Thanks Meter: 1,755

By ozzmanj1, Senior Member on 26th April 2012, 10:48 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th May 2012, 10:00 PM |#611  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader

Whats bizzare is my google sync seems to work, I don't use gtalk or voice, but I mentioned my other problems with notifications, unless I am actively using the app GroupMe and Race monitor don't send notifications. I think the problem may be worse than just google sync, but a fundamental issue.

Either way I doubt it will be fixed.

It's not google sync but with the phone not being able to connect to google servers you won't receive any kind of notifications. It's as if background data and auto sync are turned off

Sent from my R800x using XDA

17th May 2012, 04:32 AM |#612  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 166

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by droidjunkie

It's not google sync but with the phone not being able to connect to google servers you won't receive any kind of notifications. It's as if background data and auto sync are turned off

But my contacts and calendar are syncing, and its picking up new Gmail. However another thing though I noticed it doesn't do is I used to be able to go to the Play store on a PC and hit install on an app and it would install on my phone within a minute or so, now it does not at all.

If I go to talk it tells me it can't connect. This is bizarre and bad.
17th May 2012, 05:39 AM |#613  
Thanks Meter: 362

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklebott

"You're still light-years away from facing Brock! (Fights Red and loses) ... Darn! Light-years isn't time! It measures distance."

Well, actually, it's a funtion of time and distance, as anyone familiar with sci-fi will tell you. When you travel light-years in distance, a short moment in time will have passed for you, but from your place of origin, years will have passed. For you what was an hour could be the equivalent of centuries back home.

Thus we see that it is a proper use of light-years to suggest that it will be a long time before Verizon gives the R800x ICS, and by then, Android will probably be a long way down its development path.

Sent from my R800x using xda p
remium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to netizenmt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift netizenmt Ad-Free
17th May 2012, 06:38 AM |#614  
Thanks Meter: 296

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by netizenmt

Well, actually, it's a funtion of time and distance, as anyone familiar with sci-fi will tell you. When you travel light-years in distance, a short moment in time will have passed for you, but from your place of origin, years will have passed. For you what was an hour could be the equivalent of centuries back home.

Thus we see that it is a proper use of light-years to suggest that it will be a long time before Verizon gives the R800x ICS, and by then, Android will probably be a long way down its development path.

Sent from my R800x using xda p
remium

That's science fiction, netizenmt. Here in the real world, a light year is simply the distance light travels in a year. The method of going that far and at what speed is irrelevant. Imagine getting that far on a bicycle!

17th May 2012, 01:32 PM |#615  

More
Quote:

But my contacts and calendar are syncing, and its picking up new Gmail. However another thing though I noticed it doesn't do is I used to be able to go to the Play store on a PC and hit install on an app and it would install on my phone within a minute or so, now it does not at all.

If I go to talk it tells me it can't connect. This is bizarre and bad.

I can guarantee your not getting you're gmail notifications right when that message hits your inbox, also the reason you can no longer user the market on your pc to download and install on your phone is because we aren't correctly connected to the google servers.

17th May 2012, 02:12 PM |#616  
Flag New York

More
Quote:

I can guarantee your not getting you're gmail notifications right when that message hits your inbox, also the reason you can no longer user the market on your pc to download and install on your phone is because we aren't correctly connected to the google servers.

You may be right, I don't use gmail primarily so I don't really notice it.

EDIT: The Verizon forums on vzw.com are abuzz with this. I emailed verizon and will post teh response if I get one.
17th May 2012, 03:50 PM |#617  

More
Quote:

You may be right, I don't use gmail primarily so I don't really notice it.

EDIT: The Verizon forums on vzw.com are abuzz with this. I emailed verizon and will post teh response if I get one.

they are going to retool you to do a factory reset, make sure your data is turned on and then they will say we need youto send it in so we can diagnose it. When you try to tell them that you have already done that and it's a problem with the software update they will say "we don't do the updates you will have to contact the phone manufacturer as they are the ones who push out the updates". Then when you get them to put you through to sony xperia and say warts going on with you're phone a very stupid indian fella that barely speaks english will tell you to do the same things verizon told you. When you tell them it's not any of your settings, that it's the recent software update they sent out he will say " we don't do the updates you will have to contact your service provider as they are the ones who make and push out the updates, but if you want to send it in to us we will do a factory reset for you and make sure all your settings are correct". Believe me I went through this yesterday and I have decided no one is ever gonna fix this piece of **** phone so now for me it's a media player and I am waiting on the galaxy note to hit verizon whilst in the mean time I am going back to my og droid 1.

17th May 2012, 04:21 PM |#618  
Flag New York

More
Quote:

they are going to retool you to do a factory reset, make sure your data is turned on and then they will say we need youto send it in so we can diagnose it. When you try to tell them that you have already done that and it's a problem with the software update they will say "we don't do the updates you will have to contact the phone manufacturer as they are the ones who push out the updates". Then when you get them to put you through to sony xperia and say warts going on with you're phone a very stupid indian fella that barely speaks english will tell you to do the same things verizon told you. When you tell them it's not any of your settings, that it's the recent software update they sent out he will say " we don't do the updates you will have to contact your service provider as they are the ones who make and push out the updates, but if you want to send it in to us we will do a factory reset for you and make sure all your settings are correct". Believe me I went through this yesterday and I have decided no one is ever gonna fix this piece of **** phone so now for me it's a media player and I am waiting on the galaxy note to hit verizon whilst in the mean time I am going back to my og droid 1.

Yeah thats not how its going to go with me. I'm a loud mouthed and irritable Italian. I will get to the bottom of this.... Or they will just hang up on me, but either way it won't go the same! lol
17th May 2012, 04:55 PM |#619  
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 363

More
Quote:

Believe me I went through this yesterday and I have decided no one is ever gonna fix this piece of **** phone so now for me it's a media player and I am waiting on the galaxy note to hit verizon whilst in the mean time I am going back to my og droid 1.

I got money off my bill for 1yr because they messed it up. And why not just use a custom rom, one of pax's builds will surely suit you up nicely!

@Rouge Leader "loud mouthed Italian" haha hell ya man a fellow Italian like myself can appreciate that any day!!

Sent from my R800x using xda premium
17th May 2012, 05:37 PM |#620  
Flag New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216Monster

I got money off my bill for 1yr because they messed it up. And why not just use a custom rom, one of pax's builds will surely suit you up nicely!

@Rouge Leader "loud mouthed Italian" haha hell ya man a fellow Italian like myself can appreciate that any day!!

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

SO I GOT AN ANSWER

Spoke to a very nice girl in tech support. Laid out the deal from the start, explained I already reimaged my phone, others have the same problem, etc. She told me that many people have called with the issue. Then she put me on hold for about 3 minutes while she did some research.

When she came back she said the latest word is that its an issue with Google's versions of their framework that they used in the update. I got the impression that the version of 2.3.4 that VZ customers were issued is not the same one that other R800 users got (as in it was custom made by VZ with Sony framework, probably why it doesn't have xLoud). She said that their engineers cannot fix it but they have been in touch with Google to try and find a solution. She could not give me any sort of ETA and apologized for the issue.

Thats prettymuch where I left it as the answer made sense and no reason to argue there. So they know about the issue, they are willing to fix it (if you believe them) but in theory they need Google to fix it. I can't believe no one tested this before releasing it, but then again it is Big Red.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rogue Leader For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Rogue Leader Ad-Free
17th May 2012, 05:53 PM |#621  
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 363

More
Quote:

SO I GOT AN ANSWER

Spoke to a very nice girl in tech support. Laid out the deal from the start, explained I already reimaged my phone, others have the same problem, etc. She told me that many people have called with the issue. Then she put me on hold for about 3 minutes while she did some research.

When she came back she said the latest word is that its an issue with Google's versions of their framework that they used in the update. I got the impression that the version of 2.3.4 that VZ customers were issued is not the same one that other R800 users got (as in it was custom made by VZ with Sony framework, probably why it doesn't have xLoud). She said that their engineers cannot fix it but they have been in touch with Google to try and find a solution. She could not give me any sort of ETA and apologized for the issue.

Thats prettymuch where I left it as the answer made sense and no reason to argue there. So they know about the issue, they are willing to fix it (if you believe them) but in theory they need Google to fix it. I can't believe no one tested this before releasing it, but then again it is Big Red.

I think KeiranFTW already mentioned that was the problem to! Pretty silly if it really wasn't fully tested, Verizon is slacking, I've always said their more concerned about spellings phones and making money then they are about giving updates. This only furthers proves it and, well, at least their attempting to handle it! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my R800x
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)