[Q] [Help] Bricked Sprint Epic 4g!!

Search This thread

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
I tried to use Odin to flash Clockworkmod Recovery and it soft bricked, no worries dl mode worked, so I went to the rescue thread and tried to odin back. Got stuck on modem.bin, so I pulled the battery. Now it wont turn on, at all. Not with cable or battery, just blank. Help!

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
Okay, I managed to get back into download mode. Can anyone direct me to the proper odin flash? Stock is fine, stock rooted even better. I don't want to go through that again Dx Thank you

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
It's ok. We got great helpful users here that read all the forums. Post your question here and it usually will be answered quickly. Also google has lots of links to relevant XDA threads like the restore a semi-brick thread. I prefer that to the forum search most times.

Sent from my PantechP4100 using xda premium

terinfire

Feb 2, 2011
As someone else recommended to me, pull the battery from the phone and leave it out for a while. Then, hold down the 1 and power button (a little tricky) and slide in the battery. If the phone still doesn't turn on, try the procedure again.

I thought I had bricked mine and did this -- it worked after a few tries.

Also, another thought -- sometimes leaving the battery OUT of the phone for a while (like overnight) and trying it again works.

ajmacria

Mar 1, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion but I have already try that.
Actually I have been reading every possible solution during the past 2 and today I build my own USB JIG that has a 300kohm resistor between pin 4-5 and still not able to get into download mode.
Have left the battery out of the cell-phone for a complete day.
Have try keep push button 1 and power and sliding the battery in, wait for a couple of seconds, slide it out and repeat the process for a while.
Done the same using the USB :(
Running out of ideas

nikon120

Oct 3, 2010
So your initial flash of CWM via ODIN failed. You then tried to do what? Flash a complete stock .tar file via ODIN and it failed on the modem.bin process?

It kind of sounds like a few things could be the culprit.
  • Did not use the .PIT file when flashing the CWM.tar
  • Bad or cheap USB cable
  • Bad download of CWM.tar and/or whatever you flashed 2nd
  • Moving of the device while using ODIN, which could have jostled the cable

ajmacria

Mar 1, 2011
So your initial flash of CWM via ODIN failed. You then tried to do what? Flash a complete stock .tar file via ODIN and it failed on the modem.bin process?

It kind of sounds like a few things could be the culprit.
  • Did not use the .PIT file when flashing the CWM.tar
  • Bad or cheap USB cable
  • Bad download of CWM.tar and/or whatever you flashed 2nd
  • Moving of the device while using ODIN, which could have jostled the cable

Well, not sure what the problem was, I have been using ODIN since last year when I got my EPIC and I never had problems. This time ODIN hang in the middle of the factory.rfs flashing (I waited for 20 minutes and it did not went through) so I turned everything OFF and :O surprise, phone was dead :(
I try battery CPR, build my own USB JIG (that works like a charm in a couple of frined's SAMSUNG phones :)) but my phone still nothing.
The battery is at 4.045V, today I will use a charger to see if having the battery at maximum helps.
This is my last thing to try, if this do not work I will take the phone to SPRINT and see what they can do.
If they can fix it, cool, if not at least I hope they replace it :)
Thanks for the help and support

b16flybye

Sep 4, 2011
Twin Cities
If your repartition was checked flashing a modem then you bricked it. Try connecting to odin with no battery or sd card BUT have your usb connected and see if that does anything.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Reactions: ajmacria

hscrugby

Nov 14, 2011
If your repartition was checked flashing a modem then you bricked it. Try connecting to odin with no battery or sd card BUT have your usb connected and see if that does anything.

So if your phone is completely bricked, aka, ()$)(# windows update in the middle for a reboot.
The power button does nothing, can't get into download mode, no response to plugging it in with no battery etc etc.
Anything to be done with the phone besides throwing it at a wall?
:(

ajmacria

Mar 1, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have already charged my batery till 100%, in a friend's cellphone the battery works like a charm and we are able to turn on the cell and go into download mode with my JIG and everything.
My phone does not do anything :(
Probably something went really bad during the update process that harm something else.
Will have to take it to SPRINT :)
Thanks all for the help and support :)

b16flybye

Sep 4, 2011
Twin Cities
Yikes. Yeah, if your jig wont revive the phone then just get it to sprint. Don't forget to take the sd card out or they'll see your clockwork folder.

Reactions: ajmacria

ajmacria

Mar 1, 2011
Yikes. Yeah, if your jig wont revive the phone then just get it to sprint. Don't forget to take the sd card out or they'll see your clockwork folder.

Yes I already made sure I erased all unneeded stuff from my SD CARD and will keep it in my house.
Will take my cell tomorrow to SPRINT, hopefully it will get fixed/replaced fast :)

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010

I've brought my phone in on MTD. Why would they look in your SD card (personal files) or know what clockwork mod is? They also have a new policy allowing root and jailbreak.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
I've brought my phone in on MTD. Why would they look in your SD card (personal files) or know what clockwork mod is? They also have a new policy allowing root and jailbreak.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

It is still at the Tech's discretion. The last thing someone wants to do is fight corporate after a tech blacklists your phone. And most techs are sporting rooted phones and kn.ow what clockworknod is.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
Btw, I finally fixed it, and determined it was the evil stock cable. Note to self and all future odin-flashers NEVER USE THE DAMNED STOCK CABLE, I did and it took 3hrs of my life unbricking.

Top Liked Posts