Android Piracy - Real numbers

Search This thread

thatdefault

Jan 15, 2012
Google, We demand GIFT CARDS!!! I use my father's credit card and I must pay at least 1 dollar for each payment :mad:

Reactions: iok1
W

WiredPirate

I don't know if you know this about me, but I don't speak whatever the hell language that is. As far as app purchases go, I love buying apps, I'm somewhat of a hoarder lol. And I check the Market for updates a couple times a day so I wouldn't even want an app I couldn't get updates to.

proxy0

Apr 8, 2012
Wow so much for free as in freedom here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZrWlvoMMoM

Last edited:

ancilary

Jun 17, 2011
Mysore
www.google.com
dont worry about privacy , hardwork never failes ..
just develop your games and you'll learn something .. dont think all users will go for piracy .. if your game is good then people will buy it

drhunter

Jan 5, 2012
Isn't there a way to let Google know which users are using it without having paid and have their accounts blocked/banned?

The_R

Jan 18, 2011
I think if you cannot solve this problem of your game being pirated, you should maybe think of a way of working around it. Make it free with ads. It is quite evident your game is really good and people are downloading it. If a lot of people use your game the ad revenue will be steady and in the long term fetch you a substantial amount of money.

Someone said about being able to block ads. Yes it is possible but many people don't block them. A few of them genuinely want to support the devs.

You can also implement in app purchases in it. Make a new mode or new levels for the game which isn't in the version that has been pirated. Put it in your next update for the game and make the game free. Have this new game mode get unlocked only by an in app purchase.

I know pirating is wrong and I'd hate it too if something like this happened with me and I also know it is really easy for me to say this as a third person, but you have to find a way around it. There is a huge market out there for your game and they want it free. You must try and take advantage of this fact.

Reactions: Sine.

Archpope

Jun 26, 2006
OC, CA
There will ALWAYS be people who pirate media purely for the sake of pirating. That first download probably got downloaded, .apk extracted, and posted straight to [you know where; I'm not posting it here] and then got refunded.

Actually, I think the "freemium" model is a great idea. Get the game for free, pay for advantages or more levels. I think given the choice, a majority of people who pirate regularly would rather get something legitimately so they can get the updates. They might not feel like they have a choice due to the 15 minute refund policy. Some apps you simply cannot evaluate in 15 minutes.

SifJar

Jul 30, 2009
I don't know a huge amount about Android piracy beyond you can easily download an APK and install it, but what I'm wondering is: is it possible to pirate in app purchases, or are they "safe"? Much as I dislike in app purchases (as a user) if they are indeed safe from piracy, I think they're great from a developer's point of view.

The_R

Jan 18, 2011
Saying something is 100% secure or safe is like saying it is 100% perfect. It is just not possible.

The goal of computer security is to make it difficult for the attackers to be successful. And you don't really hear much about in apps being manipulated much. So I guess that is one option to choose at least for now

thebobp

Feb 16, 2012
I, for one, would like to see which app this is.

Freemium is most definitely the most successful model out there. Not only does it have the initial hook of being "free", but it also appeals to our evolved addictions.

Ezekeel

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 21, 2011
There is license validation - but already cracked ;/

Wow, I knew Android piracy was bad, but I didn't realise it was that bad. The worst part is that whatever DRM or whatever you add, they'll crack it in days :( Tools like apktool or apk-manager or whatever, while designed to create mods and themes etc. for apps, make it all to easy to reverse engineer apps. Sucks, but I guess that's "how it is" :(

EDIT: It's not hard to see why many devs turn to putting ads in their apps and releasing for free.

You probably implemented that LVL example given in the Dev Help. That one is pathetic and my blind grandma could hack it with both hands tied behind her back. In fact there are scripts/programs out there that do it for you automatically, so every schmuck script kiddy can do it.

If you want to use Google's LVL service customize the library as described here: http://android-developers.blogspot.de/2010/09/securing-android-lvl-applications.html

tajniacki

Oct 14, 2011
Leszno
xelorians.com
You probably implemented that LVL example given in the Dev Help. That one is pathetic and my blind grandma could hack it with both hands tied behind her back. In fact there are scripts/programs out there that do it for you automatically, so every schmuck script kiddy can do it.

If you want to use Google's LVL service customize the library as described here: http://android-developers.blogspot.de/2010/09/securing-android-lvl-applications.html

Yes, you are right but now i think it is too late. There will be additional content available as bigger update ( second world ) for play - then i will try to implement higher copy protection.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google, We demand GIFT CARDS!!! I use my father's credit card and I must pay at least 1 dollar for each payment :mad:
    I think if you cannot solve this problem of your game being pirated, you should maybe think of a way of working around it. Make it free with ads. It is quite evident your game is really good and people are downloading it. If a lot of people use your game the ad revenue will be steady and in the long term fetch you a substantial amount of money.

Someone said about being able to block ads. Yes it is possible but many people don't block them. A few of them genuinely want to support the devs.

You can also implement in app purchases in it. Make a new mode or new levels for the game which isn't in the version that has been pirated. Put it in your next update for the game and make the game free. Have this new game mode get unlocked only by an in app purchase.

I know pirating is wrong and I'd hate it too if something like this happened with me and I also know it is really easy for me to say this as a third person, but you have to find a way around it. There is a huge market out there for your game and they want it free. You must try and take advantage of this fact.