Polaroid ICS PMID701i 5 points capacitive 7" tablet $99 BigLots

Search This thread

elektrik2001

Jan 23, 2009
Moto G 5G
I've had the pmid701c (not the pmid701i-same diff more or less though) for 24 hours. Applied the 'full root' and the Android market. love love LOVE this thing. Best part is that I got it on sale for $89.99 this weekend cause of the special (it was the last one available-WHEW!).

davepmer

Feb 19, 2006
Glad you got one. I bought 2 one right before the sale and one during.
Now for all those with a 701c go to www.freaktab.com and search the polaroid forum. There is an offical ics rom update for the 701c, and best if you don't like it there is also sn official gb rom there to so you can go back. Also the ics rom is rooted

sudowtf

Mar 4, 2011
hoodred-

I believe I have read thought this thread pretty good, but I don't recall seeing if your "fix" adding the Play Store to the Polaroid made the store "show" more available apps? Is this a "standard" store or a modified store so we can get almost any app? Thanks for your work...as well as the others working on improving this tab. BTW, I am using a PMID701c with ICS installed.

Stock device forces you to use Amazon Market, but Amazon accounts force you to enter a home address and credit card info, which is a BIG NEVER on my "kids" devices.
The fix adds "Market", which auto-updates to "Google Play". I found that i was allowed to install a GT Racing app, but the app would not play due to being "incompatible with this device". I tried to find Cut the Rope Free, but could not locate it in the list. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRBMAINT

elektrik2001

Jan 23, 2009
Moto G 5G
Glad you got one. I bought 2 one right before the sale and one during.
Now for all those with a 701c go to www.freaktab.com and search the polaroid forum. There is an offical ics rom update for the 701c, and best if you don't like it there is also sn official gb rom there to so you can go back. Also the ics rom is rooted

I'm actually going to pass on ICS-there are mixed reports I lose TV out functionality if I upgrade, and frankly this will be killer to watch netflix movies on our 55" LCD at home :)

PRBMAINT

Apr 4, 2012
Polaroid PMID701* Market Fix

Stock device forces you to use Amazon Market, but Amazon accounts force you to enter a home address and credit card info, which is a BIG NEVER on my "kids" devices.
The fix adds "Market", which auto-updates to "Google Play". I found that i was allowed to install a GT Racing app, but the app would not play due to being "incompatible with this device". I tried to find Cut the Rope Free, but could not locate it in the list. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, but not quite what I was looking for. At another forum there is a "fix" that is supposed to spoof the tablet's ID to Google that allows you to "see" more apps than if you just installed the Play Store in general to the tab. This is accomplished partially by rewriting the build.prop file as I understand. I was wondering if the "fix" here at XDA was a similar fix but with a different install method. Maybe someone else here is aware of the potential of the XDA "fix"? Thanks again-

hoodred

May 21, 2011
hoodred-

I believe I have read thought this thread pretty good, but I don't recall seeing if your "fix" adding the Play Store to the Polaroid made the store "show" more available apps? Is this a "standard" store or a modified store so we can get almost any app? Thanks for your work...as well as the others working on improving this tab. BTW, I am using a PMID701c with ICS installed.

It's only to install Google Play Store. To show more apps you need to change/tweak build prop. Just becarefull just because it shows more apps, it doesnt mean it will run on the tablet.

Reactions: PRBMAINT

PRBMAINT

Apr 4, 2012
Google Play Store

It's only to install Google Play Store. To show more apps you need to change/tweak build prop. Just becarefull just because it shows more apps, it doesnt mean it will run on the tablet.

I will keep that in mind as I explore my options. Thanks for the reply and all of your work in the forums... PRBMAINT

ZenFury

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
Worked Flawlessly, thanks!

Unzip and copy it into your sd card
insert the sd card into the tablet
open file manager (already there on your tablet)
navigate to your sd card and tap to install
ES File Explorer 1.6.1.3.apk
OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk

To check root access
- Open es file explorer
- go to settings
- scroll down to Root settings
- make sure there are check sign under Root Explorer and Mount File System (Mine already selected since its fully rooted out of the box) If not, select or check it to have root access to system folder

Install Market

- With ES file explorer Navigate to your ext-sdcard (by tapping the star sign/Favorites) and copy Vending.apk to system/app by the following
- Long press Vending.apk and select copy (you will see drawer icon on the bottom)
- Select favorites (star symbol) and tap phone symbol or / (its the second icon from the left after Home icon)
- Tap system folder than tap app folder
- Once you on app folder, drag the drawer icon up and tap Vending.apk to paste it.
- Once its successfully done you need to change the Permissions to RW R R
by long press the Vending.apk-Properties - than change (under permissions)

If for some reason you cant install OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk by tapping it, do the same procedure as copying the Vending.apk

Now reboot and you should have Google Market.

Last edited:

RodMyers

Jun 21, 2011
Over on another forum, they talk about a system up date.

They talk about installing via a windows machine. Can the upgrade be done via recovery?

Sent from my A1_07 using Tapatalk 2

BethCassady

May 16, 2012
Can't set root settings

When I try to set the root settings, it gives me a warning then two possible choices- Cyanogen Mod or HiAPK. Either one I choose gets the same results, it suddenly tells me my sd card is not mounted and system properties shows as read yes write no. So if I do manage to get the file copied by turning off the root settings, then turn them on and go to system/ app and try to copy, it says copy failed. How do I get past this to copy vending.apk into the folder?

It appears there is a lot of variation on these, the tv connection and root settings from the factory.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

hoodred

May 21, 2011
This tablet I overclock it to 1.3 Ghz and It FLY
Every tablet is different on the maximum overclock speed.
I use No frill CPU from google play store.

Plus its on sale this weekend for $ 89.99 at Big Lots

AirborneDude

Jan 15, 2011
Great thread

I went to Biglots on Saturday, was going to use my military ID and get another 10% off the $89, but they were out. They were trying to selling me the NextBook

But that one has a resistive touch screen and my current Coby MID7015 (rooted with 2.3) is resistive touch and I hate it. So I didn't buy any tablet and found the Polaroid Android 4.0 online for $99. It should be here this week.

How well does Netflix play? Did it come Netflix? Or did you have to install Google Market and download it there? Or find the apk on the net? I had trouble with Netflix working on my Coby. I would manually install Netflix and then Netflix would try to force an update and then it wouldn't work. If I didn't take the update, it wouldn't work also. It would work for awhile, then it would break.

Another problem with Google Market and netflix was I would get a error message saying that Netflix wasn't compatible with this device.

elektrik2001

Jan 23, 2009
Moto G 5G
I went to Biglots on Saturday, was going to use my military ID and get another 10% off the $89, but they were out. They were trying to selling me the NextBook

But that one has a resistive touch screen and my current Coby MID7015 (rooted with 2.3) is resistive touch and I hate it. So I didn't buy any tablet and found the Polaroid Android 4.0 online for $99. It should be here this week.

How well does Netflix play? Did it come Netflix? Or did you have to install Google Market and download it there? Or find the apk on the net? I had trouble with Netflix working on my Coby. I would manually install Netflix and then Netflix would try to force an update and then it wouldn't work. If I didn't take the update, it wouldn't work also. It would work for awhile, then it would break.

Another problem with Google Market and netflix was I would get a error message saying that Netflix wasn't compatible with this device.

Netflix playback sux on it. No one knows for sure(honestly, we need an xda uber hacker to find out why), but the theories range from the wifi stack for this device dropping packets to netflix's app being a hog

Sent from my Polaroid PMID 701c

AirborneDude

Jan 15, 2011
I just read on Freaktab.com that people are having success is they mess with the video quality on your Netflix account on the website. I guess downgrading it some helps.

Some guy said he also enabled a setting on the tablet to enabled 2D rendering in Dev Options.

Who knows... Mine is getting delvired today, I will test it out when I get off work.

AirborneDude

Jan 15, 2011
Excellent - THanks

Download the file below

To check root access
- Open es file explorer
- go to settings
- make sure there are check sign under Root Explorer and Mount File System (Mine already selected since its fully rooted out of the box) If not, select or check it to have root access to system folder

Install Market

- With ES file explorer Navigate to your ext-sdcard (by tapping the star sign/Favorites) and copy Vending.apk to system/app by the following
- Long press Vending.apk and select copy (you will see drawer icon on the bottom)
- Select favorites (star symbol) and tap phone symbol or / (its the second icon from the left after Home icon)
- Once you on app folder, drag the drawer icon up and tap Vending.apk to paste it.

If for some reason you cant install OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk and GoogleServicesFramework.apk by tapping it, do the same procedure as copying the Vending.apk

Thanks for this procedure. It worked great. Make sure you reboot after everything. Market works wonderful on the tablet.

Now if I could just figure out my WiFi... something it takes awhile to connect...to the point of me having to get up and walk closer to my router.

WillysJeepMan

Apr 22, 2011
Thanks for this procedure. It worked great. Make sure you reboot after everything. Market works wonderful on the tablet.

Now if I could just figure out my WiFi... something it takes awhile to connect...to the point of me having to get up and walk closer to my router.
I have the same experience. After the tablet itself wakes up, it takes a few seconds for the wifi to awaken. I have found that launching an app that requires a connection (like an RSS reader or browser) seems to re-establish wifi connectivity.

Although I have a variety of ereaders and tablets, I'm very impressed with the Polaroid for the price.

moparfreak426

R.I.P.
Mar 22, 2012
East/Middle TN

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just returned my first 701i because the display was fuzzy at the comfortable viewing angle. The new one is definitely better. I went throught the same set-up as the first, without my previous fails at loading the Google Market. This time I tried installing the com.android.vending-3.5.15.apk without doing any roots. It installed fine, I went through the whole set-up process with Google and it was in my Apps. When I tried to use it I got a "Unfortunately....has stopped". I uninstalled it and installed vending-3.1.3-signed.apk that I found in a downlod of 4 files on another post. It worked on the other tablet and works on this one. I have downloaded a few apps successfully, even after receiving errors on re-boots. I get "com.android.smspush" and "cpm.google.process.gapps" has stopped on every re-boot. Do I need to worry about these messages, I seldom re-boot and hiting OK a couple of times is an agrevation I can live with as long as the Market works? Will I still get updates for the apps I have downloaded or do I need to install another apk or two?I have not rooted this thing yet nor do I have a clue how to do that.

It should be rooted out of the box.

Here's what I did step-by-step from the start, out of the box. I have Market and Google Apps working with no issues or error messages:

1. Download this on your computer: http://rapidshare.com/files/4069402236/marketpolaroid.zip
    2. Plug your tablet into your computer via USB, tap the 'USB connected' notification on the tablet, and press 'Turn on USB Storage'
    3. Drag all of the .apk files from 'marketpolaroid.zip' anywhere onto your tablet's SD card. For the sake of example, I extracted them into the 'Download' folder in my home directory on the tablet.
    4. Open 'File Manager' which comes preinstalled on the tablet and navigate to the 'Download' folder in your home directory.
    5. Tap 'ES File Explorer 1.6.1.3.apk', 'OneTimeInitializer-signed.apk', and 'GoogleServicesFramework.apk' to install them.
    6. Open ES File Explorer. Menu button > Settings. Scroll down to the 'Root Settings' section. Check to enable 'Root Explorer' and 'Mount File System'
    7. Within ES File Explorer, navigate back to your 'Download' folder.
    8. Long click on 'Vending.apk' and click 'Copy'
    9. Click on the 'Favorites' button at the top, and then click on '/'. Click on the 'system' folder. Click on the 'app' folder.
    10. Click the 'Paste' button at the top of the screen.
    11. Long click on 'Vending.apk' and scroll down to 'Properties'
    12. Click on 'Change'. Vending.apk's permissions should look like this:

8151954.png

13. Change the permissions of Vending.apk to this:

8151957.png

14. Reboot

You should now have the Android Market (will update to the Play Store automatically once you use it).

You can use the paste-into-system/app-and-change-permissions method outlined above to install Google Apps from your phone (assuming it is running Android 4.0) onto the tablet. For example, I copied 'YouTube.apk' and 'Talk.apk' from the phone's system/app folder to my computer, and then moved them from the computer to the tablet's SD card. I then pasted them into system/app on the tablet and fixed their permissions. Rebooted and voila: they work perfectly.

To get the People (contacts) app from your phone, just move Contacts.apk and ContactProvider.odex from your phone into the Tablet's system/app. DO NOT REPLACE THE 'ContactsProvider.apk' THAT COMES WITH THE TABLET WITH THE 'ContactsProvider.apk' FROM YOUR PHONE. This will cause your Google Apps to force close upon opening and just randomly every 45 seconds. At least that's what happened for me. Just using 2 of the 3 files has the People app on my tablet working as it should.

If you simply tapped on the vending-3.1.3-signed.apk that you mentioned to install it, I would recommend uninstalling it normally, rebooting, and then doing what I outlined in this post. If you put vending-3.1.3-signed.apk in the system/app folder, delete it, reboot, and then start from step 1.

Hope this helps.
    Just picked one up yesterday for $99.99
    Very impressive so far

Here are the specs

ICS 4.0.3 (Fully rooted out of the box)
    7" tablet
    512 DDR3 RAM (307mb user available)
    Arm Cortex 8 1Ghz
    Graphics Open GL ES2.0/3D game support
    Screen 800 by 480 16:9 format
    5 points capacitive
    Internal Memory 4GB (expandable through Micro SD)
    wifi 8011. b/g/n
    Mini USB (to charge and work as a host as well)
    Video output jack
    Speaker and microphone

there are no google play market
    however I dont have any difficulty installing it by copying google services framework.apk and vending.apk from CM7 website
    No force close or any problem so far.

Netflix works
    Skype also works (no video chat cause it doesnt have camera)
    All angry birds also works

Booting time under 25 seconds
    How did you get root? Grabbed es explorer and tried to get off of the sd card, and no go.
    Google play store keeps "force closing ".on me

Download the file below
    http://rapidshare.com/files/4069402236/marketpolaroid.zip

To check root access
    - Open es file explorer
    - go to settings

Install Market

How did you get root? Grabbed es explorer and tried to get off of the sd card, and no go.
    Google play store keeps "force closing ".on me

device comes prerooted, you need to install a root capable file explorer first. here's how:

1. download and install the latest Android SDK
    2. Using ADB commands
    a. connect your 701i to your PC
    b. at a command prompt type "adb remount"
    c. type "adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk /system/app/"
    d. type "adb push Vending.apk /system/app/"
    e. type "adb reboot"
    3. open "Google Play" from your apps drawer
    4. search for "esfile explorer"
    5. install "esfile explorer"

now you have google play and a root capable file explorer.
    google apps can be found searching google or xda (make sure it the ICS version)
    hoodred-