GPS on Archos 101G9

Search This thread

MrJoske

May 1, 2012
Sorry to hear all you guys are having such problems with
One thing that may help, has anyone tried toggling airplane mode on then off again. Whenever I install a new rom, on phone or tablet, I reboot the system at
least twice after setup and then toggle airplane on/off. This was an instruction in some roms that had wifi issues and I now do it as a matter of course.

This worked for me on my Archos 80 G9 - turbo :)

Before none sat fixed after 1h (checked with GPS status-toolbox)

now getting 5sat fixed within 30seconds

Extreme_One

May 7, 2012
Southampton
fubared

4.0.6 has seemingly killed the GPS on my 80 G9

I have tried everything listed in this thread at least 3 times.

On 4.0.5 I could get a lock (albeit slower than I would like) but now I cannot get a GPS lock no matter what I try.

Hope they manage to fix this in the next release.

Kenomann

May 11, 2011
My gps was not working, too, (80 gen9) . but since two days it works ok. the only thing that I remember what I have done to the system is , that I have supercharge it. Could this be a reason? ? ?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using XDA

pittnuma

Dec 17, 2009
Ripon, UK
www.ygc.co.uk
4.05 the gps was not working, however upgrading to 4.06 has seemingly fixed that, I however wifi no longer wakes up after sleep...

Sent from my ARCHOS 101G9 using XDA Premium HD app

scholbert

Aug 1, 2007
Hi,

first of all thanks for even more reports... though i do not see any uniform trace.
The comments are even more confusing sometimes (got some voodoo babe).

Concerning low level GPS chipset setup on 4.0.5. compared to 4.0.6 there's only one file that changed:
/etc/gps/config/GPSCConfigFile.cfg

Unfortunately this file is in hex format and not human readable.
So it's hard to draw any conclusion form it... :rolleyes:
All other files remained the same.

In Gingerbread these setup files were placed in a different folder.
It's notable that the patch file (patch-X.0.ce) for the firmware itself had grown on ICS.
... but i wrote that before.
So who else could see any improvements on new 4.0.6?

Maybe we should start a poll!

Regards,

scholbert

golfnut22

May 9, 2012
GPS working....for now

Hello,

Thanks for all the tidbits in reading what to do and not to do. I had considered going back to the 3.28 OS, but for now I will stay with the 4.06.

I bought a used 80 g9 250gb and when I first downloaded the app GPStest (?), got a fix immediately. Then, there was a notice to download the new firmware, 4.06 and I did that. I could get a fix, but it may take up to an hour. Very erratic.

I just got a fix very quickly and it was after reading this thread so I don't know if it will last but it was basically a few steps:
-wifi off
-in settings, time & date, unchecked the "auto" time and date (first box)
-opened up GPStest
-cleared the agps setting in menu
and this was weird, but don't know if it has anything to do with it but my gps signal indicator was not blinking so I touched the bottom right corner to bring up tablet time ect and then tapped elsewhere and it not only starting blinking but I got signal fix in 10 secs (11 in view and 8 in use).:D

scamlist

Jul 15, 2012
I have an Archos 80 G9 - I bought it second hand a couple of weeks ago.
I was struggling getting a GPS fix - it would find 1, 2 or 3 satellites but no more and no fix. So the GPS was obviously working.
I did loads of things with settings - so much so that I lost track of what I did !
Then I suddenly got a fix and used it for navigation using copilot for a couple of days - It was all working fine (except for the cigar lighter charger not keeping up with the discharge !) - Anyone got a fix for this ?
Then as quick as the satellite fix came it came it went again.
I found this forum today and see many have the same issue.
Whilst reading I have been trying one or two things and came across the 'Datum' settings in GPS Test from play.google (ex android market)
I don't know what all of the options are but mine was set to WGS84 as default.
I tried AGD84 (for some random reason) apart from the few above it had locations by them.
I IMMEDIATELY got a lively response from several satellites and got a fix within a few minutes - 5 max! - and indoors about 1m from the double glazed window.
Now, with nothing changed, it's not so good again.
5 questions -
Can someone advise what the different Datum settings are ?
Is there a proper car charger that doesn't give the 'slow' charge ?
Is there a way of fixing an external GPS arial ?
Has anyone found if it works better in Portrait position or Landscape ?
Mine is on Firmware 4.0.7 (Android 4.0.3) according to Settings - About Tablet. Is there any way of putting Honeycomb back on it and where can I download it from ?
Thanks

Last edited:

Copp

Feb 14, 2008
Tampa
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I have a G980 1.5 gz Turbo. Sorry, I consistently get lock within 60 seconds, I am 10-12 feet from nearest window (but small skylight over me).

But, regarding cigarette lighter problem:
When I first got the tablet, back before running Surdu's ROM 4.06, (and possibly the ICS update as well!), my G9 accepted all manner of 1.5-2 amp chargers, and topped off my battery quickly. Now, it will only slow charge. I have no idea where my original charger got off to. I have a 4 outlet USB 2 amp (each port) charger I got from Meritline.com. This is an essential bedside fast charger for my Droidx, my wife's IPad, my G9 and Pandigital reader/tablet.

Meritline also carries a low profile IPad charger for cigarette lighters. IPad chargers require 2 amps to charge, the standard .5 cigarette lighter charger for phones doesn't cut it at all. It too used to normally charge my tablet quickly.

However, nothing seems to normally charge this tablet anymore. (Really wish I had the original now to try out). Does anyone know what was done in ICS to limit the acceptable charger input? Because 2 amps will charge the unit ANDd run a GPS, be it my Droidx or this G9...at least normally. Lack of a fast charge is driving me nuts.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using xda premium

4carlos

Jun 28, 2009
@Copp: sure

i give up and wait for better days :rolleyes: i use an external bt mouse in the meantime.

scamlist

Jul 15, 2012
There's no sense to this.
My 80 G9 has been sitting on the window sill for the last 5 hours with just 2 or 3 or 4 satellites popping into view and out again with never a fix.
I 'cracked it open' earlier to see where the GPS antenna is etc but nothing changed.
I just did a reboot and by the time GPS Test had started there were 8 in view and a fix.
Now it is holding a fix with 7 in view and 6 in use.
It's inside leaning against a double glazed window and it's cloudy and raining outside!

scamlist

Jul 15, 2012
Hardware:
- I started searching for a better antenna to be placed in the housing
(e.g. helical/helix antenna)
- Place a HF-connector on the mainboard to use an external antenna

scholbert
Did you have any success with this idea?
I am sure there are many others that would be very interested in being able to attach an external GPS antenna if it would make GPS more reliable.
Many thanks

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
Hardware:

scholbert
Did you have any success with this idea?
I am sure there are many others that would be very interested in being able to attach an external GPS antenna if it would make GPS more reliable.
Many thanks

There are external GPS antennas you can connect. People have done it. Not sure which one they bought. GPS seems hit and miss for people. Seems to vary on device hardware, software, and location

scamlist

Jul 15, 2012
Bluetooth GPS

I have got a GlobalSat BT359 Bluetooth GPS receiver off eBay for £11 (sold by sat_nav_accessories).
Downloaded Bluetooth GPS (Googoo Android)
Paired my Archos 80 G9 with it.
Now I have excellent GPS fix - EVERY time, in SECONDS.

I downloaded and am running free MapFactor Navigator (Mapfactor).
Free opensource maps for virtually anywhere.
And able to easily display thousands of personal POIs with ease.

Just what I have been looking for to find all of those camper van spots all over Europe.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's little bit mystic...

Hey guys,

last week i also thought about open up a thread related to GPS issues on the Gen9 series, because i had some trouble to get a fix as well.
    I'm using an Archos 80 G9.

mmh, where is my mistake? can't get gps lock with google maps, navigation and so on. car navigation is impossible. gps search is endless inhouse and outdoor :confused:
    The same with my device at first.
    I used the rooted ICS 4.0.5 and GPS Status from the market and started some experiments.
    There'd been no response from the GPS part at all.
    After some time i used a serial port api tool to directly connect to ttyO0.
    Though the GPS part uses some hex protocol i had been able to get a response from the chip, but it was not human readable.

So this way i made sure there's no hardware damage on my UART interface or GPS chipset.

Afterwards i did some hard resets and checked settings of the UART by typing:
    Code:
    stty -F /dev/ttyO0

I started to run GPS Status again and also deleted my AGPS data by using the tools menu. Then i changed GPS Status setup to stay active and prevent device from sleep.

I took a while, but then the first satellite came in sight, still no fix.
    Next day i did the same after some time more and more satellite where seen, but still no fix.

I restarted my device again to boot stock firmware.
    Same again... more and more satellites became visible... but then... suddenly a fix. In fact it took very very long and i'm not very satisfied with the situation.

After i re-booted to rooted firmware again i was able to get a fix here as well.
    The signal reception is still far from being nice though.

Try to get a fix with stock firmware first, then reboot and check again with rooted firmware.

settings location + security:

"use wireless networks = off"
    "use gps satellites = on"
    "use location for google search = off"
    Should be no problem with this setup.
    AFAIK, these three settings address different services.
    GPS should be set of course.

Nice thread, but people start to mix things up at some point.
    Though the GPS and location service on Android OS is quite mystic, i'll try to concentrate on some facts.

Hardware:
    - NL5550 chipset used on Archos Gen9 is up to date and not that bad
    (merged into WL1283 chipset, see http://www.murata-ws.com/com7.htm)
    - Due to hugh shielding areas, GPS reception is not the best with tablets (if compared to handsets).
    - GPS antenna and position of the antenna seems to be problematic

Software:
    - Firmware setup changed form HC to ICS
    - size of the patch file for the chip had grown in ICS
    (mabye they wanted to make thinks better, but they got worse)

So what could be done...

Hardware:

Software:
    - Extract the firmware files from HC and try this setup for ICS
    - try to find other devices based on the navilink chipset and compare their firmware setup

Basically GPS works on ICS and things in fact are not related to ICS itself.
    Some firmware tweaks might be the cause of these issues.
    The basic construcion of the hardware could have some side-effects on this as well.

Some people seem to have no trouble at all, so at least GPS reception is of course little bit depended on the weather and the area you live in.

I may post the HC firmware files here, if you like to try the HC setup on your device.

Cheers,

scholbert
    Hey superpat999!
    I can ONLY get my GPS to lock on if the wifi and location services are enabled and working.

This is because, the gpslib tries to speed up the lock and position information by going out on the internet and firstly fetch the time from the main European ntp server.

Looking at the system logs, it appears to get into an infinite loop waiting for a time update.

Therefore my gps WILL NEVER WORK if actuated with NO wifi.
    Yes, thanks for pointing at this.
    Try to disable automatic time sync in time & date settings menu and check again.
    You should definitely get a fix without setting the other location services or having wifi enabled all the time.

However..... If I start the GPS application, (I am using mmaps) with the wifi on and the locaation services on I get a good lock, with 10-12 satellites with the Archos INSIDE my house, within a few minutes. (There is nothing wrong with the sensitivity of the GPS engine!)

If I then stop the app and turn off the Wifi and location serves and restart the app it will get a lock in a few seconds and stay working until I power down the Archos.
    O.k. this is also very helpful information. I must admit that sensitivity is not that bad, but could be further improved... that's why i also talked about hardware in my last post.

This is OK apart from the problem that I want to use the Archos in my car with no wifi.
    As stated above... getting a fix without wifi should work, i'm pretty sure.

Thanks again for this detailed descriptions!

Regards,

scholbert
    Sorry to hear all you guys are having such problems with gps lock.

I have an original 8gb 9g classic. I have taken it through Honeycomb and up to the last ICS update. I have rooted it, over-clocked it and it has taken everything that I have thrown at it!

In every case, the gps has been first class. Using gpsstatus from the market, it locks on to 9 sats from inside my house within 30 seconds.

It was originally set to europe.pool in the gps.cfg file and I got a good lock with that. When I changed to rooted custom fw, I downloaded fasterfix from the market and used it to change the gps.cfg to uk.pool. This speeded up the lock and increased the number of sats to 11.

One thing that may help, has anyone tried toggling airplane mode on then off again. Whenever I install a new rom, on phone or tablet, I reboot the system at
    least twice after setup and then toggle airplane on/off. This was an instruction in some roms that had wifi issues and I now do it as a matter of course.

It may be worth a try.

I use Co pilot live as satnav and it has never failed to lock on within seconds of being set up.