How to"re root" a500 after receiving ics ota from Acer

Search This thread

Kinz1980

Feb 11, 2011
Mukwonago
I did some searching and did not find a direct answer to this. Feel free to lock this thread if this has been answered.

I flashed back to my original stock ROM from when I rooted my device. I went through the series if updates, to this morning and and updated to ics. I have lost root access. So the question is.... Is there a way to root my device on ics without downgrading. I got to have my AD free and battery saving app:rolleyes:
Sent from my ADR6350 using xda premium

Reactions: MDCore

Kinz1980

Feb 11, 2011
Mukwonago
I saw this earlier. I guess the leak could be what I have? I will have to check the firmware and compare it to what is listed. Thanks btw:) I will try this later tonight and update if this worked.

joucca

Mar 27, 2011
I have same situation. I had rooted HC 3.2.1. Yesterday I made the update to stock ICS. I have to say that I am not happy with this new rom. It is not so smooth and fast that I expected. I am intrested to install some nice and fast custom rom. How to do it? What is need to be done to root and install the ClockworkMod??????

Kinz1980

Feb 11, 2011
Mukwonago
I used the method as above, coming from the stock ota. And it worked I was able to use the battery saver and TB. I don't have a custom recovery, in order to do a back up for the time being but that is okay for now.

Edit: I see there is a bunch more threads started with this same topic so feel free to shut this down.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused:

Last edited:

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
Hey did you unroot before installing the OTA ICS update? Also, what about recovery?

mpkrcl

Feb 28, 2010
Acer_A500_041.205.01_COM_GEN2

Just to clarify, the root method for the ICS leak works on the US ICS OTA? (Acer_A500_041.205.01_COM_GEN2)

I just want to make sure, as I am being offered the OTA update from stock rooted Acer_A500_7.014.02_COM_GEN2. I want to make sure I can re-root if I do the update. Otherwise, I'll just wait for a CWM-flashable rooted version. Or has someone already posted that that I've missed?

Kinz1980

Feb 11, 2011
Mukwonago
Yes I was rooted. Then went back to my original stock ROM and stock recovery then went through all the updates. I updated this morning to the stock ics from Acer. Then used the thread above to root again. However I do not have a custom recovery at the moment but root access apps are working just fine. Which is all I need for now.(I live in southern Michigan)

mpkrcl

Feb 28, 2010
thanks. A question about your custom recovery...Does Acer Recovery Installer no longer work to install CWM again? Or have you just not attempted to re-install CWM?

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
Yes I was rooted. Then went back to my original stock ROM and stock recovery then went through all the updates. I updated this morning to the stock ics from Acer. Then used the thread above to root again. However I do not have a custom recovery at the moment but root access apps are working just fine. Which is all I need for now.(I live in southern Michigan)

okay cool thanks. What did you use to unroot? For flashing back to stock recovery I will use "Acer Recovery Installer".

I tried using iconiaroot which I used to root but it still won't unroot my tablet. I even tried restarting and still nothing.

Last edited:

Kinz1980

Feb 11, 2011
Mukwonago
I lost root when doing the updates to clarify. And no I do not have a recovery at the moment, which I don't need because I am running ics with rooted apps that is all I need. I have no reason to flash a custom ROM. I will let the developers work with this for a bit and I will probably check it or later:p

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
I lost root when doing the updates to clarify. And no I do not have a recovery at the moment, which I don't need because I am running ics with rooted apps that is all I need. I have no reason to flash a custom ROM. I will let the developers work with this for a bit and I will probably check it or later:p

Okay great thanks. Glad to know it still worked, flashing the ota update with still having root. Only thing that worries me is I flashed back to stock recovery using that program an went I booted to recovery, it was exclamation point inside a triangle. Hope that doesn't affect my update process.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

gammaRascal

Apr 21, 2011
SoCal
I hope a root option comes out that doesn't require a ROM like gingerbreak. Maybe it's not possible for ICS or there aren't any developers interested in working on it, I don't know, but I'll wait.

Kinz1980

Feb 11, 2011
Mukwonago
It shouldn't your stock recovery is different then a custom recovery ie cwm. You will have to find another thread or something to flash a custom recovery. If your wanting to have a custom ROM. I have no need for it. So to put this into a nut shell.

Flash back to stock ROM (honeycomb)

Flash stock recovery.

Except the ota.

Use the link in first post to"re root"your device.

You will have a stock ROM from Acer that has root access. No recovery.

I Hope this makes it clear as mud:sly:
Hit the thanks button if any of this helped you, good day.

timboger

May 26, 2010
Ardmore, AL
It shouldn't your stock recovery is different then a custom recovery ie cwm. You will have to find another thread or something to flash a custom recovery. If your wanting to have a custom ROM. I have no need for it. So to put this into a nut shell.

Flash stock recovery.

Except the ota.

Just to let you know that you will have recovery if you follow this link.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php...ader+and+fixing+broken+recovery+in+leaked+ics

loooney2ns

Jun 2, 2010
Wouldn't Rootkeeper be able to restore root after the update? It worked when I updated my Razr to the leaked ICS.

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009

Flash stock recovery.

Except the ota.

okay. sorry for all the questions, but does it matter what version of HC I'm on? You say flash back to stock, is that just if I was running a custom rom? I can't find the sdcard I have my backups on but I'm running completely stock 3.2.1 HC. Just rooted and running CWM.

rascalsblade

Apr 15, 2012
Saskatoon
No ICS Update for me, Rooted 3.2, Need Help!

I thought having my tablet simply rooted wouldnt cause a big issue, i didnt flash it, im still running 3.2 gen 2 but no update for ics has appeared, when checking for update it says im up to date, ive checked several times, tried looking into it seeing if i had to unroot somehow which ive found no program that will unroot my tablet successfully i do not want to wipe because last time i rooted it wiped and i lost alot of important data i couldnt back up. Someone please advise me or send me the Canadian/USA Update Zip or other location for the official ics. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I did some searching and did not find a direct answer to this. Feel free to lock this thread if this has been answered.

I flashed back to my original stock ROM from when I rooted my device. I went through the series if updates, to this morning and and updated to ics. I have lost root access. So the question is.... Is there a way to root my device on ics without downgrading. I got to have my AD free and battery saving app:rolleyes:
    Worked perfectly and easily on mine. Acer_AV041_A500_1.033.00_PA_CUS1
    Sorry if this is a silly question but Im running stock ICS and I would like to root it, assuming the method posted before will work for me is there a way to unroot in case I need to?