Lightweight apps!

Search This thread
S

stritfajt

The ROM developers for Hero are all very talented and create beautiful ROMs that are really fast. However, it doesn't really matter when the apps we install are really slow, does it?

My idea is that we create a list of lightweight apps! Apps that runs fast and doesn't use a lot of resources.

I've found Opera Mini and Zeam to be good alternatives for the Browser and launcher. Also FriendCaster seems to be quite a bit faster than the official FaceBook client.

Continue the list with various really fast apps and give me more alternatives for launcher and browser.

Looks isn't really the important part here, functionality is! :)

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
Fast for Facebook claims to be a lighter alternative to the official Facebook client. I don't use Facebook so can't confirm.

FTL Launcher is pretty light launcher. Transition speed can be set to: Instant. But I find it hard to move away from LauncherPro it also has an 'Instant' transition option.

Boat Browser Mini is another lightweight browser that is making waves.

Dialer2 is the fastest dialer I can find. Looks good with ics also.

FastContacts is a super-light contacts manager.

Maybe not the lightest RSS reader out there, but gReader always ran well on Hero. Pro version has text to speech support if you like having news read to you.

Explorer, is there a faster, lighter, file manager?

Last edited:
S

stritfajt

Great!

I'm also wondering wether there's a way to keep market from updating itself to play store? The old Market was much faster than this crap!

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
Suggestion #1: Delete /system/app/marketupdater.apk or better still, never include it.

Reactions: Nahlbee

Habarug

Feb 23, 2011
Bergen
your apps still gets updated, it only updates the market ;) I use friendcaster myself, it's lots faster than the official Facebook app, but it sucks that it can't show all posts and such because of permissions :/

I also use QuickPick instead of Galler3D/2d ;) And zeam is nice, but I usually use a heavier launcher of various reasons. Other than that I pretty much use the stock apps because I find them pretty much the most responsive, in ICS they even look good as well :p

One thing I miss is the old XDA app. They updated it not long too long ago, and it became way slower :/

sizanx

Aug 9, 2009
I also used Fast for Facebook, but I don't like it, it has a lot og bugs and doesn't look that good. However I now use Friendcaster, it's a lot faster than facebook, but has more features than Fast for Facebook :)

Last edited:

Yukikaze_nuce

Nov 19, 2011
Hanoi
+1 QuickPic :D
FriendCaster (pro =)) )
Dialer One (good with me)
MIUI music player
Mx player- good video player :D
Stock CM7 sms + stock Contact
Opera Mini is a good browser :D
All of them work really fast :))

Reactions: EAGLEBOOY

Cossin

Dec 19, 2010
Montreal
I also love the Holo launcher.. fluid, quick, not many resources.. Trying right now Holo locker for having the lockscreen looks like JBand he's very fluid also :cyclops:

craftech

Mar 21, 2012
Pretoria
Lightweight

Launcher: FTL Pro (best I've used so far)
Dialer: Dialer One
Messaging: Go SMS Pro
E-mail: K-9 Mail (k9-4.308-release.apk)
Browser: Opera Mini
* Delete/uninstall: Market Updater.apk / AdService.apk

Above all tried & tested on Samsung Galaxy S5300 (aka Pocket) - really improved speed on this low level entry phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fast for Facebook claims to be a lighter alternative to the official Facebook client. I don't use Facebook so can't confirm.

FTL Launcher is pretty light launcher. Transition speed can be set to: Instant. But I find it hard to move away from LauncherPro it also has an 'Instant' transition option.

Boat Browser Mini is another lightweight browser that is making waves.

Dialer2 is the fastest dialer I can find. Looks good with ics also.

FastContacts is a super-light contacts manager.

Maybe not the lightest RSS reader out there, but gReader always ran well on Hero. Pro version has text to speech support if you like having news read to you.

Explorer, is there a faster, lighter, file manager?
    Suggestion #1: Delete /system/app/marketupdater.apk or better still, never include it.
    +1 QuickPic :D
    FriendCaster (pro =)) )
    Dialer One (good with me)
    MIUI music player
    Mx player- good video player :D
    Stock CM7 sms + stock Contact
    Opera Mini is a good browser :D
    All of them work really fast :))
    My new favorite audio player: Rockbox for Android

Extremely fast, the best eq, but still has some bugs
    for facebook i prefer FBM.. lightweight and pretty fast...