Nook Tablet stuck with no OS

Search This thread

AirplaneCrazy

Feb 23, 2012
SoCal
So here is my issue. Last week I formated my ROM, so for a while it was stuck in internal flashed CWM 5.5.0.4 Than I flashed some restore file which fixed that issue.

However I was dumb enough to exit the internal CWM before flashing any Andoird OS zip meaning it has no Os inside. Since restart it gave me B&N factory reset option. I did. Than it gets stuck just past account log in info. No surprise because there is nothing on the EMMC.

Now I was able to boot CWM from SD, but when I try to install any zip file it says Aborted. Also there is never enough room left on my SD after I image the CWM image file.

So here is my question one. How can I actually have enough space to copy the Stock OS zip and flash it.

Most importantly I did have internal CWM 5.5.0.4 inside. Now when I hit B&N reset I am assuming it got wiped. Is there a way to access that internal CWM if not.

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
Now I was able to boot CWM from SD, but when I try to install any zip file it says Aborted. Also there is never enough room left on my SD after I image the CWM image file.

So here is my question one. How can I actually have enough space to copy the Stock OS zip and flash it.

You can resize the partition of the SD card (after you flash CWM on it) using a partition manager, that will give you full access to all of it, or format the SD card and put these files onto an SD card.

Last edited:

AirplaneCrazy

Feb 23, 2012
SoCal
So I able to boot on sd card, but when I try to flash anything this is the message I get. So once again I am stuck at best on CWM because it's not letting me install anything.

Attachments

• IMAG0053.jpg
    IMAG0053.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 176

Cubanluke88

Nov 18, 2011
Connecticut
Those two zip files will also do nothing. The former is the zip file to root, which will do nothing if you really have no stock os installed. The latter I'm not sure about but again I don't think its something that can be flashed without an OS already installed. Try flashing cm7 or another rom.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

edit: now that I've looked at my files on my computer, the latter is not a flashable zip file for clockworkmod. Its the cwm image for burning to sd card.

You gotta do some reading man if you're going to be flashing stuff; don't just try to flash any zip file you see.

Last edited:

AirplaneCrazy

Feb 23, 2012
SoCal
Those two zip files will also do nothing. The former is the zip file to root, which will do nothing if you really have no stock os installed. The latter I'm not sure about but again I don't think its something that can be flashed without an OS already installed. Try flashing cm7 or another rom.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

edit: now that I've looked at my files on my computer, the latter is not a flashable zip file for clockworkmod. Its the cwm image for burning to sd card.

You gotta do some reading man if you're going to be flashing stuff; don't just try to flash any zip file you see.

Yes that's what I thought. Problem is after I write the Boot.rmg for SD CWM 5.5.0.4 there isn't enough space left to put the Os.zip on the SD. Tried a CWM SD I used to flash my Nook Color which does leave me enough room, but with that Nook Tablet just boots up normalls

AirplaneCrazy

Feb 23, 2012
SoCal
So I finally managed to find the right SD CWM Boot that allows me to boot in CWM and leaves me enough room to put ROM zip and what not in the card after imaging.

So I tried flashing Nook Tablet stock os and here is the message I get.

E:Eoor in/sdcard/nookcolor_1_4_1_signed.zip
(Status 0)
Installation Abroted.

As a last resort I flashed CM9 which does finish the installation, but than when I restart it shows the black B&N screen saying device must reset and I am back to square one.

So now I am good with botting inside CWM. Just need help with successfully flashing the Nook Stock zip.

By the way me personally can't stand Nook Stock OS. I use a CM7 Mirage on my Nook Color. This is for a friend who I convinced to use Cyanogenmod on his Nook Tablet. He doesn't like CM, so I am trying to get him back to his stock os.

AirplaneCrazy

Feb 23, 2012
SoCal
Tried Nook Tablet zip too with no success. The color one was just for trial.

Maybe I need just a plain all stock.zip customized for installation via CWM. Here is the message I get when I tried to flash the nook tablet update zip

Found links for Stock Nook Tablet zip, but none were downloadable.

E:Can't open /sdcard/nooktablet_1_4_2_update.zip
(bad)
Installation Aborted.

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
First of all is you friend's nook tablet 8GB or 16GB model?

Second you haven't read my FAQ, so you haven't read enough and you're confused in the way a custom rom and B&N stock update.zips are flashed.

A custom rom you can install from cwm > install .zip from sdcard or if it's a backup folder a.k.a recovery rom (as Albert call it) you can restore it from backup & restore option in cwm; but if it's a B&N stock update.zip you flash it "as is" in a different way, you have to format a sdcard with fat32 file system and set primary partition to "active" then you can flash the .zip from the sdcard. There is no need of cwm BUT there is need of stock original recovery as their update.zip requires their stock recovery to work.

Read my thread how-to restore internal partitions with 'dd' command for more information about flash stock/custom recovery and flash B&N stock update.zip for an out-of-the-box nook which means start from scratch: rooting, bla bla bla.

If you dont want to start from scratch then grab a custom stock rom from development section and flash it in cwm. Albert, cobrato and i have posted them.

Third this is not Q&A, wrong section to post. There is a sticky about it.

~ Veronica

Sent from my Nook Tablet using xda premium

Last edited:

AirplaneCrazy

Feb 23, 2012
SoCal
Well that's the problem. I flashed Nook CM7 and CM9. Than when I start it loads B&N factory reset instead. Than I flashed B&N Stock in CWM. Still when I start it shows a screen saying Nook must be reset. Than right after account log in it shows the contact customer support screen.

It's a Nook Tablet 16GB versioj

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here
Well that's the problem. I flashed Nook CM7 and CM9. Than when I start it loads B&N factory reset instead. Than I flashed B&N Stock in CWM. Still when I start it shows a screen saying Nook must be reset. Than right after account log in it shows the contact customer support screen.

It's a Nook Tablet 16GB version
okay it sounds like you have "tried" to get your NT back into happy mode... but its still a sick puppy. sometimes you have to do the fix two times in a row. . and did you do a 'wipe / reset, wipe / reset" before and after ? . . .umm, take it back to the store and tell them you gotta turkey ?

Last edited:

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011

Hmmm ok , then something got corrupted , I think I have read about other user having this same problem but I don't recall for a resolution. You will have to try restoring the partitions referred to the boot process first as I'm not sure if it's the factory partition that got corrupted.

I'll post useful links for you to read to know how to proceed later

~ Veronica

Sent from my NookTablet using xda premium

Reactions: AirplaneCrazy

AirplaneCrazy

Feb 23, 2012
SoCal
Okay so I had been messing with the Nook Tablet for months now and I haven't been able to make any progress. Basically same issue. I can flash zip through CWM, but than I get pass no where beyond register B&N page and of course the registration fails.

Can anyone help?

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Okay so I had been messing with the Nook Tablet for months now and I haven't been able to make any progress. Basically same issue. I can flash zip through CWM, but than I get pass no where beyond register B&N page and of course the registration fails.

Can anyone help?

Try the un-brick method that @soshite posted in development section. Its in page #2.

~ Veronica

Sent from my Cappy powered with Jelly Bean using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hmmm ok , then something got corrupted , I think I have read about other user having this same problem but I don't recall for a resolution. You will have to try restoring the partitions referred to the boot process first as I'm not sure if it's the factory partition that got corrupted.

I'll post useful links for you to read to know how to proceed later

~ Veronica

Sent from my NookTablet using xda premium