Make a WiFi only Rom

Search This thread

TimeMonkey

Feb 16, 2012
Los Banos
Yeah if it opens ok I got groveip pro witch uses the phone app to call out over WiFi but really thank you :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

SlimeYKW

Aug 1, 2010
GrooveIP is a great solution if you're using it just for WIFI. Works flawlessly with Google Voice. I use it all the time, let me know if you need help setting it up.

As for the WIFI only ROM...Why? Just use any ROM you like and turn the data off, and keep the WIFI on... same thing, no? I don't get what difference it would make it's the same thing. Normal ROM, data disabled. Anyways hope everything works out for ya!

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS
GrooveIP is a great solution if you're using it just for WIFI. Works flawlessly with Google Voice. I use it all the time, let me know if you need help setting it up.

As for the WIFI only ROM...Why? Just use any ROM you like and turn the data off, and keep the WIFI on... same thing, no? I don't get what difference it would make it's the same thing. Normal ROM, data disabled. Anyways hope everything works out for ya!

Well, you don't want it accessing the cellular networks at all so that you don't emergency call. I don't know about his case, but you definitely want to make sure that can't happen if you're giving a kid the old device as a media player.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA

SlimeYKW

Aug 1, 2010
If you are just using it as a tablet like device...with no sim card it can't dial and it can still use wifi. Simple solution, just take the sim out. Lol

TimeMonkey

Feb 16, 2012
Los Banos
I know I thought could be a cool idea devs could build around like a iPod type Rom

SlimeYKW

Aug 1, 2010
Airplane mode + Wi-Fi is your best bet. Works great :D

tronmech

If you are just using it as a tablet like device...with no sim card it can't dial and it can still use wifi. Simple solution, just take the sim out. Lol

Actually, it can still do an SOS call. I think that may be a regulatory compliance thing. I think you can try seeing what happens if you freeze the phone app.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

TimeMonkey

Feb 16, 2012
Los Banos
So you used the zip, and once booted those processes were force closing?

I'll try it out on my phone, see if I can't replicate the issue and speak with the dev. Exactly what MIUI build are you on?

*EDIT:

Installed on EliteMod 120316 and upon first boot did get something about the mms process FC'ing. Upon subsequent reboots no more message though, have you tried another reboot? You had two processes FC?

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

Yeah this what I was looking for now just for someone or I can give it try is to make a Rom with already done maybe with a nice ios theme on miui lol for a real iPod look alike :D

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS
Erm.... Remove The SimCard?
Common Sense?

As said above:

EMERGENCY CALLS! Guess what, just took my SIM out and could still call 911. Talk about common sense. Why do people feel the need to try and belittle others, we're on these forums for development and help, not d-bags trying to assert their "superior intelligence and logic."

Sorry, but what part of not wanting to make emergency calls do you people not get? The point of this thread is to remove all cellular capabilities to use the device as something other than a phone. Just remove the sim card, still got the fully functioning phone: just without a sim card.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD via my tethered HTC Vision

tronmech

OK... I understand. Since removing the radio files would be a Very Bad Idea (More than likely would make you say "Bye Bye WiFi & GPS!"), try freezing the phone app. This may kill VOIP as well, but it's worth a shot. Failing that, you could comment out the RIL info in build.prop. again, this is a guess.

Personally, I would sell the phone and get something like the 4.3" Archos devices. Might even come out ahead.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

SlimeYKW

Aug 1, 2010
Just like they said....get titanium and freeze or uninstall the phone app. Don't think there would be a problem with that.

fkofilee

As said above:

EMERGENCY CALLS! Guess what, just took my SIM out and could still call 911. Talk about common sense. Why do people feel the need to try and belittle others, we're on these forums for development and help, not d-bags trying to assert their "superior intelligence and logic."

Sorry, but what part of not wanting to make emergency calls do you people not get? The point of this thread is to remove all cellular capabilities to use the device as something other than a phone. Just remove the sim card, still got the fully functioning phone: just without a sim card.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD via my tethered HTC Vision

By law, manufacturers must include emergency call capabilities.

Don't get me wrong. Belittling is not what I'm trying to do but its the easiest option to remove the sim card.

Go over to the HTC flyer and look at the build prop abilities. You can edit the build prop to hide the phone app etc.

Reactions: buxtahuda

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS

Don't get me wrong. Belittling is not what I'm trying to do but its the easiest option to remove the sim card.

Go over to the HTC flyer and look at the build prop abilities. You can edit the build prop to hide the phone app etc.

Sorry, lol, the "common sense" set me off. But we're not manufacturers, we're end-users trying to downgrade and customize this device from a phone to a simple media device, so we aren't worried about those laws. Although that is the "easiest" option, it's the lazier and incomplete option as well. You don't want your kid's "new iPod" calling 911 while they're just poking about.

