FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] S-Voice and ALL I9300 goodies (Get whatever you want)

5,215 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,894

Post Reply Email Thread
22nd May 2012, 04:58 PM |#261  
Flag Halifax, NS
Thanks Meter: 5

More
getting network error. I downloaded from the mirror just 20 minutes ago. is that the correct version? or is the one on Google drive the only modified one. also I live in Canada, could that be the issue?

22nd May 2012, 05:02 PM |#262  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
These recent threads from XDA, and even more especially the tone from the XDA headline postings disgusts me. I thought XDA stood against piracy, but it's clear they don't. What's worse is that when Samsung blocks based on build.props, the attitude is that it's a "bug" to be "fixed". I can't even believe Engadget is getting on this train too.

Android is the first realistic open platform we have ever had for mobile devices, and things like this are ruining it. With openness comes respect, yes we can root our phones and get APKs and modify very easily the platform, unlike iOS or Windows Mobile. The respect is that you don't just rip everything out of whatever ROM comes along.

This is a Samsung proprietary app. It is 100% piracy, plain and simple. I get it if people just want to try out an app for personal curiosity and educational purposes for a short time. But this is far, far different. First of all this is a network-based service, so you are causing load, denying service to legitimate users who have paid (through the purchase of Samsung hardware) for this service, and causing extra costs on Samsung. This isn't like stealing cable, it's like stealing cell phone service from AT&T and talking on the phone all day without paying a dime. And when an attempt comes to stop it, not really a true lockdown but more like a signal "hey, guys, please stop it, this is for S3 people" you not only workaround it but spit in Samsung's face with the attitude "OMG WHY DID SAMSUNG BREAK MY S-VOICE!?!?! HOW DO WE FIX IT?!?" It's not your service to use!

This is why we can't have good things. These actions are seriously hurting the Android open source community and even the free software community. It makes the community look like a bunch of assholes. It's hurting the ability for us to mod our devices. The only rational response to all of this is for the OEMs to further lock down bootloaders, add encryption, prevent root access, remove ADB and developer access, etc. And to be honest, I can't blame them anymore. Not after seeing the community act like this and just act like it is their right to use S-Voice.

Open source and open platforms require respect from both sides.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gillius For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gillius Ad-Free
22nd May 2012, 05:06 PM |#263  
Recognized Developer
Flag Bronx, NY
Thanks Meter: 6,233

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillius

These recent threads from XDA, and even more especially the tone from the XDA headline postings disgusts me. I thought XDA stood against piracy, but it's clear they don't. What's worse is that when Samsung blocks based on build.props, the attitude is that it's a "bug" to be "fixed". I can't even believe Engadget is getting on this train too.

Android is the first realistic open platform we have ever had for mobile devices, and things like this are ruining it. With openness comes respect, yes we can root our phones and get APKs and modify very easily the platform, unlike iOS or Windows Mobile. The respect is that you don't just rip everything out of whatever ROM comes along.

This is a Samsung proprietary app. It is 100% piracy, plain and simple. I get it if people just want to try out an app for personal curiosity and educational purposes for a short time. But this is far, far different. First of all this is a network-based service, so you are causing load, denying service to legitimate users who have paid (through the purchase of Samsung hardware) for this service, and causing extra costs on Samsung. This isn't like stealing cable, it's like stealing cell phone service from AT&T and talking on the phone all day without paying a dime. And when an attempt comes to stop it, not really a true lockdown but more like a signal "hey, guys, please stop it, this is for S3 people" you not only workaround it but spit in Samsung's face with the attitude "OMG WHY DID SAMSUNG BREAK MY S-VOICE!?!?! HOW DO WE FIX IT?!?" It's not your service to use!

This is why we can't have good things. These actions are seriously hurting the Android open source community and even the free software community. It makes the community look like a bunch of assholes. It's hurting the ability for us to mod our devices. The only rational response to all of this is for the OEMs to further lock down bootloaders, add encryption, prevent root access, remove ADB and developer access, etc. And to be honest, I can't blame them anymore. Not after seeing the community act like this and just act like it is their right to use S-Voice.

Open source and open platforms require respect from both sides.

Grow some balls.

You don't pay for s voice hence its not piracy. Its a Samsung designed app yes but its nothing illegal about it as no one trying to turn a profit from it.

If Samsung have a real problem with the go arounds then they can simply contact xda n have xda mods take it down

GDrive Cm9/AOKP Themes Folder (not my themes and these are free themes credit to devs): goo.gl/JnLIS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ayysir For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd May 2012, 05:18 PM |#264  
Flag Lewes
Thanks Meter: 2

More
downloaded the hotfile and the first one as google docs doesnt seem to have it and still network error :/
22nd May 2012, 05:19 PM |#265  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayysir

You don't pay for s voice hence its not piracy. Its a Samsung designed app yes but its nothing illegal about it as no one trying to turn a profit from it.

First of all, just because something is "free" doesn't mean it's piracy to rip it and redistribute it to everyone. Try putting up a download site for Internet Explorer and see how far you go with that.

Secondly, people DID pay for it. You pay for it by buying the S3 device. It costs you $800. I don't see how you can call that free by any stretch. Or are you honestly telling me that you buy your PC from Dell or whoever, and because it comes with Windows on it that you "didn't pay for" now you can rip Microsoft Word from that Windows and post it on XDA? Are you really that delusional?

It's even WORSE than the run of the mill piracy, because it's a network service so Samsung is paying a lot of money to run these servers. You're also degrading the service for legitimate customers by using it. This is like stealing cable then when the cable breaks you call customer service to come out and fix it. It's gone past just being wrong, now it's wrong and insulting.
22nd May 2012, 05:21 PM |#266  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
The Wallpapers are Down!
22nd May 2012, 05:23 PM |#267  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
I had it running on my Galaxy Nexus, but it failed with the easiest tasks like saving an appointment or waking me up. Guess its not compatible, what I understand, but still kind of sad. Hopefully it will be fixed by some devs or a nice S3 rom is coming to my nexus ^^
22nd May 2012, 05:25 PM |#268  
Recognized Contributor / Developer
Flag Temara
Thanks Meter: 29,340

Donate to Me
More
@ithehappy : I don't know if you are using the same XXALE8 Svoice, because my hacked one is based on my deodexed XXALE8 and it's working without any signature issue.
22nd May 2012, 05:26 PM |#269  
Flag mumbai
Thanks Meter: 92

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillius

First of all, just because something is "free" doesn't mean it's piracy to rip it and redistribute it to everyone. Try putting up a download site for Internet Explorer and see how far you go with that.

Secondly, people DID pay for it. You pay for it by buying the S3 device. It costs you $800. I don't see how you can call that free by any stretch. Or are you honestly telling me that you buy your PC from Dell or whoever, and because it comes with Windows on it that you "didn't pay for" now you can rip Microsoft Word from that Windows and post it on XDA? Are you really that delusional?

It's even WORSE than the run of the mill piracy, because it's a network service so Samsung is paying a lot of money to run these servers. You're also degrading the service for legitimate customers by using it. This is like stealing cable then when the cable breaks you call customer service to come out and fix it. It's gone past just being wrong, now it's wrong and insulting.

i do agree with you but u know what everyone is monitoring the xda coz everyday
some one come with new devlopment so this news spread very fast i have seen lot of sites publishing this article and definetly samsung knows this i agree with the above guy that they can contact the xda and remove it and also they know the tweak that they have applied btw if they wanna change the app function they can also do it
and again i dont think so that samsung will do this only a crapple does this to earn profit
and last think this is gonna happen one day samsung also knows this and we too
so stop arguing and enjoy the new app
also....this is nothing wait for MAJEL in google i/o it will blow this away
22nd May 2012, 05:33 PM |#270  
Thanks Meter: 1,162

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekyfrogy

Yeah I'm having that same issue. Can someone put up a mirror?

If you search for s-voice mod fix in the forum you will find the original thread where the fix was posted and it has two additional links to the signed apk.
22nd May 2012, 05:58 PM |#271  
Recognized Developer
Flag Zrenjanin
Thanks Meter: 1,733

Donate to Me
More
It just wont work. Tryed to change build.prop, tryed version that doesnt require build.prop editing
I keed getting network error
Also tryed pushing file manualy

Im using Htc evo 3d gsm. Rom is ics with sense 3.6

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)