My issue with the 10-post rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

shaunblyde

Jan 3, 2011
Hi all,

This will probably get deleted, but I'm just trying to contribute to discussion and get around what I consider a poor thought-out rule at the same time.

I am a long time reader, particularly of the [ROM] ICS 4.0.4 BCM RC3.4U0 GSM/CDMA <2012-05-19> (Bravo CM9 HWA) thread, but first time poster.

I consider myself to know more about the topic than a large number of the posters in that thread, though I certainly don't have knowledge on the subject anywhere near that than the experts in the thread. However, there have been many times when I have had the answer to someone's question, but have not been able to post.

The reason I cannot post is because the thread is limited to users who have made 10 or more posts. I can understand the need to filter out people who are asking the same question over and over again, but in doing so you filter out those who can genuinely contribute to the discussion. Just because I am not an active member in other forums of XDA, does not mean I am not able contribute to this thread.

So now, I have what I consider a reasonable question for the author of the thread, or another expert who may come across it. This question hasn't been asked before, and it bothers me that I cannot ask it. Other people may also benefit from me asking and receiving an answer to this question.

I thought about just creating 10 pointless posts in the general forum, but decided that would benefit no one. So here is my contribution to these forums, followed my 9 pointless posts. Kidding, I'll see whether I get responses to this and respond accordingly myself.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Shaun

P.S. I have to wait 5 minutes between editing posts as a new user to prevent spam? I've been here 5 months and not once posted anything, let alone spam.

Last edited:

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
Hi all,

This will no doubt get deleted, but I'm just trying to contribute to discussion and get around what I consider a poor thought-out rule at the same time.

I am a long time reader, particularly of the [ROM] ICS 4.0.4 BCM RC3.4U0 GSM/CDMA <2012-05-19> (Bravo CM9 HWA) thread, but first time poster.

I consider myself to know more about the topic than a large number of the posters in that thread, though I certainly don't have knowledge on the subject anywhere near that than the experts in the thread. However, there have been many times when I have had the answer to someone's question, but have not been able to post.

The reason I cannot post is because the thread is limited to users who have made 10 or more posts. I can understand the need to filter out people who are asking the same question over and over again, but in doing so you filter out those who can genuinely contribute to the discussion. Just because I am not an active member in other forums of XDA, does not mean I am not able contribute to this thread.

So now, I have what I consider a reasonable question for the author of the thread, or another expert who may come across it. This question hasn't been asked before, and it bothers me that I cannot ask it. Other people may also benefit from me asking and receiving an answer to this question.

I thought about just creating 10 pointless posts in the general forum, but decided that would benefit no one. So here is my contribution to these forums, followed my 9 pointless posts. Kidding, I'll see whether I get responses to this and respond accordingly myself

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
Shaun

P.S. I have to wait 5 minutes between editing posts as a new user to prevent spam? I've been here 5 months and not once posted anything, let alone spam.

If you know more about that topic, then you could have been sharing it all those months, by just making a few posts in your device's General thread. Or in it's Q&A thread. Or in a thread in the General Forum here. Or in the Off Topic forum. Pity.

Here is excellent advice on how to achieve 10 (and more) QUALITY posts.

Welcome to XDA.

One other thing, Dev threads are for development. If you want to help more people, start a thread like this one in your device Q&A area. You will be amazed at how many people you can help there.

Last edited:

shaunblyde

Jan 3, 2011
Thanks for your response, the link you gave was interesting and I should have looked for such information prior to posting. Considering I was quite blunt, I appreciate your helpful explanation.

Personally I still feel the rule is limiting many people from contributing from discussion that would otherwise get involved. I know there aren't exactly any other solutions to reduce the number of repeat questions, but my opinion is that more discussion is better than less, provided it is on-topic (even if it may be a "stupid" question).

I'll admit I'm not here explicitly to share my knowledge, I am here to gain knowledge for myself. I think most users here would be the same, although obviously there is a great community here that are not just in it for themselves. But if I see someone struggling with something that I know the answer to, I would be pleased to have the opportunity to give them a hand and give back in that manner, rather than lurk in silence.

I also do not consider myself an expert in any area XDA relates to. However having read the entire thread, referenced in the first post, over the months it has been contributed to, I consider myself able to help out there more than anywhere else on XDA. The Q&A type thread you mentioned is not specific to the knowledge I have gained from following the thread and it seems to more sensible to me to give my knowledge back to people where they will be looking for it.

As an aside, I'm not sure how much I would even consider the thread a development thread. For the most part it is one person developing (combined with his using work from other developers etc). What he does is excellent, no doubt about that, but it is basically him alone developing. The thread itself is mainly substantiated of feedback to improve to ROM or questions on any issues or the like. It is not used for collaboration as such. Any additional discussion would not hinder development collaboration, rather it would allow for more feedback for the developer and more knowledge for users of the ROM.

Thanks again for your reponse mf2112.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I thought I may achieve by posting here, as I'm sure you've seen it all before. So that said, if you wish to finish the discussion here that's fine by me, but if you do have more to add, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks.

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
The first few post restrictions are mostly for spam control. Otherwise new accounts would be opened and we would be flooded with spam posts advertising stuff in every forum.

Your device appears to be the HTC Desire from the ROM link. If you want to learn more, check out the other Desire subforums. Knowledge is everywhere on XDA. :cool:

I'm just like you, struggling to get something more in this forum. Just never give up.

Excellent advice.

Last edited:

chismay

May 5, 2011
LONDON
im not gonna lie i dont even know what the 10 post rule is?

yeah o course im thinking the obvious but im normally checking stuff before i do any actions anyway?

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
im not gonna lie i dont even know what the 10 post rule is?

yeah o course im thinking the obvious but im normally checking stuff before i do any actions anyway?

The 10 post rule is for dev forums. If you have less than 10 then it is supposed to stop you from posting there, however it seems not to be enforced sometimes in some dev threads.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

kreecher

May 22, 2012
Lockport
Similar situation here, but the rule is pretty standard at a lot of forums. Nothing to do about it but try to make 10 productive posts. Here's my first one. I noticed that the introduction threads are in each device forum, so an intro for each device will put me pretty close.

I'm a huge fan of the XDA community, and like the OP, I've been reading different threads for months. Looking forward to learning with you guys and hopefully contributing eventually. My experience in the field is limited, I learned basic web development in the early 2000s and have barely kept those skills up in the last decade.

Rooted EVO 4G - off contract, used mostly by 4 year old
Wife has stock EVO 3D - had S-ON root but got it put back to stock for her
I have an unlocked and rooted Motorola Photon, running CW7
Asus Transformer running stock ICS
Samsung Galaxy 10.1" running stock HC
I'll be getting an EVO View in a few days, will update at that time.

mengfei

Jan 20, 2010
Shenzen, China
i too am a long time member here in XDA, since i got the XDA II hmmmm or was it the casiopia :D

anyways i recently became active just this 2012 when i got my hands on the HD2 - what a magnificent phone & there are alot of magnificent devs & chef here in XDA.

just by asking a lot of "meaningful" question i got through the hurdles of flashing & upgrading & even made my own tutorial for the ultra noob's :p

whatever Rule or Restriction that is in placed now is for the good of the site & it's user after all this is a FREE Forum/ site & at the same time you get to learn from some of the greatest.

jeromejones

Feb 17, 2011
this 10 post rule has infuriated me. All it does is force people to spam so they can voice their concerns about a rom in a thread only allowing 10+ posters

conantroutman

Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Dec 10, 2009
this 10 post rule has infuriated me. All it does is force people to spam so they can voice their concerns about a rom in a thread only allowing 10+ posters

Forced to spam???
Forced?

If people feel the need to spam to reach ten posts then I dare say that they have nothing worth contributing to a development forum.

Sent From My Fingers To Your Face.....

Reactions: mikef

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets
The 10 post rule is for dev forums. If you have less than 10 then it is supposed to stop you from posting there, however it seems not to be enforced sometimes in some dev threads.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium

If you happen to have joined XDA prior to 2007 then the 10 post rule doesn't apply... I believe....

Reactions: mikef

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets

Well, let's look at it this way. What happens when you start to look for threads you can contribute to? You start to post and be a contributing member of XDA instead of a leech. No one likes leeches - they suck the life from XDA. So why don't you take that fury that you evidently are feeling and turn that into a force to be reckoned with? Become someone who is known for contributing.

garfunkel99

Apr 1, 2011
I understand being frustrated by the limit. However, once I decided I wanted to post in the dev forums, it took me less than two days to make 10 good posts. Two days sounds like a lot, but I would take that anyday to keep these forums as clean and awesome as they are.

The moderators already take on a huge responsibility - look at how many threads end up getting locked because someone gets on here and asks the experts to draw up a 20-step program for their own personal use instead of taking a few hours to read and process the large amount of content that is already here. Imagine how much worse this would be is such posts were also mucking up the dev forums.

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
Well, let's look at it this way. What happens when you start to look for threads you can contribute to? You start to post and be a contributing member of XDA instead of a leech. No one likes leeches - they suck the life from XDA. So why don't you take that fury that you evidently are feeling and turn that into a force to be reckoned with? Become someone who is known for contributing.

That is exactly what happened to me when I started here a few months ago. I wanted to post a question in a Sensation dev thread, ran into the limit, and now just a few months later, I am on here for hours every day in my "jobby" helping people in various threads in multiple forums. :eek:

hengsheng120

Feb 3, 2012
It's really easy to get 10 posts in less than an hour. Just answer some questions in q&a and general and yes, if can't easily answer any questions on this entire forum, then you really shouldn't be posting anything. Ever.

Sent from my htcLeo using xda vip edition

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pulser_g2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think it's better to follow the administrator rules they provided. But, for the first timer like me It's hard for me to make a
    10 post immediately eventhough I'm an avid reader of XDA FORUM for a long time.

I am going to have to disagree with you. If you've been here awhile as an avid reader, there should be plenty of posts that you can help others with in the General and Q&A sections. If you can't - then maybe the 10 post rule is working in this case.

We can with almost pinpoint accuracy identify if someone is going to be a problem user or a productive user by their first 5 posts, if not by just their first one.
    Hi all,

This will no doubt get deleted, but I'm just trying to contribute to discussion and get around what I consider a poor thought-out rule at the same time.

I thought about just creating 10 pointless posts in the general forum, but decided that would benefit no one. So here is my contribution to these forums, followed my 9 pointless posts. Kidding, I'll see whether I get responses to this and respond accordingly myself

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
    Shaun

If you know more about that topic, then you could have been sharing it all those months, by just making a few posts in your device's General thread. Or in it's Q&A thread. Or in a thread in the General Forum here. Or in the Off Topic forum. Pity.

Here is excellent advice on how to achieve 10 (and more) QUALITY posts.

Welcome to XDA.

One other thing, Dev threads are for development. If you want to help more people, start a thread like this one in your device Q&A area. You will be amazed at how many people you can help there.
    March 8th 2011 is the cutoff iirc

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

also I think it should be raised to higher number like 25, be glad members like me and cajunflavoredbob don't make the rules

You're absolutely right. I've been pushing to raise that limit to 50 posts before you can join in conversation in the dev fora. The only ones who complain about the rules are the ones who do nothing but leach off of our site and contribute nothing to it. The general excuse is that you want to report a bug. Do you honestly think that bug would not be found by someone else who can actually provide a proper bug report? Before you post a bug report, do you pull adb logs, provide a detailed description of the problem, or try to resolve it on your own? No, most of you make a post consisting of "browser FC'd for me." Who the hell does that help?

The bottom line is that if you can't make TEN contributory posts before sucking on XDA's tit for the rest of your tenure, then you don't belong here. This isn't a phone tech support forum. It's a DEVELOPMENT forum. We aren't here to make your phone kewl and sparkle pretty. We're here to make things. We're here to collaborate as a community and force our devices to do more than the OEMs allow. It's development for development's sake.
    Hi all,

This will probably get deleted, but I'm just trying to contribute to discussion and get around what I consider a poor thought-out rule at the same time.

I thought about just creating 10 pointless posts in the general forum, but decided that would benefit no one. So here is my contribution to these forums, followed my 9 pointless posts. Kidding, I'll see whether I get responses to this and respond accordingly myself.

Thanks for reading.

Regards,
    Shaun

March 8th 2011 is the cutoff iirc

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

also I think it should be raised to higher number like 25, be glad members like me and cajunflavoredbob don't make the rules