FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] Linux-on-Android project (Complete Linux Installer)

2,889 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,814

Post Reply Email Thread
17th May 2012, 02:20 PM |#381  
North Potomac
Thanks Meter: 899

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by justenk

Thanks, but i got the same result. Free ram is about 300-400mb.

Also, tried to install another busybox version, re-install rom, wipe everything, another script version.

Currently what I find is that the most robust img file is the earlier ubuntu10 version using LXDE. (You will have the option of choosing LXDE or gnome when you start up. The gnome version is buggy for me so I'm sticking with the LXDE version for now). Anyways, it always starts up very clean. No errors. It's been very stable. I've downloaded some sizable programs with no problem. So, so far so good.

BTW, the later 12.04 unity version has potential but I get these program or system errors that I don't quite understand yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mscion Ad-Free

17th May 2012, 02:48 PM |#382  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenRybnik

Ha, Eclipse on Prime over VNC. How's the performance, I've wanted to set that up, but haven't really had the absolute need as Vim has just been good enough for what I do for Java on the Prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryflanagan

Hi
So how does Eclipse run? I find it so slow even on a fast PC that I avoided putting it on the Prime!

To be honest I've only given it 30 mins over lunch and most of that was hunting around VNC viewers to find one that allowed me to Ctrl click, right click and use the arrows but it didn't seem too bad. It obviously isn't a full time option but good for the portability. I'll feed back how it works as I've got a fortnight away soon where I will be using it.

Quote:

Hi
I find Jump Desktop works very well, and I have tried them all. Well worth the money. All keys work as well as right click (just click the right side of the track pad) although I tend to use a BT mouse which works perfectly, including the scroll wheel.

Thanks - I'll take a look.
17th May 2012, 05:16 PM |#383  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_one

I asked earlier and did not get a response...
I am running noattach rom on ATRIX. It was working before on cm7 but now I can chroot fine but vnc just gives greyed out screen and x cursor.

That's exactly what I am getting on CM9..

I found a thread on XDA that compares ROMs as far as their ability to run Linux-On-Android

and apparently neither CM7 not CM9 is good.... Strange

I do have an ATRIX with webtop which I deleted after getting off OEM ROM. I'll try to add it back on to see if it reinstalls some missing components...
17th May 2012, 10:31 PM |#384  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by justenk

Iconia Tab A500 - Android 4.0.4 - BusyBox 1.20.0-Stericson
Script v7:
1|app_34@android:/sdcard/ubuntu # sh ubuntu.sh
Checking loop device... MISSING
Creating loop device... OK
mount: mounting /dev/block/loop255 on /data/local/mnt failed: Invalid argument
Error: Unable to mount the loop device!
1|app_34@android:/sdcard/ubuntu #

---

app_34@android:/ $ su
app_34@android:/ # cd sdcard
app_34@android:/sdcard # cd ubuntu
app_34@android:/sdcard/ubuntu # sh ubuntu.sh
Checking loop device... FOUND
mount: mounting /dev/block/loop255 on /data/local/mnt failed: Invalid argument
Error: Unable to mount the loop device!
1|app_34@android:/sdcard/ubuntu #

Try entering
Code:
sh ubuntu.sh ./ubuntu.img
If your image is called anything else change ubuntu.img to the name you your image.
17th May 2012, 10:42 PM |#385  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilrenaud

Thanks - I'll take a look.

Jump Desktop VNC client is awesome. Definitly the best I've found to work with the prime! Thanks!
18th May 2012, 08:09 AM |#386  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:

The ssh daemon is not installed by default so this is why you get the error. As zacthespack said, it would not affect the "boot" process.

@zacthespack, on the whole question of sshd, it might be better to actually install the openssh-server but in the initial init.sh ask the user whether they want to enable sshd and save this setting to bootdefaults.txt.

As it is, with sshd not even installed but the init.sh trying to start it simply throws up an un-necessary error which makes people think something is broken.

I definitely think starting sshd without the user explicitly choosing to is a bad idea, but the present situation is not ideal either.

Probably the best overall solution is to include a preferences section in your App where the user can choose such things as their resolution, to run sshd or not, etc.

Good news about this, in the next update sshd will no longer be started by default.
A config editor will be added to the app that let you turn on/off ssh as well as set resolution.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tuxling For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tuxling Ad-Free
18th May 2012, 08:13 AM |#387  
OP Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Likes: XDA,Coffee,Android,Beer Dislikes: No Beer
Thanks Meter: 1,814

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxling

Good news about this, in the next update sshd will no longer be started by default.
A config editor will be added to the app that let you turn on/off ssh as well as set resolution.

Guys give this man some thanks with out him the whole project would have pretty much stopped fot a month during my exams lol

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
18th May 2012, 09:25 AM |#388  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Hey all, just wanted to let you know that I have been working with Zac for a little over a week now on porting his build specifically to Tegra3 devices. While they appear to be mostly functional already, such as the Tranformer Prime TF201, I am working to integrate the NVidia specific code, drivers, and Kernel to get it really running! Once I am complete the build should technically be capable of running native, but I am not really sure how to set up the dual boot, so for now I am staying away from that. I will update as I get closer to a stable build.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TanKCR For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TanKCR Ad-Free
18th May 2012, 09:30 AM |#389  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanKCR

Hey all, just wanted to let you know that I have been working with Zac for a little over a week now on porting his build specifically to Tegra3 devices. While they appear to be mostly functional already, such as the Tranformer Prime TF201, I am working to integrate the NVidia specific code, drivers, and Kernel to get it really running! Once I am complete the build should technically be capable of running native, but I am not really sure how to set up the dual boot, so for now I am staying away from that. I will update as I get closer to a stable build.

Would love to help you test that for the TF201
18th May 2012, 09:37 AM |#390  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Once this build is complete, would it be able to be run on a tegra 2 chipset as well?

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2
18th May 2012, 09:52 AM |#391  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:

Would love to help you test that for the TF201

That would be perfect as I think it runs different on different android kernels. Right now I am having a graphics problem with it, but the desktop does run, its just all kludgy, lol.

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nscxp2005

Once this build is complete, would it be able to be run on a tegra 2 chipset as well?

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

I think so, the development package is fairly similar for the two procs. It depends on whether or not NVidia built it to detect. I do know that the insert commands for the Kernel itself are specific to Cardhu, which is the Tegra3. So it may run, but not sure if you would gain any benefits from it.
The Following User Says Thank You to TanKCR For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TanKCR Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)