Xperia PLAY R800x Verizon Update Coming April 30th, 67mb

Search This thread

berserker99

Nov 3, 2007
something seems to be terribly wrong with this update...I've ftf'd and updated numerous times, and my phone never seems to synch with google...aren't the status bar and 3g icon supposed to turn green? I can't connect to gtalk also...

216Monster

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
something seems to be terribly wrong with this update...I've ftf'd and updated numerous times, and my phone never seems to synch with google...aren't the status bar and 3g icon supposed to turn green? I can't connect to gtalk also...

I had the same problems when I was using this, ftf'ed back down, updated again still nothing. Did a factory reset in settings and recovery while on still nothing. I'm sticking with CM9

Sent from my R800x

FH-CS

Jan 6, 2009
Tampa
Dora anybody else gave an issue with g talk saying it can't connect? (cleared data/rebooted, nothing)

I am having the same issues as well. I've noticed that the Wi-Fi/3G icons no longer turn green for me either - which, from what I've read, means that there is not a consistent/dedicated connection to Google's servers. As such, Gmail and other Google applications are not auto-syncing (manual sync still seems to work). GTalk does not appear to be working for me either.

University of Pi

Aug 31, 2011
Rochester, NY
Baseband unknown? (if so, that's our current problem with trying to port R800i firmware)

Pax

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

yes "Baseband Version
Unkown"

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Any luck? Do current 2.3.4 themes work now on the R800x?

nope baseband issues

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

I hate to hijack this thread for something else entirely, but has anyone tried using the mods and themes that were originally made for 2.3.4 for the other R800 phones? If not, guess what I'm about to do? :D

If anyone already has, you'd better warn me before I start, otherwise I'll be just another guinea pig! ;)

I tried http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1507280&page=21 with no luck
baseband issues

Last edited:

droidjunkie

I am having the same issues as well. I've noticed that the Wi-Fi/3G icons no longer turn green for me either - which, from what I've read, means that there is not a consistent/dedicated connection to Google's servers. As such, Gmail and other Google applications are not auto-syncing (manual sync still seems to work). GTalk does not appear to be working for me either.

Same here, I'm also having problems downloading sdcard data for star battalion, crash bandicoot, and Bruce Lee but i'm thinking that's another issue

Sent from my R800x using XDA

216Monster

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
Maybe Verizon half @$&'ed this..wouldn't surprise me if there was an update for their update..

Sent from my R800x on CM9

FH-CS

Jan 6, 2009
Tampa
Same here, I'm also having problems downloading sdcard data for star battalion, crash bandicoot, and Bruce Lee but i'm thinking that's another issue

I had to re-download the SD card data for Star Battalion, Asphalt 6, Crash Bandicoot, and The Sims 3, but they downloaded without a hitch. In fact, Asphalt 6 now works with the touchpads (although I think I still prefer the d-pad for that game :p ). I had Bruce Lee downloaded before the OTA update as well, but it was the only game where the SD card data did not have to be re-downloaded.

On a different note, it does appear that Swype got an update after all. It finally got a feature that the beta has had for a bit now where you can slide your finger from the swype key to the letter c, x, v, or a, and it'll copy, cut, paste, or select all text (respectively).

Also, this was probably obvious to most of you, but as a reminder to any who might have forgotten (like I did when I tried playing Spyro earlier) you will have to reconvert your PS1 games if you used PSXperia 1.0. PSXperia 2.0 beta supports 2.3.4.

Reactions: John.F.Remedy

216Monster

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
I am having same issues. Gtalk and sync issues.....

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

Im calling little Red riding hood in the morning... their used to me calling with complaints and giving them a "respectable hard time"

Of course it probably wont solve anything (never has before) but at least the problem will start moving through their channels

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
In case anybody's curious about the GTalk problem:

Code:
W/GTalkService(  315): [GTalkConnection.24] doConnect: caught XMPPError connecting to mtalk.google.com:5228.: (502)
W/GTalkService(  315):   -- caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Connection closed by peer
I/GTalkService(  315): handleDoConnectError: error=2, XmppError=null
I/GTalkService(  315): [GTalkConnection.24] connectionClosed: connId=0, error=CONNECTION FAILED
I/GTalkService(  315): [GTalkConnection.24] handleDoConnectError: release wakelock
I/GTalkService(  315): [GTalkConnection.24] releaseAsyncWakeLock: clear timer: WakeLock{2b05cff0 held=false, refCount=0}
I/GTalkService(  315): [GTalkConnection.24] EVENT_REQUEST_ROSTER: not connected
I/GTalkService(  315): [GTalkConnection.24] (WORKER THREAD) update account status
I/GTalkService(  315): [GTalkConnection.24] (WORKER THREAD) update account status - done, took 89 ms

Rogue Leader

Apr 4, 2011
New York
Finally got my update working thanks to Rogue Leader's mini tutorial!
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25572068&postcount=503 (from this thread, linked to for convenience)
If SuperOneClick looks too complicated, or you have problems, like I did, use Flashtool's Rooting tool! Can't wait for Sony to give us some PS Store love!

Glad it worked out.

I needed to redownload the data for some of the preloaded games (Star Battalion, Asphalt 6, Crash Bandicoot, and The Sims), but other than that everything seems to work. Also needed to restore my Backup of Asphalt 6, for some reason it wiped out my savegame. Works fine now.

When I get around to it I will need to reconvert my playstation games, for now I just deleted them, I have them backed up on my PC anyway.

I am not having any of the other issues anyone is describing, the only problem I have lately is my battery SUCKS but thats been going on for the past week or so.

paxChristos

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 27, 2011
West Bend
Yupp, just tried flashing latest GB Gapps & talk is still broken.

Thanks Verizon. Well, back to I've tomorrow, with an update to CM9!! :D

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Definitive instructions how to update to 2.3.4 if you are Locked, Rooted, and the OTA Update will not complete for some reason. This will also save all your apps without individually backing them up.

1. Reboot your phone into CWM and take a nandroid backup of its current state.
    2. Reboot and use flashtool to flash the stock 2.3.3 ROM
    3. Reboot, activate Phone, upon activation it will start downloading 2.3.4, let it complete and when it does, choose "Remind me later"
    4. Use SuperOneClick to root via Zergrush method.
    5. Install 2.3.4 update.
    6. Activate phone again, then go into Android Market and re-download Xperia CWM Auto Installer, Run it and install CWM.
    7. Reboot Phone into CWM and go to "Restore", "Advanced Restore" , and then "Data".
    8. Reboot Phone

When this is done, all your apps, contacts, etc will be back to how they were before the update, and you will have 2.3.4 rooted on your phone.
    I got money off my bill for 1yr because they messed it up. And why not just use a custom rom, one of pax's builds will surely suit you up nicely!

@Rouge Leader "loud mouthed Italian" haha hell ya man a fellow Italian like myself can appreciate that any day!!

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

SO I GOT AN ANSWER

Spoke to a very nice girl in tech support. Laid out the deal from the start, explained I already reimaged my phone, others have the same problem, etc. She told me that many people have called with the issue. Then she put me on hold for about 3 minutes while she did some research.

When she came back she said the latest word is that its an issue with Google's versions of their framework that they used in the update. I got the impression that the version of 2.3.4 that VZ customers were issued is not the same one that other R800 users got (as in it was custom made by VZ with Sony framework, probably why it doesn't have xLoud). She said that their engineers cannot fix it but they have been in touch with Google to try and find a solution. She could not give me any sort of ETA and apologized for the issue.

Thats prettymuch where I left it as the answer made sense and no reason to argue there. So they know about the issue, they are willing to fix it (if you believe them) but in theory they need Google to fix it. I can't believe no one tested this before releasing it, but then again it is Big Red.
    Here's a link to the fota folder I found in /cache/recovery

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21955004/fota.zip

I'm pretty sure Verizon wants nothing to do with CyanogenMod.

Sent from my phone, please excuse any Swypos.
    Not sure if anyone already posted this or not, but it's 2.3.4:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/3...-4-0-2-e-0-57-pops-phone-up-to-android-2-3-4/

And while that is an improvement, the lack of ICS and the Sony Frameworks required for PSStore makes it almost pointless anyway

Wondering if Verizon ever marketed the "Playstation Certified" part of the phone. If they did, then withheld those features, isn't the false advertisement?