The Andraxis Project! Official thread.

Search This thread

blueblazer22x

May 3, 2012
I ordered revision 2 and it arrived with the arm unhinged from the body. I assume it was supposed to be together and I'm afraid forcing it in will break it. Has anyone else had to deal with this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1336755957793.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336755957793.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Jaspu

Jul 23, 2011
I ordered revision 2 and it arrived with the arm unhinged from the body. I assume it was supposed to be together and I'm afraid forcing it in will break it. Has anyone else had to deal with this?

Bad luck i guess :( i don't think its possible to force there without breaking anything ... So i guess only option is to return it to shapeways and ask for a new one.

blueblazer22x

May 3, 2012
I emailed shapeways about the issue. I guess if they can't replace it I'll try to mod it myself.

gilrad

Sep 7, 2008
Tokyo
xdaforums.com
From my contact with Shapeways, I was lead to believe that any problem that can be chalked up to printing errors they'll handle it. The question is how fast and how little trouble you have to go through.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA App

Finagle69

Apr 27, 2012
I placed an order a while back and will be receiving the part tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have any issues like the last few of you guys. I'll keep you posted.

blueblazer22x

May 3, 2012
Shapeways responded quickly be email and they are sending a replacement free of charge. I also get to keep the misprint, so I'll mod it till the reprint arrives.

Finagle69

Apr 27, 2012
Well i did have a problem... But a different one than others. see attached...

The bummer is that I really wanted this for the plane ride I'll take this Friday...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1337130129419.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1337130129419.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 168

gilrad

Sep 7, 2008
Tokyo
xdaforums.com
Okay... next chance I get, I am going to attach the separate arm part to the rest of the body by a thin connector that can be broken off. It is nice that Shapeways will respond quickly and resend a new one, but there are still a large number of bad prints and missing pieces.
Expect revision 3 to become available sometime next week that will hopefully address the large number of printing errors.

kcajjones

Jun 25, 2011
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
OnePlus 12
Okay... next chance I get, I am going to attach the separate arm part to the rest of the body by a thin connector that can be broken off. It is nice that Shapeways will respond quickly and resend a new one, but there are still a large number of bad prints and missing pieces.
Expect revision 3 to become available sometime next week that will hopefully address the large number of printing errors.

Sounds good to me, I still haven't taken the plunge, but as soon as Rev 3 is done, I shall grab one! :)

Finagle69

Apr 27, 2012
In light of my problem, Shapeways will be printing and sending me the boom arm soon. Then ill finally get to test it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

gilrad

Sep 7, 2008
Tokyo
xdaforums.com
Sorry for the slow update guys, my new job (JrHS English teacher) is really driving home how difficult it is to maintain these little projects with so little free time!

Anyway, updated to revision 3. If you're holding back, now is the time to grab it :)

Also, I would appreciate it if somebody were to make a video showing off the Andraxis in action. It was going to be a big task to get everything set up before (I don't do videos so it's all new to me), but now it'll be damn near impossible for me to get something out in a timely manner.

Thanks for all the support you guys. As usual I am always interested in any feedback or ideas to improve the project.

Reactions: Brazooka

iakovl

Jun 1, 2010
Tibirias
www.iopanel.net
Have to say I loved your idea, but due to cost decided to make my own low lvl hack

Ordered a car mount for the note, going to modify it for the controller

Sent from N7000 with paranoid 0.1

Finagle69

Apr 27, 2012
I got the boom arm in yesterday, so I was finally able to assemble everything.

First, the base portion is very loose on my controller. I had to get some paper and fold it multiple times to stick on the underside of the controller to beef it up to make the base snug.

Second, the thumb screw I had (generic from a PC) is either too thin or not long enough to go through the hole for securing to the controller. I had to improvise and use some random screw I had in the garage.

Thirdly, as gilrad has mentioned, the base that the phone sits on impedes on your pressing triangle or up pretty easily. I'll definitely need to dremel off some portion of it to make that area a little easier to access.

After all of that, I enjoyed the hell out of it last night. Played through Megaman 2, River City Ransom EX, and some Altered Beast.

Pro tip: In Nesoid, Snesoid, Gensoid; go to Other Settings, Shortcut Keys, map quick load to L2 and quick save to R2. Nice for getting to the save states readily.

gilrad

Sep 7, 2008
Tokyo
xdaforums.com
Glad to hear you got it working!

loose base: this was an intentional design decision. After ordering the revision 0 prototype and finding the fit is too tight, I decided it would be too risky to try to get a perfect fit on it, so I suggest you fill the space with something like blue tack or foam tape.

For the screw hole, are you talking about the front clasp that secures the unit to the controller, or the screw hole that secures the telescoping arm? On my printing of revision 1, the screw hole is perfect. Could you post some pictures of the curved surfaces of yours? This might be variation on account of the orientation it was printed in, you can tell which orientation it was done in by looking for "terracing" along angled and curved surfaces. In other words, you can see the layers that were latest out in the printing process.

It also might just be that your screws are different than the ones I use. if you can, I would like to see if other screws work better.

Phoenixwind

Aug 28, 2010
I must ask, what are the chances of this working nicely with the new 7" Nexus tablet that's going to be launching soon? I feel like that is the best use of a project like this, would it require a Rev. 4 or would Rev. 3 work for it?

This project looks awesome and I look forward to being able to try it some time. :)

gilrad

Sep 7, 2008
Tokyo
xdaforums.com
the arm is not long enough by it's self to latch on to a 7 inch tablet, though I might make a special version with an extra long arm if you want.

More importantly though, it would be highly impractical due to weight. It already feels really top-heavy with the Galaxy Note, anything larger and you would have to keep a death grip on it at all times or it might slip out of your hand!

If you are still undeterred, I'll see what I can do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    __NOTE:__
    Project is more or less finished. If you want to get in contact with me, it would be best to PM me. Also, there is a .step file on page 12 if your 3d printer can't do meshes.

Hello everybody and welcome!

Info
    The Andraxis project is 3d-printable mount/clamp/dock/holder thing that, when paired with the awesome Android Sixaxis controller tool, will allow you to turn your Android phone into a real mobile game platform.

The project can be bought from www.shapeways.com, I will be doing my best to keep its cost under $30 USD.

This project is going to be funded entirely by donations. That means on the Shapeways shop, I am not going to get a single penny of profit from each one sold. This ALSO means if I don't get any donations, I won't be able to improve on the design. The total cost for each revision I make for myself, living in Japan, is going to be $30 + $20 shipping. If you want to help me out, any amount of money will help. Just click on the "donate" button to the left, or send some money to my paypal account: gilradthegreat@yahoo.com

What you will need:
    Two standard 3mm screws. These are the same screws you can find in your PC case. One is to fasten the dock around the sixaxis controller, the other is used to lock the telescoping arm into position.

Some rubber tack or foam tape. Or if your cellphone has a silicone case, that might do just fine as well. Essentially, you need something that will give it extra traction to reduce the risk of slippage.

The Android Sixaxis controller tool, or some way for your phone to read the input from your sixaxis controller (can't Android 4.0 do that natively now?).

A sixaxis controller. If this project takes off, I might make different versions for other 3rd party controllers as long as they work on the software front. If you have a 3rd party controller you want to work with, give me its dimensions and as long as it doesn't require a drastic redesign I'll see what I can do.

Post-production:
    The material used his highly porous and has a rough, gritty texture. The white, undyed material yellows somewhat when exposed to ultraviolet light (read: sunlight). Because of the porous and gritty texture, it also traps dirt and grime very easily. Pretty much, don't expect it to stay pristine and clean without any post-production methods. I hear varnish works well, but there's a whole section devoted to post-production at the Shapeways forum. I haven't experimented with the pre-dyed material yet, maybe it will fare better without any post-production.

Additionally, a number of the tighter interactions will need to be worked a few times to smooth them out. Examples being the locking clasp for the arm hinge and the sliding mechanism for the telescoping arm.

UPDT 11/8/2012

Looking at the competition (Gameclip, Icontrolpad 2), I would say my project is no longer "first there". So unless I come up with an awesome revision idea, there will probably be no more updates to the project.

As I originally planned from the start, along with the ending of this project, I will also be releasing the source so anybody who wishes to make their own modifications can do so themselves (or if they simply want to study it, though I'm terrible at notating stuff, sorry).

The file format is a .3dm file, this is a Rhino3d NURBS modeling filetype. If you can't use Rhino3d, you could still get the .stl file from the Shapeways website.

UPDT 5/23/2012

Due to a large number of pieces getting lost in the printing process, the project is now all one piece, with the arm boom attached to the main body by a small pip. A razor is required to get everything to fit together perfectly.

Just to clarify, Shapeways have been incredible with printing and sending replacements when they lose pieces, but it's inconvenient for everybody involved so I changed the design to minimize these complications.

Revision history:
    Note: "Blind" means I haven't received that particular version yet, so I cannot comment on first-hand experience.

Revision 3
    - Blind, but no major design changes so it should be fully functional.
    URL: http://shpws.me/73sc

MODIFICATIONS:
    - Connected the separate arm to the body by a small pip. If getting it clean is too time consuming or difficult, I could work with orientation; my initial intention is to make things easier on the Shapeways crew by making sure Andraxis doesn't take up much printer space when they're printing them.
    - Added a little stand in the back. I pretty much eyeballed the dimensions so it's not guaranteed to work, but it should be fairly easy to remove if you have the right tools and it's not doing it's job and just annoying you.
    - Shortened the bottom graspers. In my own experience having them extend over the face buttons sometimes meant they got in the way when playing games. Shouldn't be a problem any more, and with how sturdy the grippers are when given foam tape or a silicone case, I'm not worried about decreased gripping power.

Revision 2
    - BLIND, though I didn't make any drastic changes to the design so it should work just fine.
    - Shapeways link

REV. 2 DESIGN MODIFICATIONS:
    - Added a screw hole to the side of the telescoping arm. This should allow it to be more pocketable, without having a big screw sticking out and making its pocket profile larger.

Revision 1 - Updated! 02/24/2012
    - Received and fully functional!
    - Shop url

REV. 1 OUTSTANDING ISSUES:
    - The 2mm size correction from rev. 0 worked perfectly for the length of the project, but the thickness was not needed so now there is an extra 2mm of thickness. This can easily be corrected by foam tape or blue tack for now, doing so still makes it nice and tight. Will take 1mm off the thickness (going slowly to avoid having another non-working model).
    - The 0.2mm correction for the sleeve was not enough. That or the dying process I experimented with trying out made the extending arm "swell" a bit. This is probably the biggest concern for rev.1 and is something you should consider if you don't want to wait for rev. 2. A good 30 minutes of sanding and "working" the telescoping mechanism should make it somewhat serviceable, but its still way too tight to expect it to work well for smaller phones. Will change it to a 0.5mm total correction.
    - The support walls to the extended lower gripping prongs were mistakenly made a little thin. Its not a huge concern but since the prongs protrude out so much I want to make them as robust as possible. Will change from 1mm to 1.5mm. For those curious, the lower gripping prongs are now a total of 79mm wide. From my testing this has proven to be more than sufficient to hold the cellphone in place.
    - The screw hole on the front clasp was made a little too deep. Its still perfectly serviceable (and able to hold it shut despite having two layers of foam tape padding the spaces between the controller and the project), but fixing this will make the clasp even more robust.
    - The project information engraved on Rev. 1 is difficult to read. Will switch it to an emboss as what Rev. 0 was.

Other notes
    - The screw holes are now a little tight. Unfortunately, a difference of 0.25mm is in the range of "random variance by the 3d printing process" so I don't think I would accomplish much by re-sizing it by 0.125mm. Its not a concern for the clasp screw hole because people aren't going to be unscrewing it all that often, but it might make the locking mechanism a bit of a pain to utilize. I'll keep it the size it is for now and observe if the screw hole gets easier to work with time.

Revision 0
    - RECEIVED. Youtube video.
    - Non-public.

REV. 0 OUTSTANDING ISSUES:
    - The telescoping arm is too tight and its a real pain to insert into the sleeve. Added 0.2mm of clearance.
    - The smaller screw hole is too small for any screws. On the other hand, the larger screw hole fits standard 3mm screws perfectly (they're the ones you would find on your PC case, for example). Removed the small screw hole, and resized the larger one by making it 0.25mm smaller to give it extra grip.
    - The curves from the analog sticks are not high enough, and the face plate doesn't fit very well.
    - Additionally, the hole for the Playstation button is too high. The face plate has been adjusted accordingly.
    - The lower gripping prongs are too close-set and they don't extend out long enough. Adjusted from extending 6mm out, to 10mm. Widened the grip on each of the lower prongs from 10mm to 25mm.
    - The clasp in the front is not needed. Replaced it with a screw hole.
    - Despite having given extra space generously, the whole fit of the holder is way too tight around the controller. Added 2mm of clearance on all dimensions.

Other notes:
    - The snap-in mechanism for the telescoping arm is a little stiff, but it works perfectly after its been worked a few times.
    - The holder is designed to be used with rubber tack for extra traction (or a silicone phone case). The phone slipped out of the holster at the end of the video because I haven't gone to the store to get some tack just yet.

____

Disclaimer:
    As you might expect, I take no responsibility if your cellphone drops out and cracks, or if the latest blind revision for some reason doesn't work (if you get missing parts, if the joint fuses, or if there are any other problems that are obviously the result of the printing technology, contact Shapeways and they should straighten things out). As long as I am able to, I intend to address any design issues that may come out, but especially in the early stages of this project you shouldn't expect a 100% working product.

BIG THANKS to:
    xda user moviecut for sending a donation before I even had a working version to show!
    Yup i got it last friday (; just had some trouble finding cable for my camera. There is only 1 minor thing.. it's not tight enough, but it's fixable by putting some paper between it and the controller. And i can hold it upwards and phone is not gonna go anywhere (Galaxy s2), so its tight enough for me. Didn't put any foam tape, just using my silicon case.

I love it! Just buy it, you won't regret. Oh yeah, and thank you gilrad for making this possible!
    Made some progress, draft 2:
    https://tinkercad.com/things/2pqYnbHJpFl

But I'm stuck at a roadblock. I need to figure out how to implement the "telescoping zipper" for the adjustable arm for rev3.

I downloaded the Rhino3D program, but failed to make the object. Its just way too complicated for me. But I did test that the .stl from TinkerCAD works so I guess you can just keep downloading the revisions and adjusting it with your program of choice.
    I'll stick with TinkerCAD hopefully manage some success with this project I don't want to let anyone down.

To do:
    Once I do draft 3 I will print it up, find all faults and fix them up.
    In the same time, I will thin down some surfaces as well as thicken up others.

The last piece of the puzzle would be to accomplish the telescoping arm with a thicker layer to make it durable (unlike some crappy phone holders).

After that hopefully the 4th draft is *perfect enough* for everyday use, and ready to be printed for everyone/mass.
    Hello,

You can buy rev.1 right now if you don't want to wait, but I haven't received it yet (I expect it to arrive around the 20th), so I can't guarantee it will work without a hitch.

It was designed to accommodate the Galaxy Note as the largest dimensions, and the iPhone as the smallest dimensions.

Shut up and give him your money!

Just waiting for your feedback madfatter before buying one =) (just to make sure there are no major flaws)

I will give feedback and a small donation for all the work when my version arrives.

It is fantastic! Nothing at all wrong with it. I have a galaxy note and it fits perfect. Just added foam tape and I cut up one of those grippy cell phone pads for the car to put make sure it is secure to the controller. Just order one, I promise you will not regret it. I took a bunch of pictures I will upload, just need to get some things off my plate first.