Alt Mounter: Mount SD Card/Mass Storage, even on OS X

Search This thread

cyansmoker

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
The Issue

So, as you certainly noticed, ICS-toting devices such as the Galaxy Nexus do not come with the USB Mass Storage feature anymore.

On Windows, you can mount your storage using MTP (Media Storage Protocol)
On Linux and OS X, from what I've seen, there have been some attempts at building drivers for MTP but those seem to provide quite unreliable connectivity.
On Windows itself, it appears that the protocol takes quite a while to mount your device.

Google does not offer USB Mass Storage anymore in part due to the fact that you would need to unmount your whole storage from your phone to mount it on your computer.

The Solution

Alt Mounter! (I know, such an original name)

Alt Mounter is two things: 1) a small service and its widget, running on your device; 2) a helper running on your computer.

When you use Alt Mounter, mounting your storage on your computer is close to instantaneous. It works like a Dual Mount application; i.e. it does not unmount your storage from your device (it does not need to)

Platforms

Currently, the helper only exists for OS X and Windows (updated 05/06). It should not take long to port it to Linux if there is a demand.

The OS X version requires you to install OSXFUSE or any other FUSE package. It does not install these drivers itself because many MAC owners have already installed FUSE one way or another (for instance, OS X running in Parallels will not require any extra installation)

The Windows version will only work on a fairly recent version of Windows and will require you to install your device manufacturer's USB drivers. It is even more rough than the OS X version!

GET IT

Alt Mounter is currently a beta product. I use it without problem daily on my Galaxy Nexus and my CM9 Touchpad but of course your mileage may vary.

In fact, I am now aware of the following issues:

- The Android app may stop functioning after a while -- workaround: only run the app when you are using it (otherwise your icon should be gray with no shade of red)
- The Mac app seems to only work on Lion. Hopefully the latest version I uploaded fixes this pure SDK limitation.
- The helpers may be very capricious as they are so, so young.

Thank you for your patience and, more importantly, your feedback.

Get it from the Beta Page.

Last edited:

Pithism

Dec 21, 2010
Boston, MA
should i uninstall android file transfer

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

because i run the widget downloaded FUSE and altmounter on mac, and it says

"device not detected"

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

did uninstall didn't matter same results.

cyansmoker

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
should i uninstall android file transfer

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

because i run the widget downloaded FUSE and altmounter on mac, and it says

"device not detected"

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

did uninstall didn't matter same results.
I know I uninstalled android file transfer mostly because it is not a very nice application.
Try this incredibly simple thing: unplug your phone, plug it back in, see if it works now. I observed that the Helper may fail to notice a device when it is first asked to mount it.

Pithism

Dec 21, 2010
Boston, MA
ok ill give it a try

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

still not working
i tried it and it doesn't want to mount it

lordJudass

Dec 3, 2009
Corona NY
Works fine for now, I'm going to test it a bit more but so far so good, thanks for this great mod, that's what I was looking for.

-Update-

Well it was too beautiful to be true, I cannot do anything on my "Mounted device", if I try to copy something it says that i do not have the right permissions, if i try to create a new folder it says "Cannot complete operation (-43)". I tried everything, stop service restart computer, restart phone and nothing, I will keep an eye on this, because I'm very interested on this.

Last edited:

moe6

May 28, 2011
Another vote for the Windows port.

Please let me know if you need a tester as I'm running Windows 8CP and could help to make sure it works going forward from win7.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Issue

So, as you certainly noticed, ICS-toting devices such as the Galaxy Nexus do not come with the USB Mass Storage feature anymore.

On Windows, you can mount your storage using MTP (Media Storage Protocol)
    On Linux and OS X, from what I've seen, there have been some attempts at building drivers for MTP but those seem to provide quite unreliable connectivity.
    On Windows itself, it appears that the protocol takes quite a while to mount your device.

Google does not offer USB Mass Storage anymore in part due to the fact that you would need to unmount your whole storage from your phone to mount it on your computer.

The Solution

Alt Mounter! (I know, such an original name)

Alt Mounter is two things: 1) a small service and its widget, running on your device; 2) a helper running on your computer.

When you use Alt Mounter, mounting your storage on your computer is close to instantaneous. It works like a Dual Mount application; i.e. it does not unmount your storage from your device (it does not need to)

Platforms

Currently, the helper only exists for OS X and Windows (updated 05/06). It should not take long to port it to Linux if there is a demand.

The OS X version requires you to install OSXFUSE or any other FUSE package. It does not install these drivers itself because many MAC owners have already installed FUSE one way or another (for instance, OS X running in Parallels will not require any extra installation)

The Windows version will only work on a fairly recent version of Windows and will require you to install your device manufacturer's USB drivers. It is even more rough than the OS X version!

GET IT

Alt Mounter is currently a beta product. I use it without problem daily on my Galaxy Nexus and my CM9 Touchpad but of course your mileage may vary.

In fact, I am now aware of the following issues:

- The Android app may stop functioning after a while -- workaround: only run the app when you are using it (otherwise your icon should be gray with no shade of red)
    - The Mac app seems to only work on Lion. Hopefully the latest version I uploaded fixes this pure SDK limitation.
    - The helpers may be very capricious as they are so, so young.

Thank you for your patience and, more importantly, your feedback.

Get it from the Beta Page.
    Another vote for the Windows port.

Please let me know if you need a tester as I'm running Windows 8CP and could help to make sure it works going forward from win7.
    Windows Port Needed!
    +1 Windows & Portable :D
    Ubuntu

Linux port please!!!