G2x Getting ICS official :D

Search This thread

redmonke255

Jan 12, 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
I know the only other phone with the same Tegra 2 chip as the G2x is the Motorola Atrix. Anybody have any idea on the possibility that if we don't get a real update, we could take the Tegra 2 drivers from that device (ICS for it is slated as Q3) and add them to our ROMs?

userno69

Dec 6, 2010
The problem is t-mobile and not lg. T-mobile has to install there own apps into the rom and do there own beta tests. That cost money which I'm betting t-mobile isn't willing to spend

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium

Was't the G2X marketed as a stock Android experience or something? So T-Mobile really wouldn't need to do much else?

Jufjufjuf

Aug 26, 2011
Was't the G2X marketed as a stock Android experience or something? So T-Mobile really wouldn't need to do much else?

As the CM team has said. The G2X is FAR from stock. My question is, with this phone released in Canada I'm wondering whether LG really needs to wait for TMobile or can just release the update to Wind for them to roll out. I don't think Wind puts anything aside from a boot animation in their phones.

psychoace

Apr 21, 2009

Considering all the bloatware that needs to be ported and beta testing time this isn't just a quick repack and done kind of thing. If it was the galaxy s in America wouldn't get updates 3-12 months after there European counterparts

Sent from my NookColor using xda premium

thendless

Oct 5, 2010
So if you have two Optimus 2X and add them together, 2X + 2X = 4X! :D Maybe that is what the LG rep meant about the 2X/G2X getting ICS :|

zoppp

Nov 17, 2011
From the post that the LG rep linked, it looks like we will be getting it.

Sent from my Handheld Portal Device

B@je

Oct 26, 2010
Toronto
They don't have any legitimate reason to deny warranty coverage.
You haven't voided your warranty because LG and WIND promoted the phone as "upgradeable" which you (and I) have done. If they don't provide warranty coverage, a small claims court judgment enforcing the warranty will fix it and you will get costs awarded for the expense of filing the claim. To avoid that, just as you said, restore it to WIND branded Android 2.2.2 and the baseband it came with. WIND blows hot smelly gas which we must protect ourselves from.

CoreMemory you are hands down one of the most helpful people on the G2x forums if not xda as a whole. You just gave me an option I never thought I had, thanks sooooo much dude or dudette. Plus if.u threaten to walk WIND usually folds my friend who.works there gave me that advice

Sent from my pig covered in baby oil

zoppp

Nov 17, 2011
You guys recommend I jump ship or wait it out? I'm on tmobile.

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
INTERESTING .....

I doubt highly that the G2X will get ICS.

But....

On the very left edge of the attached image... IN RED... What does the "ch" below the G2X refer to?

-- oh and yes, I see that it is in the April column which is HIGHLY unlikely. Probably referring to the Gingerbread "patch" and thus we see a "ch"...

(image source http://www.tmonews.com/2012/04/t-mo...-ice-cream-sandwich-upcoming-device-launches/)

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2012-04-27-at-4.15.14-PM1.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2012-04-27-at-4.15.14-PM1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 282

buru898

INTERESTING .....

I doubt highly that the G2X will get ICS.

But....

On the very left edge of the attached image... IN RED... What does the "ch" below the G2X refer to?

-- oh and yes, I see that it is in the April column which is HIGHLY unlikely. Probably referring to the Gingerbread "patch" and thus we see a "ch"...

(image source http://www.tmonews.com/2012/04/t-mo...-ice-cream-sandwich-upcoming-device-launches/)

Sandwich also ends with "ch."

:p.

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6
Sandwich also ends with "ch."

:p.

Thus why I found it interesting...

However, with an gingerbread patch rolling out, doncha think it would be a bit late for an April ICS for the g2x? just sayin' ... which is why I am convinced that the much vaunted "update in q2" that LG was referring to was this 2.3.4 patch... and that's probably what it's being called on that timeline.

zoppp

Nov 17, 2011
Okay, so let's say that the O2x does get ICS. What we are missing are the drivers. So how does the process of ripping the drivers work, are the drivers built into the ROM? I know the g2x and the O2x have different partitions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, so let's say that the O2x does get ICS. What we are missing are the drivers. So how does the process of ripping the drivers work, are the drivers built into the ROM? I know the g2x and the O2x have different partitions.

Actually, the partitions are the easy part of porting. The radio is the biggest challenge. I don't think anyone has ever managed to port any stock Froyo or Gingerbread O2X or G2X ROM between platforms without full source and actually be able to make phone calls. The radio is too different and is hardwired into the ROM.

That means that barring unforeseen changes, even an official O2X ICS version is not likely to be able to be ported directly to the G2X.

However, in CM9, the radio is not the problem on the G2X, which is good news. That means if an official O2X release provides the bits needed outside of the radio, we still get an improved G2X experience. But it will have to be CM9, no stock-based ports.
    Wind is never going to release anything.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    It has to be name of a dessert/candy starting with letter K as android names go by alphabetical order.

I like your pick though :D

That will be for sure Key Lime Pie ....uhmmm....keyyy limeee pieee :p :good: