[KITCHEN] MIUI v4 Theme Kitchen [WIP!!] [Beta 1] [5/25/12]

Search This thread

bliind

Jan 28, 2009
Hamden, CT
So, I'm a themer at heart, and I love MIUI. Sometimes making MIUI themes gets me confused, I have a nice compile script set up for .9.pngs but then the folders and zips and etc etc, sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed and I completely lose myself in what I was doing. So I decided to make a sort of kitchen, resembling dsixda's ROM kitchen.. currently it's still kinda far off, but that is the ultimate goal.

This is not a graphical tool. This is not an image manipulation tool.

Basically, you take the apks you want to theme and put them in their own folder. Using framework-res.apk and framework-miui-res.apk isn't 100% necessary, but if they're not included, there's a chance the apks will not decompile properly. It will install the two frameworks if they exist, and then decompile all the apks in the folder. It goes into the AndroidManifest.xml file to get the package name (ie com.android.mms) and changes the name of the folder to it. It takes colors.xml and turns it into a theme_values.xml. It then deletes all the extra files that are not needed for a theme, and creates a generic description.xml file. It tells you to edit your pngs, description, and theme_values and run the compiler.

The compiler runs in the same directory, and compiles all the .9.pngs in each separate folder, puts the zips of them with no zip extension into a new "theme" folder, then puts it all together into an mtz in that theme folder.

If you understand MIUI theming, I hope this makes sense. I have a little video showing it off:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xg6UHzNjrq8

I plan on prettying it up a little bit more and I want to make a menu to use for future versions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to use it:
Extract v4tk folder somewhere, and add it to your PATH
Create a new folder, copy and paste the apks you want to theme into it.
- framework-res.apk and framework-miui-res.apk from the same build as the apks you're trying to edit is essential unless you already have them installed with apktool
From terminal in this folder, run "mktemplate" - this makes all the magic happen, and it actually creates a description.xml based on your input.
Edit the pngs, delete the ones you don't edit, for .9.pngs make sure to leave the 1px border alone unless you know what you're doing
Edit the theme_values files, remove the lines you didn't make changes to. Make sure no @color:android/red or whatever are in them. Hex argb only.
Go back to your terminal, run "mktheme" - this compiles all the .9.pngs, packages everything up, and creates an mtz based off your input for a filename. The mktheme script also supports lockscreen, wallpaper, icons, and preview folders... The template does not create these, but if you make them, the mktheme script will package them into the resulting mtz.

For linux or possibly cygwin (should run fine in terminal on OSX - untested though) only currently. I'm afraid it's been over a decade since I've messed with batch scripting, and before I go through the hassle of putting together a windows version, I want to have a complete project.

Also, just wanted to say one of the main reasons I'm releasing this tool is because MIUI v4 is changing a lot week to week; sometimes there's new images, sometimes there are new colors in the theme_values. If I made a template, it'd be obsolete in two weeks time :p

Also, this will work with any* apk for your theming pleasure, not just MIUI apps.

*maybe there's an app it can't decompile. shouldn't be, but be warned :p

Finally.. Download: http://lz.gd/v4tk

Last edited:

Tydi

Dec 26, 2008
Paris
Wow, seems impressive!
A Gui intefarce to exploit pngs with preview would be awesome !
Think this is a huge work

bliind

Jan 28, 2009
Hamden, CT
I've uploaded it with some minor cosmetic changes. It's completely functional, but not quite where I want it to be yet.. OP has been updated with some basic instructions on how to use it, post here or come find me in #miuithemes on irc.freenode.net for any issues :)

Reactions: densinyo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I'm a themer at heart, and I love MIUI. Sometimes making MIUI themes gets me confused, I have a nice compile script set up for .9.pngs but then the folders and zips and etc etc, sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed and I completely lose myself in what I was doing. So I decided to make a sort of kitchen, resembling dsixda's ROM kitchen.. currently it's still kinda far off, but that is the ultimate goal.

This is not a graphical tool. This is not an image manipulation tool.

Basically, you take the apks you want to theme and put them in their own folder. Using framework-res.apk and framework-miui-res.apk isn't 100% necessary, but if they're not included, there's a chance the apks will not decompile properly. It will install the two frameworks if they exist, and then decompile all the apks in the folder. It goes into the AndroidManifest.xml file to get the package name (ie com.android.mms) and changes the name of the folder to it. It takes colors.xml and turns it into a theme_values.xml. It then deletes all the extra files that are not needed for a theme, and creates a generic description.xml file. It tells you to edit your pngs, description, and theme_values and run the compiler.

The compiler runs in the same directory, and compiles all the .9.pngs in each separate folder, puts the zips of them with no zip extension into a new "theme" folder, then puts it all together into an mtz in that theme folder.

If you understand MIUI theming, I hope this makes sense. I have a little video showing it off:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xg6UHzNjrq8

I plan on prettying it up a little bit more and I want to make a menu to use for future versions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to use it:
    Extract v4tk folder somewhere, and add it to your PATH
    Create a new folder, copy and paste the apks you want to theme into it.
    - framework-res.apk and framework-miui-res.apk from the same build as the apks you're trying to edit is essential unless you already have them installed with apktool
    From terminal in this folder, run "mktemplate" - this makes all the magic happen, and it actually creates a description.xml based on your input.
    Edit the pngs, delete the ones you don't edit, for .9.pngs make sure to leave the 1px border alone unless you know what you're doing
    Edit the theme_values files, remove the lines you didn't make changes to. Make sure no @color:android/red or whatever are in them. Hex argb only.
    Go back to your terminal, run "mktheme" - this compiles all the .9.pngs, packages everything up, and creates an mtz based off your input for a filename. The mktheme script also supports lockscreen, wallpaper, icons, and preview folders... The template does not create these, but if you make them, the mktheme script will package them into the resulting mtz.

For linux or possibly cygwin (should run fine in terminal on OSX - untested though) only currently. I'm afraid it's been over a decade since I've messed with batch scripting, and before I go through the hassle of putting together a windows version, I want to have a complete project.

Also, just wanted to say one of the main reasons I'm releasing this tool is because MIUI v4 is changing a lot week to week; sometimes there's new images, sometimes there are new colors in the theme_values. If I made a template, it'd be obsolete in two weeks time :p

Also, this will work with any* apk for your theming pleasure, not just MIUI apps.

*maybe there's an app it can't decompile. shouldn't be, but be warned :p

Finally.. Download: http://lz.gd/v4tk
    I've uploaded it with some minor cosmetic changes. It's completely functional, but not quite where I want it to be yet.. OP has been updated with some basic instructions on how to use it, post here or come find me in #miuithemes on irc.freenode.net for any issues :)