Samsung Galaxy S removing vodafon logo?

Search This thread

rider17

May 14, 2012
Hi guys so first of all i was a iPhone user:D so i'm newbie at the Android development,i have a couple of question on which i hope you can help,i bought a Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 but when the phone is booting it shows annoying Vodafon logo and Vodafon apps,is there way to put back default booting and apps? on the phone android version is Gingerbred is there way maybe to upgrade on IceCream sandwich?also one big question ,can Samsung can be locked i mean now it's unlocked on my network and if i do update over Kies will it lock to Vodafon or someother network is there way to check it?.Thanks

kavsko

Apr 9, 2008
Porto
Hello rider17...

First of all, welcome to this amazing community.

The first thing you need to do is read, read and read... a lot.

The section reserved to our Samsung Galaxy S is very active and there's always something new to try.

To get rid of all that bloatware from Vodafone you need to flash a stock or a costumized ROM.

One of the most important tools that you will need is Odin. (search the forum you'll find it easily)

The first step to enter the world of costumized ROMs is the get ROOT.

There are several methods to achieve this but the one I recommend is to flash the CF-ROOT appropriate to the version installed in your phone.

With CF-ROOT you get 2 things in one step, ROOT and CWM (Clockwork Recovery Mod).

After that you can install any customized ROM, just follow the steps of the ROM Maker/Cooker.

If I helped you out, please hit the "Thanks" button! ;)

If you need some more guidance, send me a private message.

Last edited:
Reactions: rider17

rider17

May 14, 2012
Thanks @kavsko for your reply,does anybody else have suggestion to answer on my other question so i can start with Android :D

Lexrsk

Feb 28, 2012
on the phone android version is Gingerbred is there way maybe to upgrade on IceCream sandwich?

Custom ROMs only for ICS

also one big question ,can Samsung can be locked i mean now it's unlocked on my network and if i do update over Kies will it lock to Vodafon or someother network is there way to check it?.Thanks

If the Phone is unlocked it will stay unlocked.

If you install a custom ROM you will not be able to upgrade using KIES. In fact you will not be able to use Kies.

I strongly suggest that before you root/install custom ROM that you look up how to back up your EFS folder. This folder contains your IMEI in a HEX file

rider17

May 14, 2012
Custom ROMs only for ICS

If you install a custom ROM you will not be able to upgrade using KIES. In fact you will not be able to use Kies.

I strongly suggest that before you root/install custom ROM that you look up how to back up your EFS folder. This folder contains your IMEI in a HEX file
I mean i think it's unlocked for all network because if it is locked to vodafon then i couldn't put other sim card and now i'm using another sim card which is not vodafon,but again i'm not sure maybe the store where i bought it unlocked for all networks,so if i install any kind of ROM's am i going to be able to unlock device ?

Lexrsk

Feb 28, 2012
I mean i think it's unlocked for all network because if it is locked to vodafon then i couldn't put other sim card and now i'm using another sim card which is not vodafon,but again i'm not sure maybe the store where i bought it unlocked for all networks,so if i install any kind of ROM's am i going to be able to unlock device ?

If you have put in another carriers SIM and and are able to make calls, us the internet etc the phone is not locked.

here is where i suggest you start reading

Last edited:

Dave759

May 14, 2011
Not really much help for your topic but follow what the guys above have suggested, if in doubt ask and be as detailed as possible when you do so, but make sure you read up on everything before you try anything you would want your first android experience to be a bad one. good luck :)

rider17

May 14, 2012
Well i read the whole [HOW TO] /efs Folder backup + Restore NV_DATA.BIN and the whole [HOWTO] [REF] [FAQ] [Guides] [Tutorials] Flash/Root/ADB/ROM [MUST READ!] thread i'm learning,by this tutorial flashing device isn't that hard ,but also as @Lexrs sad "you will note be able to connect on Kies" i can't connect now is it maybe the reason because Vodafon or the storte where i bought it flashed ROM?also guy's is there way to check liftimer counter on SGS ?

Last edited:

MrAndroid12

Mar 30, 2011
Auckland
Well i read the whole [HOW TO] /efs Folder backup + Restore NV_DATA.BIN and the whole [HOWTO] [REF] [FAQ] [Guides] [Tutorials] Flash/Root/ADB/ROM [MUST READ!] thread i'm learning,by this tutorial flashing device isn't that hard ,but also as @Lexrs sad "you will note be able to connect on Kies" i can't connect now is it maybe the reason because Vodafon or the storte where i bought it flashed ROM?also guy's is there way to check liftimer counter on SGS ?

The ODIN counter **** was only introduced in Galaxy S2+

rider17

May 14, 2012
Uh okey,guys can you help me with rooting/flashing on what i need to do first because i want to get started ,and i checked my network sim lock with secret codes that someone posted here and it says :Network Lock:Off is that good or bad ?

Lexrsk

Feb 28, 2012
Uh okey,guys can you help me with rooting/flashing on what i need to do first because i want to get started ,and i checked my network sim lock with secret codes that someone posted here and it says :Network Lock:Off is that good or bad ?

that is good

You are now on your way to having a rooted/custom rom.

1. find a rooted version of your kernel in 'settings>> "about phone"
2. backup EFS folder
3. find rom/flash rom

Darkwing_X

Apr 26, 2012
Just look for a rootet Kernel, like Semaphore, CF-Root, Midnight e.g.
Take the one for your firmware, and flash with Odin.

Or you could also look for the latest Stock Firmware and flash this before flashing the kernel.

Lexrsk

Feb 28, 2012
Are you saying that you are getting a boot loop?

Can you get into Recovery or Download mode?

In recovery perform a factory reset (all apps and data will be erased. Internal SD card should be ok)

If this fails create a account at samfirmware.com and download the firmware for your phone/carrier/region
Once downloaded flash using Odin take note if it is a 1 file or 3 file (note you will need to extract from the downloaded zip to get to the Flash .TAR .PDA etc
1 file flash in PDA in odin
3 file is self explanatory

boot phone and once up and running attempt root flash again

rider17

May 14, 2012
I don't really know waht boot loop mean,but i can enter download and recovey mode,in fact i can enter the phone,but after using it for 5-6 seconds it reboots,do i need to do a EFS file backup?I tired wipe data/factory reset from recovery but it's the same still rebooting....????

Last edited:

rider17

May 14, 2012
Thanks now it seem's fine and rooted :) now when the phone is rooted what i need to do to remove the Vodafon sign/blotware,put another ROM ?do i need to do EFS backup i read that thread that you send me but i don't know how to use adb shell,is there easier way to do it ? :confused:

Lexrsk

Feb 28, 2012
Thanks now it seem's fine and rooted :) now when the phone is rooted what i need to do to remove the Vodafon sign/blotware,put another ROM ?do i need to do EFS backup i read that thread that you send me but i don't know how to use adb shell,is there easier way to do it ? :confused:

To remove Vodafon bloatware i use Titanium Backup locate vodafon app and Un-install (remove at your own risk)

Voda fone boot logo you can leave it there it is only boot images.

If you do not want to use the ADB way to backup the EFS folder you can use Terminial emulator from Google play and enter the commands directly into the emulator. This is the way that I backed up my EFS folder

$ su
# tar cvf /sdcard/efs-backup.tar.gz /efs
(OR)
# busybox tar cvf /sdcard/efs-backup.tar.gz /efs

$ su
# cat /dev/block/stl3 > /sdcard/efs_dev-block-stl3.img
(OR)
# busybox cat /dev/block/stl3 > /sdcard/efs_dev-block-stl3.img

Once you have the *.img and *.tar.gz you can copy them as normal to your computer.

rider17

May 14, 2012
Again news:p phone is now defintly fixed,i backup the Efs folder and img ,now how to remove the Vodafon blotware?:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello rider17...

First of all, welcome to this amazing community.

The first thing you need to do is read, read and read... a lot.

The section reserved to our Samsung Galaxy S is very active and there's always something new to try.

To get rid of all that bloatware from Vodafone you need to flash a stock or a costumized ROM.

One of the most important tools that you will need is Odin. (search the forum you'll find it easily)

The first step to enter the world of costumized ROMs is the get ROOT.

There are several methods to achieve this but the one I recommend is to flash the CF-ROOT appropriate to the version installed in your phone.

With CF-ROOT you get 2 things in one step, ROOT and CWM (Clockwork Recovery Mod).

After that you can install any customized ROM, just follow the steps of the ROM Maker/Cooker.

If I helped you out, please hit the "Thanks" button! ;)

If you need some more guidance, send me a private message.
    on the phone android version is Gingerbred is there way maybe to upgrade on IceCream sandwich?

Custom ROMs only for ICS

also one big question ,can Samsung can be locked i mean now it's unlocked on my network and if i do update over Kies will it lock to Vodafon or someother network is there way to check it?.Thanks

If you have put in another carriers SIM and and are able to make calls, us the internet etc the phone is not locked.

here is where i suggest you start reading
    Not really much help for your topic but follow what the guys above have suggested, if in doubt ask and be as detailed as possible when you do so, but make sure you read up on everything before you try anything you would want your first android experience to be a bad one. good luck :)

The ODIN counter **** was only introduced in Galaxy S2+