[Q] Is there an android head unit out there?

Search This thread

Shinare

May 18, 2008
Did some googleing and didn't find much except for some maybes and some oddities that i'm not too sure about so I thought I might come to the experts. I would love to have a small 7" double din head unit in my car running gingerbread or better android on it and tether it to my phone. That way I could add pandora/youtube/siriusxm/navigation/market/fruitslice whatever...

Anyone know of anything out there?

boborone

There's a couple on the market I've seen. Many are out there as concepts. In the Barnes &Noble nook forums there is guy who did a write up on how he installed a nook in the dash of his jeep. It's a 7 inch screen and fits with a little Modding. I'm surprised you didn't find any on your search.

- this sig is just so I don't have to write 10char when on my phone -

jblade1000

Jul 19, 2009
Did some googleing and didn't find much except for some maybes and some oddities that i'm not too sure about so I thought I might come to the experts. I would love to have a small 7" double din head unit in my car running gingerbread or better android on it and tether it to my phone. That way I could add pandora/youtube/siriusxm/navigation/market/fruitslice whatever...

Anyone know of anything out there?

Dynavin

Ca-fi

Bybyte

Those are the main ones people have been "keeping an eye on" since last year.

After talking with some friends that are in to car audio, I've deemed them all to be subpar for my needs so i just got a 32gb sammy tab plus, 64gb microsd card, and a $30 dash kit that i will mod for mounting. I think the three key things that a real head unit has over mounting a tablet are: 1) easy back up camera solution 2) satellite radio 3) built in bluetooth handsfree. 1 and 3 are possible, just not the easiest, and i have no use for number 2 since i dont subscribe.

*edit* - just realized i had subscribed to the thread boborone is referencing Nook Color in Jeep Wrangler

Last edited:

TheReach

Apr 1, 2012
There is also the more mainstream AppRadio from Pioneer. Search it since I can't post links yet.

Kilj0y

Mar 29, 2012
I have been search and I have decided on mounting a tablet as well I just wish there were companies who make custom mounts to make it look OEM

Shinare

May 18, 2008

CueballUK

Apr 16, 2009
Pembroke Dock
Has anyone tried any of these or know if they would be any good hardware wise?
How about the possibility of custom roms or even rooting them?

This one seems the better choice in the fact it's a removable tablet. Not because I want a tablet but because it would be easier to bring into the house for flashing purposes. Never heard of it's CPU mind?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321013490466

This one is quite a nice looking one with non removable screen. Has a Cortex A8 which I've heard of at least :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121016519547

So what's your views and opinions?

CueballUK

Apr 16, 2009
Pembroke Dock
So no comments then? I'm really hankering for an Android unit in the car. Will beat the socks off the crappy 2din wince unit i have. The software on that is so cumbersome and doesn't match throughout the different modes.

CueballUK

Apr 16, 2009
Pembroke Dock
Ok just found this Parrot Asteroid 2DIN. Looks very good but not available yet.
http://www.slashgear.com/parrot-asteroid-in-car-nav-entertainment-systems-revealed-09207612/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3-VAfqjEw

Also after watching some video's of the unit with pad I posted previously it seems that most of the main functions are handled by an internal process in the unit (maybe wince?) which then outputs video and control via the tablet. This has kind of put me off a little bit.

So after watching some other video's of the Ca-Fi I think I am going to go with one of these. The new one is upgraded to 2.3 Android, capacitive touchscreen and a 1ghz processor. So saving my pennies now!!!!!
http://ca-fi.com/en/archives/1027

Reactions: tshoulihane

promethieus

Feb 7, 2010
Drybrook
www.fixer14.com
Okay all this talk of android double din, well I have a double din unit in my car, all self fitted, it has 2 sd slots, 1 for GPS and the other for sd card for media, but was wondering if any of these slots can be used to "install" new os onto the unit.
How does the Os get installed onto these, there must be a way.

khait

Dec 1, 2009
www.componentality.com
Ok just found this Parrot Asteroid 2DIN. Looks very good but not available yet.

Also after watching some video's of the unit with pad I posted previously it seems that most of the main functions are handled by an internal process in the unit (maybe wince?) which then outputs video and control via the tablet. This has kind of put me off a little bit.

So after watching some other video's of the Ca-Fi I think I am going to go with one of these. The new one is upgraded to 2.3 Android, capacitive touchscreen and a 1ghz processor. So saving my pennies now!!!!!

Try Componentality Celebrity, it might be what you need. Do you need 2-DIN?

JakubAnderwald

Dec 28, 2007
Warsaw
Hey guys,

There's a bunch of Android-based devices out there in the market. I'm looking for the best one that's available - are you able to recommend some unit?

I was hoping to buy the Parrot RNB6, but it seems it's an abandoned project.

kkeith

Aug 30, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Has anyone ever seen any specs on pre out voltage on any of these units? Or even better a digital out? They seem to be all about software on the specs minus the 55w x 4 channel spec, the biggest gripe I have the with main manufacturers of hu out there right now is you either get a nice ui and imo poor pre out voltage or a really terrible ui that is almost unbearable but high voltage, which in turn leads to higher volume and clearer audio. This is what I have found at my price range anyways and am not really willing to drop $2k on a head unit at this point. Anyways i am trying to look through all the links on this page but any help would be appreciated

Edit: guess it's 2/2 pages and not 22 pages haha, guess I did check them all

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

bazzle01

Oct 5, 2011
Last edited:

JakubAnderwald

Dec 28, 2007
Warsaw
I have Audi S6 C5 and just need a regular 2DIN unit - it will fit. However, the chinese stuff I'm looking at other threads in this forum seem very crappy and of low quality.

Is there something that can be really reliable, working fast and with good audio quality?

jenkinskg

May 12, 2016
headunit 4.4.4 quad core 3188

I have had mine for more than 6 months
Sound is great ram is only 1gb so app installs stop after pandora and waze, and one or 2 other items
I use a wifi hotspot, on tmobile, $10/month no limits.

pandora now works no matter who drives car, and NAV youtube etc

Not sure newer version of android would help, more ram would help more

Top Liked Posts