Host Files For an Ad-Free Experience Updated 6/2/12

Search This thread

nickmcminn60

Oct 9, 2010
Asheville
360banner.png
Make your Android Free of Ad's in apps and increase Browser loading times.
*Updated 6/2/2012*

install.png

-First off remove the ".zip" Extension (Had to add it to upload here)

-Next transfer to device's SD Card.

-Move to the System/etc folder via Root Explorer or equivalent and overwrite the existing host file.

-Change Permissions to rw-r-r and reboot.

-Enjoy an Ad Free Experience

-This Will Also Make Your PC Ad Free (If You Tether). No More Loading Useless Add's, In Turn Speeding up PC Browser Loading Times Using Less Bandwidth!

*To revert back, just delete my Host file and reboot. The OS will rewrite the original.

I will add to this file as I come across newer Ad's

*Yes This Can Be Done With Several App's, But I like My Space and Free Ram*
(Tinker, Tinker, Tinker, That's What It's All About)

Attachments

• hosts.zip
    960.5 KB · Views: 1,205
Last edited:

Acerbus91

Apr 23, 2011
Awesome, willl have to do this once my phone arrives. However, do you actually mean Reduce browser loading times??

nickmcminn60

Oct 9, 2010
Asheville
Sorry i just cant sit in front of a pc/Linux all day i have a job to go to. Saturdays are my only day for android. If i do it then. Not worth my time i can just do stuff for me and the old lady, not sure what your deal with me is but im not signing on to see these comments. Ill keep my work personL.....in other news samsungs half ics is working well.

Cirkustanz

May 5, 2010
Hey, the good news about this thread is that k0nane suggested adfree android, which literally took 15 seconds to get up and running, and is a nifty little tweak!

talindsay

May 3, 2012
Or one could use full-featured, easy apps from the Market such as AdAway or Adfree Android...
Apologies to OP, but quick Adfree Android question: is there documentation for it somewhere? I checked out bigtincan.com and it doesn't have anything, and on the Android Market^H^H^H Google Play site there's very little by way of documentation. I think it just did its job, but it presents a lot of choices and it would be good to know what they all do.

abraham.ramirez

Sep 18, 2011
Apologies to OP, but quick Adfree Android question: is there documentation for it somewhere? I checked out bigtincan.com and it doesn't have anything, and on the Android Market^H^H^H Google Play site there's very little by way of documentation. I think it just did its job, but it presents a lot of choices and it would be good to know what they all do.

Adaway is actually a little easier to use, I recommend that one

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Or one could use full-featured, easy apps from the Market such as AdAway or Adfree Android...

Is there a specific reason your being so rude? Or are you feeling insecure that there is another bad ass dev coming out with fixes. or is it your just that stuck up and must have all the likes. Last I heard Android is open source and last I checked we were all supposed to help one another not point out each others down falls or pick at them. Your rude and have my word that I would never support you and your obnoxious mouth. </rant> good day sir :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: chlor3

allprogrammed

Apr 13, 2012
Chicago
Is there a specific reason your being so rude? Or are you feeling insecure that there is another bad ass dev coming out with fixes. or is it that just that your just that stuck up and must have all the likes. Last I heard Android is open source and last I checked we were all supposed to help one another not point out each others down falls or pick at them. Your rude and have my word that I would never support you and your obnoxious mouth. </rant> good day sir :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do you really think that k0nane's post was rude? Really? It is just another way to accomplish the same thing. That dude gave us root. That in itself is way more than most have offered.
I thank everyone for the work they're putting in for this device, but to say that his post was rude is reaching a bit. He just gave another option, and it is a good one.
We're all on the same team.

Do you really think that k0nane's post was rude? Really? It is just another way to accomplish the same thing. That dude gave us root. That in itself is way more than most have offered.
I thank everyone for the work they're putting in for this device, but to say that his post was rude is reaching a bit. He just gave another option, and it is a good one.

