a WM successor for the treo pro

Search This thread

PHILALIX

Jun 10, 2006
Hi guys,

I currently use for my professionnal use my beloved treo pro, even it lacks some beautiful details of my ex 750v :
- glossy plastic instead of "velvet" feeling body of the 750,
- less than quality keyboard compared to the circled arrangement of the keys, and touch contact quality of its predecessor,

But higher resolution, wifi inside are so important improvement, that I could not go without.

But, as I'm getting aged (ok, not so much), I tried several other devices, but I did not feel at home as I do with wm devices, specially because of the sync way I use for outlook.

I dont want exchange things, wifi "ad hoc" created lans (as I used for my pixi plus), don't want either to depend on a third part (gmail, g something).

I use also an iphone, really great device, because it CAN synchronize on itself (yes, using itune,I reckon).

New winmo7 can't do that (wonder why?)

I also bought Bb Torch, tried a bold 9780, looking the future dakota specs, but again, outlook sync is so aukward, and so slow

I kept the iphone for what it is aimed to : a fantastic mini tab, super internet experience, multiple apps, but not very usable as a simple phone.

So, is there a wm device that will finally match my requirements

- a physical keyboard, NOT sliding (very unconfortable ro use with only one hand, that is one off the main reasons I did not keep the Bb Torch),
- Bigger screen possible (at least, more than the native 320x320 treo's),
- outlook sync directely with my computer

As it seems to me, there is only one pricey choice. the motorola ES 400,but I really dont need the military specs, especially because it's making it bolder.

So, any advices are welcome !!

Philippe

iamhiguma

Jul 5, 2011
MILAN
Adding my 20 cents....

I also would like to change my Treo Pro with a new device with bigger screen and with possibility to have more apps, and that will allow me to buy and download updated maps for TomTom.

I have been searching the web before spending any money, and the final decision is that I will keep my Treo Pro forever.

- iPhone 4: could be the choice, as TomTom is supported, seems to synk Outlook (via iTunes, but better than nothing), has many apps available, but it needs a MINI SIM and I have a company SIM that i cannot change or cut.

- Android: sync with Outlook via cable does not work well, and I cannot use google because not allowed by my company. TomTom is not supported (yet ?), calendar will not handle recurring appointments after 3 months from today, Outlook contacts fields are handled differently so yuo loose all categories, groups and multimple phone nbrs for the same contact

- WinPhone 7: Outlook sync only via cloud, TomTom will never be available.

- WebOS: not so many apps available, including TomTom

- BBerry: I do not use push mail, Outlook sync has some problems, no TomTom.

I really hope my Treo Pro will last long. And if it dies, I can always switch back to my PalmOS Treo 650, that is still functional.. :)

scuafan

Sep 7, 2011
Successor to the Treo Pro?

Hi all. I too wondered what to do... I posted the following on another board:

"My 2yr old Pro is getting long in the tooth and I'm also unable to find useful apps for WM6.1 and the microUSB port died as well. So I'll be replacing this if I can find something viable. I'm after either Android or WM7 for the OS, so crackberries are out. Their newest has nice features but I don't want the BB OS...

Has anyone heard of any new smartphones that have a good touchscreen AND qwerty? I intensly dislike virtual keyboards, as I enter things by touch when I speed dial people. Can't do that on a pretend key. I use AT&T and would need a GSM phone.

Other than video, which is too tiny to bother with anyway, my Treo Pro has done everything I need it to do. Too many phones out now are either smartphones with NO qwerty or "messaging" phones without the capability the Treo has."

I DID get a lead that might work well, other than the problem with syncing Outlook:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey
The Motorola Droid Pro (and the soon-to-be released unlocked GSM Motorola Pro) look interesting...

I had seen a decent review on Cnet that seemed to say the GSM Droid Pro version would be out by now...

And on Aug31 Mobilegazette.com said "The Motorola PRO+ is an upgraded version of the Motorola PRO, which we suppose is pretty obvious from the name. The thing is that the PRO isn't even out yet, and with an anticipated launch date of October for the PRO+ then it's quite likely that the original PRO will be quietly canned."

It looks VERY interesting since it has the Pro form factor AND The Motorola PRO+ comes with a much larger and more usable screen, a 3.1" 480 x 640 pixel display with Gorilla Glass to protect it.

Does anyone else think this sounds like a worthy replacement for the Winmob 6.1 Treo Pro besides me?

sorry, the sysadmin won't let me post the link to it, so I'll try this: look for the Motorola PRO+ on mobilegazette com, it is in a list by manufacturer on the left side. Just scroll down to it.

norbusser

Sep 19, 2011
Treo Pro successor

I have been looking for a replacement for my aging Treo Pro for many months. I was contemplating buying a Blackberry Bold Touch, but they are not available yet on my carrier (AT&T) and cost more than $600 unlocked.

Then I found out about the Nokia E6.

The Nokia E6 has qwerty, touchscreen, and a d-pad (unlike the Bold Touch which has an optical trackpad). These seem like the most Treo-like features of any phone I have found yet. It seems to edit office documents, open pdf files, and sync with Outlook. An additional plus is that it is available on Amazon for $350 unlocked (cheaper than my Treo Pro or the Treo 680 that preceded it). It also has a 8 megapixel camera with flash and a newer browser than my Treo, two things I was hoping for in my next phone.

The drawbacks are smaller display (though with higher pixel count) and only a 680mhz processor. Some might say Nokia's move away from symbian is a drawback, but Palm no longer exists and I still like my Treo Pro.

I have never used a symbian device so I'm a little nervous about this phone, but if my Treo Pro continues to act up, I may have to take my chances and buy one.

Thoughts?

~SilverLad~

Jun 13, 2011
Girona
Been there myself (sort of speak).

Gone from a Treo 750 (...loooong time ago...) to a Nokia E72, then tried and Android device - after falling in love with Android, I have been looking for an Android device similar to the E72/BlackBerry devices, and although the waiting has felt very long, I think I have finally found the solution/right device: Motorola PRO+!

I'm getting my MOTOROLA PRO+ (AKA: MB632, "Elway Plus", apparently...), on Monday, from the UK.

This is a very good device (on paper at the moment, I will find out more in 48h when I finally have it) but for those of us that want a "bar" type, qwerty keyboarded, Android smartphone, for mostly emails, texting, calls (obviously) and - most important (at least as far as Im concerned): one of the best battery lives amongst all Android devices! - this is a dream! :)

iamhiguma

Jul 5, 2011
MILAN
Been there myself (sort of speak).

Gone from a Treo 750 (...loooong time ago...) to a Nokia E72, then tried and Android device - after falling in love with Android, I have been looking for an Android device similar to the E72/BlackBerry devices, and although the waiting has felt very long, I think I have finally found the solution/right device: Motorola PRO+!

I'm getting my MOTOROLA PRO+ (AKA: MB632, "Elway Plus", apparently...), on Monday, from the UK.

This is a very good device (on paper at the moment, I will find out more in 48h when I finally have it) but for those of us that want a "bar" type, qwerty keyboarded, Android smartphone, for mostly emails, texting, calls (obviously) and - most important (at least as far as Im concerned): one of the best battery lives amongst all Android devices! - this is a dream! :)

WOW ! I'm looking forward to read your feedback on the PRO+ !!! Particularly with regards to Outlook cable sync (recurring appointments more then 3 months in the future are handled ? How are the multiple phone nbrs for the sema contact stored on the phone ?)
Thanks !

~SilverLad~

Jun 13, 2011
Girona
WOW ! I'm looking forward to read your feedback on the PRO+ !!! Particularly with regards to Outlook cable sync (recurring appointments more then 3 months in the future are handled ? How are the multiple phone nbrs for the sema contact stored on the phone ?)
Thanks !

No probs! I will post my findings as I go along - very excited myself!! :)

~SilverLad~

Jun 13, 2011
Girona
MOTOROLA PRO+ "Temp Forum"

Im hoping not to be contravening any rules here but since there is barely any info on the MOTOROLA PRO+ at the moment (not much info either on its predecessor MOTOROLA (DROID) PRO), I though all little bits of infor around (I have posted a few things in different places) could be gathered in one place - HERE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=19973225#post19973225 ...at least until when (and if) a dedicated section is created for this device...

zener773

Oct 6, 2007
I'm leaning towards Windows phone 7 or IOS in worst case. I just find MS phones so productive over Android. I went from a Samsung Moment to Treo Pro. So far, it doesnt feel like a downgrade.