Thanks for the info! I will have a look, build.prop tweak plus removing those other apps could very well be the best way.

virtualflyer

Mar 16, 2011
In a phone i think, but they don't want a phone, they want an ipod, which can't do emergency calls I think....

Sent from the last decent QWERTY phone around.......

jrkr

Nov 26, 2010
It's a legitimate request I've seen before. I mean, why let your old devices just waste away when your children or family members could totally use them as dirt cheap replacements for iPods and such.

I agree. Few years ago I tried to find info on how to disable 911/112 on an older Nokia so that our daughter could have it as a camera. Never found a solution for the emergency call problem. I thought it would be easy to disable calling by removing the internal antenna or removing relevant circuitry but I never tried it as I had no instructions.

I'd love to see a ROM with disabled calling.

buxtahuda

Feb 4, 2011
Cleveland, MS
Just doesn't seem to be a way to really remove the phone and dialer apps after ROM installation, so I suppose I'm about to either modify a good existing MIUI ROM or take this time to learn to compile Android from source. I'll of course just start out playing around with others' ROMs, I need to see what all I can get away with removing while keeping the system and apps functionable.

Damn you TimeMonkey, I already have no time for my PS3 and now you have me researching building my own ROMs :D How dare you lol

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
EMERGENCY CALLS! Guess what, just took my SIM out and could still call 911. Talk about common sense.

Speaking of common sense, what is the actual probability that a kid is randomly going to open the phone app and hit "911" (or whatever the emergency code in your area/country is) and then hit dial, without hitting any other buttons or numbers? Probably millions to one.

Even if it does happen say once over the "lifespan" of this device being used as a kids toy, its really not that big a deal. Do you know how many false alarms they get at 911? Not saying its a good thing (of course tying up resources that should be used for real emergencies). But one false 911 call is not the end of the world.

Not trying to be argumentative here. Just my 2 cents that you may be obsessing over an issue that is not really an issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    exactly, my first thought would be just to use titanium backup and disable/freeze but not remove apps such as dialer or what you dont want/need. not sure if this will work but its worth a try. probably a few treads across xda on this (especially on older model phones) id search in those and see if there is a quick answer short of developing a whole new rom
    Had a good look at the flashable zip, very simple. I need to learn to code, I guess this is a good small place to start lol

All I did was unzip his file, change a few things and added a couple extra lines to remove one more app he hadn't worried with. As said above this will disable your radio, install the radiooptions binary if absent, and remove a number of apk's from the /system/app/ directory.

Removed apps:

TelephonyProvider.apk - cellular service

TelocationProvider.apk - emergency location service (I just don't see the need if you're not connecting to cellular networks)

Phone.apk - your phone app - should also get rid of dialer, I'm trying to find out why it doesn't.

Mms.apk - messaging app

All credit to jellybellys @ rootzwiki.com of course, I couldn't have written this myself or anything.

jellybellys-mod-wifionly-MIUI

Again, the phone app will still be on the homescreen and you actually can't remove it. It won't dial anything, and will just cause the acore process to FC if you try. It's looking like the only way to get it really removed is to modify the ROM's zip so that it never installs the app to begin with.

I'm going to restore the apps again, see if Titanium Backup can't do a better job than outright removing the app does.
    As said above:

Speaking of common sense, what is the actual probability that a kid is randomly going to open the phone app and hit "911" (or whatever the emergency code in your area/country is) and then hit dial, without hitting any other buttons or numbers? Probably millions to one.

Even if it does happen say once over the "lifespan" of this device being used as a kids toy, its really not that big a deal. Do you know how many false alarms they get at 911? Not saying its a good thing (of course tying up resources that should be used for real emergencies). But one false 911 call is not the end of the world.

Not trying to be argumentative here. Just my 2 cents that you may be obsessing over an issue that is not really an issue.

So why contribute if they're already overrun with bad calls? "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

Depends on your ROM and how it's set to act in the absence of a sim card. Lot of stock ROMs let you emergency dial from the lockscreen, wouldn't take much to have a dispatcher listening in to any random situation. Who knows what could be taken out of context depending on location and the situation.

Pretty sure one ROM I was on would dial out an EMERGENCY if you so much as just hit the dial button without a sim card. There's just no point in letting the opportunity present itself even hypothetically when it can be totally avoided.

*EDIT:

Launcher must be edited to fully remove the phone app from view. IMO you probably do actually need the app as I'm sure plenty of others rely on its existence, but we'll see. TiBu doesn't see system apps, so it's out of the question. Modified framework/custom ROM would be the most complete route.
    My Back Up Pro (paid version) allows uninstall of system apps and can "see" dialer apk and dialer storage, I didn't freeze it or uninstall it as I don't have a recent nandroid in case things go bad after.....but maybe a solution.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium