FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Say hi to "CyanoBoot" -- a 2nd bootloader/w menu aka "ub2" - (WIP)

2,279 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,474

Post Reply Email Thread
3rd May 2012, 02:59 AM |#61  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Poltava
Thanks Meter: 1,839

More
Successful.
Now command "continue" will bring you back to menu. Emmc version for testing attached. Sources, more info, and corrected file size will be available when I get some sleep (it's 4 a.m. for me)
Attached Files
File Type: zip flashing_boot_emmc.zip - [Click for QR Code] (79.7 KB, 77 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mik_os For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mik_os Ad-Free
3rd May 2012, 05:49 AM |#62  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Talking Wanna crash your bootloader?
Yeah having it continue the boot post-fastboot is an easy fix. I didn't realize you could continue once fastboot ran. All you'd really have to do is find the menu option in.. I think it was mmc.c... and then just have it call another boot profile after it executes fastboot (or re-run the menu). If you need help with this I can show you how to do it.

Incidentally a few days ago I posted a first attempt to an update to the menu, based on refinements to cyanoboot nookcolor from tonsofquestions and then adapted to the NT. . Chrmhoffmann was supposed to take a look, but I don't think he had a chance yet. It's up on goo-inside.me if someone wants to try it. Somehow I'm guessing it will crash hard, but if someone is feeling adventurous, there's a flashing_boot.img up there which includes the source.

The big difference is basically that it will grey out menu items that don't apply (based on whether the files are available on the sdcard), but there are some other optimizations to the menu interface as well.

That plus the fastboot recover I think might warrant a new "major" release. I hesitated to post it until someone tested it-- I still dont' have a nook tablet. But since a patch to the previous source is available, if it's not working, someone might want to debug it as necessary.

There is also a discussion on the cyanboot nookcolor thread about whether a portrait or landscape configuration is more desirable. There is a horizontal version implemented, but consensus seemed to be portrait was preferred.

Anyway, the probably-will-crash experimental version, along with the source diff, is here.
3rd May 2012, 05:51 AM |#63  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik_os

Succesfull.
Now command "continue" will bring you back to menu. Emmc version for testing attached. Sources, more info, and corrected file size will be available when I get some sleep (it's 4 a.m. for me)

Hah, I guess i missed this post.

Great.. so that's done, awesome. Can you try the new menu changes? Issues that crop up should be pretty easy to fix.
3rd May 2012, 12:23 PM |#64  
Flag Poltava

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattire

Hah, I guess i missed this post.

Great.. so that's done, awesome. Can you try the new menu changes? Issues that crop up should be pretty easy to fix.

I will try new menu at weekend.

p.s. located my patch here: https://github.com/mik9/acclaim_cyan...837b4c8b027c1b.
p.p.s. attached new image.
Attached Files
File Type: zip flashing_boot_emmc.zip - [Click for QR Code] (79.7 KB, 42 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to mik_os For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mik_os Ad-Free
3rd May 2012, 01:54 PM |#65  
Recognized Developer
Flag Limassol
Thanks Meter: 9,476

Donate to Me
More
How to flash this?
dd it to mmcblk0p2 is ok?
3rd May 2012, 01:59 PM |#66  
Flag Poltava

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by demetris_I

How to flash this?

In same way as provided in first post.

Quote:

dd it to mmcblk0p2 is ok?

I did not tried but sounds too dangerous. Do not do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to mik_os For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mik_os Ad-Free
3rd May 2012, 02:22 PM |#67  
Recognized Developer
Flag Limassol

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

In same way as provided in first post.

I did not tried but sounds too dangerous. Do not do it.

Will this work?

dd if=/dev/zero of=flashing_boot_emmc.img bs=1 seek=524287 count=1

cat flashing_boot_emmc.img boot.img > new_boot.img

fastboot flash boot new_boot.img
3rd May 2012, 02:26 PM |#68  
Flag Poltava

More
Quote:

Will this work?

dd if=/dev/zero of=flashing_boot_emmc.img bs=1 seek=524287 count=1

cat flashing_boot_emmc.img boot.img > new_boot.img

fastboot flash boot new_boot.img

If you don't worry about your boot partition you can directly flash with "fastboot flash boot flashing_boot_emmc.img".
If you already have cyanoboot on boot partition this will probably work too.
If you don't have cyanobot on boot partition you need to get boot.img, shift it to 512Kb, and place on first byte content of flashing_boot_emmc.img.
3rd May 2012, 02:32 PM |#69  
Recognized Developer
Flag Limassol

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

If you don't worry about your boot partition you can directly flash with "fastboot flash boot flashing_boot_emmc.img".
If you already have cyanoboot on boot partition this will probably work too.
If you don't have cyanobot on boot partition you need to get boot.img, shift it to 512Kb, and place on first byte content of flashing_boot_emmc.img.

What do you mean if i dont worry, what is the worst thing that can happen?
I have cyanoboot already, q. can fastboot replace it self when in use like recovery?
I mean can i update fastboot from fastboot? lol
3rd May 2012, 02:38 PM |#70  
Flag Poltava

More
Quote:

What do you mean if i dont worry, what is the worst thing that can happen?
I have cyanoboot already, q. can fastboot replace it self when in use like recovery?
I mean can i update fastboot from fastboot? lol

Yes, you can. I mean that this opeartion will replace first N bytes of partition and if there was android's boot it became corrupted, but cyanoboot will work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mik_os For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mik_os Ad-Free
16th May 2012, 03:03 AM |#71  
Thanks Meter: 449

More
Triple boot on nook tablet, fun stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6syVkhPQaM
Demo of triple boot on nook tablet using fattire's cyanoboot, chrmhoffmann's CM9 and my CM7.2 RC1. Don't expect anything out of this. I am just doing it for fun. I had to edit cm9 boot.img and rom to make this work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to succulent For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift succulent Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
acclaim, bootloader, cyanoboot, locked, u-boot

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)