Yep and the same man helped him on his journey of getting the root. I feel the man is acting childish following him around and under minding his every turn. Same team.... I thought. But with this crap going on..... Just because he achived root doesn't give him rights to act like a snob. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: nickmcminn60

allprogrammed

Apr 13, 2012
Chicago
Yep and the same man helped him on his journey of getting the root. I feel the man is acting childish following him around and under minding his every turn. Same team.... I thought. But with this crap going on..... Just because he achived root doesn't give him rights to act like a snob. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But what it comes down to, is that he gave a simple answer to what was being addressed in the thread, right?
I don't care who helps who getting what in the scheme of things.
I'm a beggar and not a chooser at this point so I gotta love those that are giving to the community. Whoo devs!

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
Is there a specific reason your being so rude? Or are you feeling insecure that there is another bad ass dev coming out with fixes. or is it your just that stuck up and must have all the likes. Last I heard Android is open source and last I checked we were all supposed to help one another not point out each others down falls or pick at them. Your rude and have my word that I would never support you and your obnoxious mouth. </rant> good day sir :rolleyes::rolleyes:

badass dev? when is he coming?

anyways in all seriousness the point that k0nane was trying to make i believe was fully justified. by using nicks tweak you rely on him updating it, which from the looks of it... doesnt seem to be happening. what does android being open source have to do with helping or not helping? as far as i can see there was an alternative given thats all, no different than if i made a huge giant post about how to use alogcat and get your msl. which works fine but there is an easier way of just using getprop.

so far from what ive seen of this community is a bunch of crying on how there are no roms/kernels etc. we had one blaze owner in teh irc for teh longest time. helping with root/recovery and whenever starskyrob had a moment to test his rom. everyone claims to want cm7/cm9/aokp/ics yet i havent seen anyone except (forgive me for misspelling your name if i did) dr4stic even try to compile. if you want good things to happen to your device then you need to step forward, look into rom development, learn how to compile the kernel from source. if you cant/arent willing to put the time in then find someone who is ive mentioned all around this forum no dev is gunna give up their high end device to go buy and work on the blaze.

myself and k0nane are on sprint it just happened to be that we like to go around and help phones that dont seem like they are gunna get the big name treatment. i tweeted at my buddy mikeyinid (we worked together on the nexus s back in the day) see if he wouldnt mind helping you guys on out...

Last edited:

anyways in all seriousness the point that k0nane was trying to make i believe was fully justified. by using nicks tweak you rely on him updating it, which from the looks of it... doesnt seem to be happening. what does android being open source have to do with helping or not helping? as far as i can see there was an alternative given thats all, no different than if i made a huge giant post about how to use alogcat and get your msl. which works fine but there is an easier way of just using getprop.

And that is 100% respected. I am not only talking Bout this post, rather all of his post that have followed one of nicks. I am glad you guys helped. But that doesn't give the right to treat others in a condescending manner. Nick has done amazing work on the vibrant and now has this phone and wad helping this man. Once the man got what he needed ( because like you stated, he nor you have the device) he was out. Then started treating him like this. Shabby, problem wasn't with you. I just had to step in and defend nick because he is a bad ass dev.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

Reactions: nickmcminn60

Cirkustanz

May 5, 2010
I personally think a lot of the problem is the average user's interpretation of T-mobile sales reps.

I mean, I knew the S2 had a very large rom community especially because it's a very popular phone. I was led to believe by T-mobile that the phone is pretty much just an S2, but with a smaller size screen.

If you compare the phone's features and specifications, you'd be a fool to not agree.

But as it turns out, as it pertains to roms, nothing could be further from the truth.

Shame on us, the average user, for not realizing the golden rules with salespeople:

1: They'll tell you what you want to hear.

2: Most of the time they don't know what they are talking about anyway.

3: Often times when you need to buy a phone, you've not exactly been planning on it, so you have to do it hastily. This was certainly true for me.

4: Custom roms are of course never able to be supported or recognized by the carriers, they pretty much pretend they don't exist, and for good reason. Most people aren't really careful enough to be doing it, even for the "simple" methods.

5: Rom maker's ability to communicate instructions is not always clear, and yes, this can have a detrimental impact to a person, especially if they are not experienced with the process. Seriously, half of the roms I've looked at for Android phones have glaring instruction errors, and even if it gets pointed out by another person, rather than update their instructions they'll just reply, "Yeah, sorry about that" The problem is, that clarification is often times on the 40th page of the thread. Sigh.

6: And this is my number one reason........

