T301. please confirm.

Last edited:

enigma0456

Feb 11, 2011
Cruz T301?

It looks like the T301 is in the same group on your site as the NOVO7 Basic and Paladin. I'd be happy to install and test this version on my T301 if it is the correct one for it. Presently I have 5.5.0.4 and the usb mount function does not work so it would be great if you have a fix I can use. Let me know if I should try testing this version on the T301.

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
It looks like the T301 is in the same group on your site as the NOVO7 Basic and Paladin. I'd be happy to install and test this version on my T301 if it is the correct one for it. Presently I have 5.5.0.4 and the usb mount function does not work so it would be great if you have a fix I can use. Let me know if I should try testing this version on the T301.

thank you for your report.
I'll build fixed version for T301.

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
http://files.androtab.info/ingenic/cwm/20120514/
please test.

EDIT: NOVO7 Basic and Ronzi A3 are tested and worked

"mount USB storage" issue should be fixed on T301(and hopefully on all others) too. whole SD card is exported now(it was only single parititon in 20120220 if it worked).
for all please check both internal NAND flash and external SD card can be used as like as previous. (no internal NAND flash on T100)

.android_secure on internal NAND flash can be handled now. on stock rom, internal NAND flash is used as SD card, and official apps2sd function moves apps to .android_secure on internal NAND flash instead of SD card.
with new CWM, if "backup to internal sdcard", and "restore from internal sdcard" are selected, .android_secure on internal NAND flash(it's called as "internal sdcard", and "/emmc" on CWM) is used instead of .android_secure on external SD card. it should fix some issue on apps which are moved to "SD card"(actually, internal NAND flash).
here is one restriction, if you want to backup/restore .android_secure on internal NAND flash, you need to select "backup/restore to/from internal sdcard". if you want to backup/restore .android_secure on external SD card, you need to select "backup/restore (to/from external sdcard)".

with new CWM, "wipe data/factory reset" erases .android_secure on both internal NAND flash and external SD card.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this is a work-in-progress development project for porting ClockworkMod Recovery 5 to Ingenic JZ4770/JZ4760 tablets.

this is not perfect at all. and I'm very busy. progress will be very very slow. I may not be able to answer your question/request. if you have some idea for improvement, please do it freely.

there is no support from any makers/vendors. you must agree all risks by installing non-supported files, it may brick your tablet, and you may lose official support/warranty.

* YOU MUST READ CAREFULLY POST#1, #2, AND #3!
    * DO NOT USE IF YOUR TABLET IS NOT LISTED BELOW. IT WILL BRICK YOUR TABLET!

* project page
    http://androtab.info/mips/ingenic/clockworkmod/

* supported tablets
    ainol NOVO7 Basic and Paladin
    Velocity Micro Cruz T100 series (Android 2.2 updated model and Android 2.0 PT701i model)
    Velocity Micro Cruz T301
    ronzi A3

* changelog
    refer git log

* resources
    http://developer.mips.com/android/
    https://github.com/naobsd/cm_bootable_recovery/compare/ics...ics-mips-naobsd
    https://github.com/naobsd/mips_build/compare/mips-ics-mr1...mips-ics-clockworkmod
    https://github.com/naobsd/mips_external-busybox/compare/ics...ics-mips
    * How to install ClockworkMod Recovery 5 (for ainol NOVO7 Basic/Paladin, Cruz T100 series, Cruz T301)
    1. download recovery-signed.zip for your tablet (DO NOT USE FILES FOR OTHER TABLETS!)
    2. (if you are using stock recovery)rename it to update.zip, then put it on root of SD card
    3. install update.zip from recovery

on stock recovery, update.zip will be installed automatically. on ClockworkMod Recovery, you need to select menu item manually.

* How to install ClockworkMod Recovery 5 (for ronzi A3)
    1. download recovery.zip for your tablet (DO NOT USE FILES FOR OTHER TABLETS!), then extract recovery.cpio.img from it
    2. make backup of stock recovery
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell mv /system/recovery.cpio.img /system/recovery.cpio.img.bak
    3. copy recovery.cpio.img into your tablet, then flash it
    Code:
    adb shell inand_flash_image recovery recovery.cpio.img

* How to boot recovery
    push & hold VOL+ while power on

* How to boot recovery (alternative)
    Code:
    adb reboot recovery

*How to control ClockworkMod Recovery 5
    VOL-/HOME: down, VOL+: up, POWER/MENU: select, BACK: back
    * Superuser, su, and busybox
    it can be installed from ClockworkMod Recovery 5
    - Superuser, su, and busybox for JZ4770 ICS
    - Superuser, su, and busybox for JZ4760 Froyo

* random notes
    - stock recovery
    if you installed update.zip from stock recovery, stock recovery image should be renamed as /system/recovery.cpio.img.bak. (unless you didn't remove /system/recovery.cpio.img)
    it can be flashed by "inand_flash_image" command. (use "flash_image" command for T100 series except PT701i model)

- mbr, xboot, boot, and recovery areas
    backup/restore doesn't work for mbr, xboot, boot, and recovery areas

- time for reboot/poweroff (NOVO7 Basic)
    I don't know why but reboot/poweroff take long time (as same as stock rom). you should wait 1 minute. if nothing is happened in 10 minutes, use reset hole ;)
    Hi guys I've founded the correct adb driver for gl5201 tablet:

zip attachment: see my "about me" link

1) Enable Developer Mode in the tablet
    2) Connect the tablet to PC and don't let it search drivers on windows update (it'll fail the search but don't worry)
    3) Go to the devices list and choose to update/install the correct drivers
    4) Extract the content of zip attachment on the Desktop and choose that folder for correct installation of the driver (you'll see "Android ADB Composite Interface"
    5) Replace the default adb_usb.ini in your "%USERPROFILE%\.android" folder with the one inside the .android folder in the zip attachment link
    6) The installation is now complete, now if you write "adb devices" you can see "Actions semi. device" and you can dmesg and logcat it directly from usb ;)
    CM for T-100 series boots, makes backups, can do factory resets, and can successfully restore backups. cant find any problems with it so far at all. super stoked. thank you very much @fun_!

thank you for your report!

I'll update my site asap :)