[BUG] Unresponsive device after overnight / long charge

Search This thread

hugo5

Jan 12, 2008
Greetings!

As mentioined in the first post of this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=418150&highlight=issue+list I have encountered similar problems.

I own my TP for 3 days (2 nights) and on both mornings after being charged over the night the TP was absolutely unresponsive and only to be awakened by a soft reset. It couldn't receive calls, and the alarm of course didn't work also (so I missed one this morning - but wasn't late at work) Anyway, this is a serious issue to me, since it makes the phone absolutely unreliable. And I am not in favor of doing regular hard resets by the way ...

Help on this would be really appreciated.

Greetings, hugo

Last edited:

thebiscuitboy

Aug 13, 2008
Mine does this everyday, but have you tried pressing one of the buttons like the home button, I know nothing happens for a minute but then it comes back to life with out the need for a soft reset :)

hugo5

Jan 12, 2008
Haven't tried ...

Well, I haven't tried pressing a button and waiting, but this is not exactly the behavior, to expect from a phone of this kind. You see this wouldn't solve the Problem of not being reachable by phone and missing appointments. In fact I don't know, that how long I was unreachable on phone and in my profession this isn't just disturbing but unacceptable.

Hugo

graham.hughes

Jul 23, 2008
I've had the same problem, not every time it's charged, but enough times to be a problem. I've switched off TF3D (Start, Settings, Today, Items, untick TouchFLO 3D, tick some standard items).

The problem has gone. Of course, so has TouchFLO.

Cheers,
Graham.

hugo5

Jan 12, 2008
The problem has gone. Of course, so has TouchFLO.

This could be of course a last resort, but TouchFlo is quite nice to use (although I cannot get TF to use PocketInformant as calendar app, although it is defined as standard - the original MS calendar app must be hardcoded somwhere ...). And of course as TF is one of the main features of this phone a great amount of it's costs are caused by that software. So if I couldn't use it, the phone would loose a lot of it's value.

Isn't there a sort of event log in wm6.1 to see, which event crashes the system?

Hugo

matmaneyre

Nov 8, 2006
Birmingham
I get a similar problem in that I lose all sound overnight, so I too miss my alarms. I also get no sound through the earpiece so, although it vibrates when it is supposed to be ringing, I cannot speak on the phone as I cannot hear the other person, and it seems they cannot hear me either, so it obviously affects the microphone as well. I have done a hard reset but it still happens, so it's definitely a bug with TF3D. I know this because if I try to play one of my music tracks using the music tab in TF3D, it plays for about 5-6 seconds (obviously with no sound) and then it crashes TF3D and restarts itself, which sorts the sound issue out. No need for a soft reset here but it's still unacceptable as my alarms are useless, and for £500+ I don't expect such a stupid flaw in the software. Hopefully, a ROM upgrade will sort this out, but when that will be is anyone's guess at the moment.

koppee1

Jul 1, 2007
Hmm...I'm just wondering why not more people are reporting this? Anyone NOT experiencing this problem?

hugo5

Jan 12, 2008
I am more and more convicee, that TF3D is quite a buggy piece of software (Aussen hui - innen pfui!). Additionaly to the described above, I got a "broken glass" effect yesterday.

I sure do hope, that HTC releases a ROM update soon, although up until now the Touch Pro isn't even listed on HTC's german support pages. :mad:

Maybe I'll give SPB mobile shell a try ...

Hugo

Double-UA

May 28, 2008
Antwerp
Hmm...I'm just wondering why not more people are reporting this? Anyone NOT experiencing this problem?

I have the same problem...
A few times already... even this morning.
TP is totally unresponsive and had to soft reset it to get it back alive.
ROM 1.90.401.1 WWE
Radio 1.02.25.19
Protocol 52.33.25.17U

hatswitch

Sep 13, 2008
I've had the HTC Touch Pro for about three weeks now, and since then it's crashed or become unusable at least once a day. I do not believe for one second that these issues are restricted to my handset, and comments on this forum back that up.

Problems I've experienced:

1. TouchFlo 3D screen corruption - "broken glass effect". The TouchFlo interface appears fragmented and split - it continues to function, but is unwatchable. The OS and other applications are unaffected. Cause unknown. Cured by soft reset.

2. Complete screen corruption + freeze. The entire screen gets a still image that looks like 'white noise' - random black and white pixels. The device is completely locked. Cause unknown. Cured by soft reset.

3. Device fails to wake up. Screen has been powered down, either having been switched off manually, or by timeout. Device later fails to respond to Power button. Happens occasionally without warning, and frequently (almost 100%) during overnight charge. Note - leaving the Touch Flo interface on 'Programs' tab (i.e. not 'Home') during charge seems to alleviate this (I don't yet have enough evidence to back up this claim).

I like this phone and its touch interface, but am pretty disgusted by the reliability issues, which I would guess are largely connected to the TouchFlo 3D code and/or hardware drivers. HTC really need to sort this out.

Last edited:

NetApex

Feb 4, 2006
Woodville
Just out of curiousity

Do you have your phone set to turn off the screen even if it is charging? I don't have the Pro... yet, but with my 6700 I used to have to ensure the screen stayed on over night if I wanted to have a chance at the phone actually being responsive in the morning so the alarm would go off. Otherwise it would be as your Pro's seem to be doing. Will not turn on or anything until a soft reset. (It is not a fix by any means, I am just curious if it is still the same patern.)

th1nm1nt

Feb 3, 2007
Mile High State
I never charge over night simply to avoid it being charged for 8 hours straight. I keep a charge kit at work, and charge during the day as needed. In less than an hour, I get full battery. Then, I sit it next to my bed at night with no failed alarms.

Maybe it doesn't like the long charges.

matmaneyre

Nov 8, 2006
Birmingham
I'm trying DCS's ROM now to see if it makes any difference at all. I'll report back in a couple of days. Maybe if I didn't have to charge it so often it wouldn't be so bad!

hugo5

Jan 12, 2008
Wether screen is on or not, it doesn't make a difference. (Why should it on a working phone?)

I sincerely hope, that if those strange behaviours are gone in non stock cooked roms, that there will be some in German language as well ...

I am looking forward to another night!

By the way, SPB Mobile Shell didn't quite meet my expectations. :( (eg. it has also the sucking MS calender hard coded)

griffonu

Sep 5, 2008
Experienced the "non-responsive in the morning" problem 2 times in 3 days, without the phone being charged. Both times I had the white noise effect on the screen.

Turned off TF3D (I like the phone more without it, actually) and the problem didn't occur in the last 5 days since I did this. It's most likely a TF3D related issue and it will prolly be fixed by the next update.

-KickFlo