A lot more people should be getting more and more fed up with carriers who impose limitations on phones. Seriously, if it wasn't for all this carrier and manufacturer ego-wagging, the user experience would be better for both the tweaker crowd, and the stock crowd.

Reactions: Tha Maxx

nickmcminn60

Oct 9, 2010
Asheville

so far from what ive seen of this community is a bunch of crying on how there are no roms/kernels etc. we had one blaze owner in teh irc for teh longest time. helping with root/recovery and whenever starskyrob had a moment to test his rom. everyone claims to want cm7/cm9/aokp/ics yet i havent seen anyone except (forgive me for misspelling your name if i did) dr4stic even try to compile. if you want good things to happen to your device then you need to step forward, look into rom development, learn how to compile the kernel from source. if you cant/arent willing to put the time in then find someone who is ive mentioned all around this forum no dev is gunna give up their high end device to go buy and work on the blaze.

myself and k0nane are on sprint it just happened to be that we like to go around and help phones that dont seem like they are gunna get the big name treatment. i tweeted at my buddy mikeyinid (we worked together on the nexus s back in the day) see if he wouldnt mind helping you guys on out...

I appreciate the help with root and CWM but not the comments that follow all of mine. I have Saturdays to work with this device, so I am limited with time. I got to the point where I felt like baking for my wife and I ...= less drama. Ill be more than happy to post a "bootable , Functional Rom. But it will be redirected here: http://www.android-engineering.com/index.php
Sorry I can't sit here 24/7 I work 6 day's a week and spend the extra time with my 3 kids. I got to a point where I was neglecting my fam and was staying on the PC trying to keep up with 5 Rom's. Something had to give. What am I not updating? Is there a need? This will be put into my rom instead of an extra app. If something needs updating when I update a rom it will be done with each release. If it is unappreciated just delete the thread.

shabbypenguin

May 30, 2010
alright, its clear. i cant speak for k0nane but i can for myself. the hitsquad attempts to help devices get off teh ground but it doesnt seem like that is much wanted round here. so my apologies but ill go ahead and remove this forum from my daily loadup macro.

im keeping the cwm thread open and source up on my github for any future devs that wish it. i hope no hard feelings and best of luck to you all

k0nane

Feb 7, 2008
www.k0nane.info
alright, its clear. i cant speak for k0nane but i can for myself. the hitsquad attempts to help devices get off teh ground but it doesnt seem like that is much wanted round here. so my apologies but ill go ahead and remove this forum from my daily loadup macro.

im keeping the cwm thread open and source up on my github for any future devs that wish it. i hope no hard feelings and best of luck to you all

This. My threads will remain open as well.

I can't control how anyone interprets what I write - and that's all I'm going to say on the matter. Blaze owners, enjoy your devices, and best of luck, as Shabby said.

Reactions: ace10134

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    360banner.png
    Make your Android Free of Ad's in apps and increase Browser loading times.
    *Updated 6/2/2012*

install.png

-First off remove the ".zip" Extension (Had to add it to upload here)

-Next transfer to device's SD Card.

-Move to the System/etc folder via Root Explorer or equivalent and overwrite the existing host file.

-Change Permissions to rw-r-r and reboot.

-Enjoy an Ad Free Experience

-This Will Also Make Your PC Ad Free (If You Tether). No More Loading Useless Add's, In Turn Speeding up PC Browser Loading Times Using Less Bandwidth!

*To revert back, just delete my Host file and reboot. The OS will rewrite the original.

I will add to this file as I come across newer Ad's

*Yes This Can Be Done With Several App's, But I like My Space and Free Ram*
    (Tinker, Tinker, Tinker, That's What It's All About)
    not sure what your deal with me is but im not signing on to see these comments
    What? I think you're taking... whatever it is that it appears that I'm doing, way too personally. Chill out.
    Is there a specific reason your being so rude? Or are you feeling insecure that there is another bad ass dev coming out with fixes. or is it that just that your just that stuck up and must have all the likes. Last I heard Android is open source and last I checked we were all supposed to help one another not point out each others down falls or pick at them. Your rude and have my word that I would never support you and your obnoxious mouth. </rant> good day sir :rolleyes::rolleyes: