The Recovery Battle: WCX vs Twrp vs CWM

Search This thread

Archector

Mar 5, 2012
What recovery do you guys prefer?

I've seen a lot of Vivids with WCX these days.

Post your experience with each one!

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
CWM still has a lot of issues. It's been causing quite a few hard bricks. Anyone that still has it, I would highly suggest switching to WCX recovery. I have yet to try TWRP but from what I've heard from all the devs, it still has a few kinks. I wouldn't recommend anything other than WCX at the moment.

I don't really see it as whats "preferred". You don't want something on your device that can potentially cause a hard brick. A recovery is something you don't use very often, so it's best to go with the one that just works.

Archector

Mar 5, 2012
Nice answer, right now I'm on the stock RUU ICS rom with an unlocked bootloader and I want to flash the WCX recovery, I just have to put the wcxrecovery.img in the microSD root, enter in Hboot, select recovery and then flash it with "fastboot flash recovery wcxrecovery.exe"?

Do I have to make a backup of something after doing this?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
Nice answer, right now I'm on the stock RUU ICS rom with an unlocked bootloader and I want to flash the WCX recovery, I just have to put the wcxrecovery.img in the microSD root, enter in Hboot, select recovery and then flash it with "fastboot flash recovery wcxrecovery.exe"?

Actually, just put the wcxrecovery on your computer where you have adb and fastboot set up. If you don't know where that is, just download the wcxjb root zip from the guide in my signature and unzip it to your desktop. Enter hboot on your phone and select fastboot. Shift + right click on your computer inside the folder you just unzipped and select open a command window here. THEN, type in the command "fastboot flash recovery wcxrecovery.img" and you're good to go.

Brand New

Dec 22, 2011
Actually, just put the wcxrecovery on your computer where you have adb and fastboot set up. If you don't know where that is, just download the wcxjb root zip from the guide in my signature and unzip it to your desktop. Enter hboot on your phone and select fastboot. Shift + right click on your computer inside the folder you just unzipped and select open a command window here. THEN, type in the command "fastboot flash recovery wcxrecovery.img" and you're good to go.

Crap I moved back to linux after I s-off'ed, is there anyway I can use fastboot without having to dig out my aging Pentium 4?

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
Crap I moved back to linux after I s-off'ed, is there anyway I can use fastboot without having to dig out my aging Pentium 4?

I know it's possible, but I've never tried it. The best tip I've picked up from the guide was this
- Tip 3: On Linux, remember to run fastboot under sudo
If you have any idea what that means, it may be of help to you.

Reactions: Brand New

Aus_Azn

Aug 14, 2010
Stock CWM. Never used anything else, never had problems, never plan to use anything else.

Archector

Mar 5, 2012
Just download and install the Android SDK for linux, what distribution are you using?

I suppose you're using Ubuntu or some .deb based distribution, this tutorial may serve for you:

Running something on "sudo" is giving superuser attributes to the processes and services that a program or whatever you are running needs to have to function properly. Yes it's important when you flash with fastboot.

If you can flash on a laptop will be better for you, a friend of mine bricked his galaxy sII when he was flashing and there was an electricity short.

Reactions: Brand New

dusty2422

Mar 7, 2011
Kansas City

I use the recovery-beta2 recovery from thecubed. I tried WCX but I couldn't get any ROM's to flash with it... nothing but bootloops for some strange reason (yes I fastboot flashed the boot.img first people). I reflashed thecubed's recovery right after having issues and flashing ROM's worked again. I'm sticking with what works and I've had zero issues with thecubed's recovery after using for several months.

Brand New

Dec 22, 2011
I know I sound redundant, but does anyone have a link to the latest WCX recovery? :eek:

dusty2422

Mar 7, 2011
Kansas City
You have to download from WildChild's website.... It's included in his ROM zip. You have to have 10 posts on his site before you can download anything so be prepared to "earn" the download.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

pside15

Aug 5, 2010
Flowery Branch, Ga
I use the recovery-beta2 recovery from thecubed. I tried WCX but I couldn't get any ROM's to flash with it... nothing but bootloops for some strange reason (yes I fastboot flashed the boot.img first people). I reflashed thecubed's recovery right after having issues and flashing ROM's worked again. I'm sticking with what works and I've had zero issues with thecubed's recovery after using for several months.

Did you use the recovery un-installer to get rid of CWM before you tried the WCX recovery? I remember some people having issues trying to use WCX over one of the previous CWMs without un-installing it first.

W

Wild Child

Actually your incorrect,its available freely from the rooting flashing thread on here...as far as earning something....dont like participation dont use my work either way tomorrows another day and life goes on now doesnt it....theres no entitilement to anything@snotty "earned" comment....;)

WC

You have to download from WildChild's website.... It's included in his ROM zip. You have to have 10 posts on his site before you can download anything so be prepared to "earn" the download.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

thecubed

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Austin, TX
Y'know if CWM loops, it's because your rom of choice had a useless ext4 performance tuning script in it that changed some of the mount options of /cache.

If you have CWM and find that after flashing a ROM that does weird things to your Vivid, just reboot to fastboot, then issue "fastboot erase cache" then boot to recovery and format /cache.

CWM hasn't caused any hard bricks, it's ROM developers that aren't properly checking their 'init.d tweaks' and updater-scripts. Now that we have s-off, a bad tweak or updater-script can and WILL make your phone hard to fix.

Oct 6, 2010
just used TWRP on my Sprint Gnex and love the interface! I used CWM on my old Epic 4G and it worked great too. To me, seeing all the options on that screen is easier....seems stable.

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Great point but how would the average Joe know that about a rom before a flash? I'd love to be able to know that and avoid bricking altogether (but wouldn't we all). any tips?

dusty2422

Mar 7, 2011
Kansas City
Actually your incorrect,its available freely from the rooting flashing thread on here...as far as earning something....dont like participation dont use my work either way tomorrows another day and life goes on now doesnt it....theres no entitilement to anything@snotty "earned" comment....;)

WC

I don't mind participation... I just find it hard to participate in a forum where I can't download anything. Kind of hard to comment on something that you can't download IMO.

Some people just throw stuff out like they know what's going on... Wow get facts right first bro

Not sure if this was directed at me but I'll assume it is. WC closed all of his dev threads on XDA (Vivid forum at least) which is why I assumed it wasn't here anymore (yes I searched before replying). Not sure that I've ever seen dev related content stuck in a [GUIDE] thread (maybe a link to the thread that has it) so not sure why this was the place chosen and probably why I missed it. Apparently I'm not the only one since I've seen multiple people asking who can't find it. I appreciate you keeping me honest though "bro".

propofokgov

May 5, 2007
Oklahoma City
www.facebook.com

WCX all the way, ROM's, Recovery, & Kernel. Now, I'm not trying to say that CWM doesn't work, I used it alot when I was rooting & flashing my Aria... but I've had nothing but 100% success using WCX Recovery & ROM's since before I started beta testing for him (along with all the other dedicated members).

I've never used TWRP before, & all I think about when I see that word is Big Booty Shaking!!! ;-)

Reactions: ccb101

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Y'know if CWM loops, it's because your rom of choice had a useless ext4 performance tuning script in it that changed some of the mount options of /cache.

If you have CWM and find that after flashing a ROM that does weird things to your Vivid, just reboot to fastboot, then issue "fastboot erase cache" then boot to recovery and format /cache.

CWM hasn't caused any hard bricks, it's ROM developers that aren't properly checking their 'init.d tweaks' and updater-scripts. Now that we have s-off, a bad tweak or updater-script can and WILL make your phone hard to fix.
    CWM still has a lot of issues. It's been causing quite a few hard bricks. Anyone that still has it, I would highly suggest switching to WCX recovery. I have yet to try TWRP but from what I've heard from all the devs, it still has a few kinks. I wouldn't recommend anything other than WCX at the moment.

I don't really see it as whats "preferred". You don't want something on your device that can potentially cause a hard brick. A recovery is something you don't use very often, so it's best to go with the one that just works.

I know it's possible, but I've never tried it. The best tip I've picked up from the guide was this
    - Tip 3: On Linux, remember to run fastboot under sudo
    If you have any idea what that means, it may be of help to you.
    Just download and install the Android SDK for linux, what distribution are you using?

I suppose you're using Ubuntu or some .deb based distribution, this tutorial may serve for you:

Running something on "sudo" is giving superuser attributes to the processes and services that a program or whatever you are running needs to have to function properly. Yes it's important when you flash with fastboot.

If you can flash on a laptop will be better for you, a friend of mine bricked his galaxy sII when he was flashing and there was an electricity short.