No sound from speaker on Lumia 900

Search This thread

sitizenx

Dec 18, 2007
My Lumia 900 was working fine then all of a sudden it didn't make any sound even with volume 30/30. Looking back I believe it started after I disconnected a car audio cable. I eventually tried some headphones. I removed the headphones and again nothing. I also used an audio cable for my car. After removing it the built in speaker sound was back. I thought the phone was fine but a few days later the same thing happened again. I tried the car audio cable and the sound did not come back. I tried some headphones and the sound came back. Totally random and very annoying. Is anyone else experiencing this? I really don't want to exchange my phone.

If I exchange my phone do they wipe it while you are in the store?

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
Are you plugging/unplugging the cables/phones while music is playing? There is some kind of quirky circuit in WP that will pause/mute sound when you plug something in while playing. Have seen this happen on both my Surround and L900. Try plugging/unplugging when music is paused and see what happens. Also, if you are using any kind of case, make sure the audio jack is fully seated.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

sitizenx

Dec 18, 2007
I'll try your suggestion and report back

Are you plugging/unplugging the cables/phones while music is playing? There is some kind of quirky circuit in WP that will pause/mute sound when you plug something in while playing. Have seen this happen on both my Surround and L900. Try plugging/unplugging when music is paused and see what happens. Also, if you are using any kind of case, make sure the audio jack is fully seated.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Awesome. Thanks. I'll pay attention to what I'm doing the next time and see if your suggestion helps. I just don't want to exchange the phone if there isn't a reason to.

arcspeak

Feb 1, 2010
Possible jack problem

Alternatively, though, it could be a bad jack that makes only marginal physical contact when a plug is removed. If so, you have little to worry about with a warranty exchange. Just make sure you've sync'ed your phone to Zune on your PC, and your contacts/calendar to an Exchange or Windows Live account. You can wipe your phone yourself under Settings/About/More/Reset. About the only elements that won't be retained for a new phone once you've set up those Live and Exchange accounts are contact groups, settings, and old SMS messages.

tfn

May 31, 2010
London
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
My Lumia 900 was working fine then all of a sudden it didn't make any sound even with volume 30/30. Looking back I believe it started after I disconnected a car audio cable. I eventually tried some headphones. I removed the headphones and again nothing. I also used an audio cable for my car. After removing it the built in speaker sound was back. I thought the phone was fine but a few days later the same thing happened again. I tried the car audio cable and the sound did not come back. I tried some headphones and the sound came back. Totally random and very annoying. Is anyone else experiencing this? I really don't want to exchange my phone.

If I exchange my phone do they wipe it while you are in the store?

Just wanted to know whether you managed to sort your problem out ?

Having the same problem on one day old lumia, but found that I press the edge of the glass between the windows logo and search button the sound returns.

I believe there is a loose connection at the bottom of the screen with regards to the sound speaker

sitizenx

Dec 18, 2007

Having the same problem on one day old lumia, but found that I press the edge of the glass between the windows logo and search button the sound returns.

I believe there is a loose connection at the bottom of the screen with regards to the sound speaker

Sorry. Swapped phones because of purple screen. Sound did come back. Not sure what actually worked.

CodyNunes

Jun 20, 2012
My four day old Lumia did the same thing. I would press on the bottom of the phone and sound did come back while I was holding it. I slapped the back of the Lumia against my thigh (near the speaker) and sound came back. I am definitely taking it back soon.

VSolis

Jun 2, 2006
I had the same problem w/my Lumia 900. I chopped off the end of a cotton swap (the kind with the paper shaft) and dipped it into some alcohol. I inserted the beheaded swab into the headphone jack and twisted it around slowly and eventually the speaker started working. I guess it though I still had headphones plugged into it and it muted the speakers.

Sep 30, 2010
bump. i'm having this same issue. Wish I would've read thsi before hand as the car headphone connector was in my friend's car. any more ways to work around this?

Sep 30, 2010
Just called AT&T...they're sending a replacement phone. It's frustrating though because I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software defect. I would hate if in a year when my warranty expires, I do the same thing on accident and can't get it replaced. I couldn't even receive calls with the phone after plugging it into the car audio. So hopefully this thread will be a good warning to anyone with a lumia not to plug it into the car stereo unless you want your speakers to blow.

AllenLau1994

Jul 27, 2014
Hong Kong

Simply press on the glass... What the... You saved my mum's phone~~